TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief II: The Metal Age (Nov 4, 1999 prototype)

Clearinghouse

Thief II: The Metal Age (Nov 4, 1999 prototype)

Now this is an actually interesting game leak!!

Download link

Fingers crossed that the original 96-97 Dark Project alphas/betas leaks too

Zombified
    no (bits of) source code included, right?

Well spotted... er... *checks notes* Twitter user Skacky :P

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Well spotted... er... *checks notes* Twitter user Skacky :P
    Hey...I know who this guy is

Yeah, those crazy Twitter users, what will they do next...

Really fun to explore. Party and Blackmail seem the most complete out of any of them. They look so different too. Anyone else get these levels working too?

I was going to ask if anyone has actually been able to install this thing yet. I checked out the individual levels using Dromed, but the AI are all frozen and non-functional. I tried running setup, even using the ancient -lgntforce parameter, but nothing seems to work. Maybe someone has an old Windows 95 machine lying around somewhere.

Quick update: Some success. I was able to get the installer running by going in to the properties of Setup.exe and setting it's compatibility to Windows95. So the game installs, Windows then forced me to install another program called Direct Play and reboot.

It put a shortcut on my desktop that points to Dromed.exe, not Thief2.exe, so it must be a special version of Dromed running specifically for this demo (Thief2.exe doesn't even exist in the installation). When I run it, I'm able to get into the normal Thief menu system, play with options, etc. But when I try to start a mission, it plays the briefing video (a placeholder in this case) but then I get a black screen and my PC freezes. The only way I was able to get out of it was by rebooting.

Tried setting Win95 compatibility on Dromed.exe, but that didn't work.

Edit: Actually, it's working now. The framerate is terrible, and everything is incredibly dark, even with the gamma all the way up, but I'm able to get into the mission and see AI walking around. I think I thought my PC froze earlier just because there is so little light. My work PC is a POS anyway, so I'll be anxious to try this on my home setup tonight.
    Last edited by Brethren; 21st Sep 2022 at 16:50.

Installing it on Windows 11 worked for me really well with no tweaking at all. I then just dumped NewDark in there and it works like a charm.

Very interesting to see one of my all time favourites in a completely different light. So much can come together in 4-5 months on a game project. It's amazing.

I mainly just used a newer T2 install and replaced the RES, dark.gam, gen/convict with the one from the alpha. It definitely works in Dromed, if you try hard enough
    You'll have to Re-Light and Compute Pathfinding only and hope it works. Some of them crash when Pathfinding is on. Also Re-Lighting creates a weird blue tint, but the levels are too dark without doing it

My opinion of the Alpha Levels
    ----------------------------------
    Interference crashes to the menu with Pathfinding
    Shipping works with Pathfinding, but is mostly empty
    Framed works with Pathfinding and is interesting compared to the final version
    I couldn't get Ambush to work at all. Crashes to desktop no matter what I do. Deleting all the objects let me explore, but when I got to Garret's apt Dromed still crashed to the menu
    Eavesdropping has only a few rooms
    Bank works with Pathfinding, but Workerbots will send a lot of errors when startled. The placeholders for bots are funny though
    Blackmail works with Pathfinding, I couldn't figure out how to get to some places so I just unlocked the doors xD. There was so much more vegetation outside in the alpha version. Both the top of stair convos are hilarious too
    Courier crashes like Ambush does too. Not sure whats causing it
    Blood is barely made
    Party works with Pathfinding, it was fun to explore. It's a lot different. Theres a lot of Guards creating errors, but it still works
    Casing and Masks are pretty empty, but a lot of the level is laid out
    Cargo is barely made
    Kidnap is pretty empty, but a lot of the level is made
    Soulforge only has the outside of the Temple made

can we please get some footage,i want to see it

curious to see if dewdrop is in this version?

I might make a video on it soon

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    can we please get some footage,i want to see it

curious to see if dewdrop is in this version?
    Unfortunately Dewdrop is not. Level 9 is barely made. I uploaded levels 1-3 though. Will be uploading more soon. Need to edit them still.
    https://youtu.be/c_81F_JJDLQ

thank you phantom

Thief 2 Early Prototype as a FM...

Just in case any of you wanted to check out the missions as a fan mission, I've made one. Check the readme for details on it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cv06aduq5...%20FM.zip?dl=1