TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: UPDATED: Thief II: The Metal Age 20th Anniversary Contest - Mar 23-27, 2019

Classical Master 2008
    I honestly would not recommend any mission to five-years-olds. We may not realise it because we are adults and used to it, but Thief is pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I honestly would not recommend any mission to five-years-olds. We may not realise it because we are adults and used to it, but Thief is pretty scary.
    Probably you are 100% correct on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    Probably you are 100% correct on this.
    I first played this game by helping my dad when I was little. Like 5 or 6. Some parts freaked me out alot lol. Mainly the skull when you die. I think the zombies in Thief 1 scared me more than anything in Thief 2. That was also 20 years ago lol.

Exactly, that's why this game is rated M for Mature. This is not a good game for anyone under 13 years of age. So, viewer discretion is adviced.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    Exactly, that's why this game is rated M for Mature. This is not a good game for anyone under 13 years of age. So, viewer discretion is adviced.
    I knew Thief is rated M but some fms are a different animal and I thought maybe there are some of them I could safely play with my kid because he realy loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    I knew Thief is rated M but some fms are a different animal and I thought maybe there are some of them I could safely play with my kid because he realy loves it.
    I don’t know, I find Thief a little too violent for a child. They don’t understand what’s going on and they may think it’s ok to kill someone and it’s not. Just common sense. Not trying to judge or anything.

Sure, but if there's any game where you don't have to kill people to play it, it's Thief. It all comes down to what mission you're playing and what your play style is.

Haha, true. That's right, and that's what makes Thief such a unique game. You don't have to kill anyone in a single mission, unless if the mission says you have to assassinate a specific individual in order to complete the mission, otherwise the game can be played without taking a life.

Quote Originally Posted by ashadowagent View Post
    I first played this game by helping my dad when I was little. Like 5 or 6.
    Same for me, though I think I might even have been a little younger.

@Kin Certainly some discretion is a good idea; you might want to go so far as to preview the missions before you involve your son. I can only speak from personal experience, but the worst thing seeing Thief at a young age did to me was make me end up here. That was only from seeing the base games though, and I know a lot of fan missions are more intense. Still, kids are usually a better judge of what's suitable for them than most people tend to think. If they don't like what they're seeing or think it's too intense, they'll just leave.

You will be fine with Fierce Competition as it has no spooky bits at all and has a pretty cozy presentation.

OMG...I have been so gobsmacked by the Covid Saga,that I forgot to look here for a week or so.....a big thank you to ALL the authors....I will download them now...this will make our quarantine a little more bearable too.

Downloading downers

Hi all - keeping safe I hope!
    I just tried downloading Skajven's 'Where the Unkown Lurks' from Taffer's Paradise but Chrome gives me a potential malware warning on my PC
    Can anyone confirm that the file is ok or should I just get from another site?
    Thanks

... what a shame we have nothing to do but play Thief ....

It’s safe

Quote Originally Posted by TafferT View Post
    Hi all - keeping safe I hope!
    I just tried downloading Skajven's 'Where the Unkown Lurks' from Taffer's Paradise but Chrome gives me a potential malware warning on my PC
    Can anyone confirm that the file is ok or should I just get from another site?
    Thanks

... what a shame we have nothing to do but play Thief ....
    Good thing you mentioned that issue, I haven't played that FM yet. I'll remember to exclude the FM to not scan the file from my antivirus software so it doesn't mistakenly think it's a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    You will be fine with Fierce Competition as it has no spooky bits at all and has a pretty cozy presentation.
    Thanks! we enjoyed the mission. Real masterpiece.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    Same for me, though I think I might even have been a little younger.

@Kin Certainly some discretion is a good idea; you might want to go so far as to preview the missions before you involve your son. I can only speak from personal experience, but the worst thing seeing Thief at a young age did to me was make me end up here. That was only from seeing the base games though, and I know a lot of fan missions are more intense. Still, kids are usually a better judge of what's suitable for them than most people tend to think. If they don't like what they're seeing or think it's too intense, they'll just leave.
    Very good idea to preview some missions on youtube walkthrough channels for example.
    You are spot on to the fact that kids will decide if it is too intense for them on their own. Noticed that myself with my kid.
    Thanks for the advice!

*.7z files?

I'm in southquarter.com and there's the whole list of Contest FMs for TMA20AC. However some of the files are not known *.zip files. It says *.z7 on those files.

Do I just change the extension to Zip? I don't know if that will work. I don't Think they are zipped. I remember changing game files when people saved the game file names with spaces, but that was easy to fix...

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte6 View Post
    I'm in southquarter.com and there's the whole list of Contest FMs for TMA20AC. However some are the files are not known *.zip files. It says *.z7 on those files.

Do I just change the extension to Zip? I don't know if that will work. I don't Think they are zipped. I remember changing game files when people saved the game file names with spaces, but that was easy to fix...

Any ideas?
    It will work and it's better as the compression is more efficient. Just use FMsel or Angeloader.

Yeah as long as you arent using some stupid crap like Darkloader they will load just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    Yeah as long as you arent using some stupid crap like Darkloader they will load just fine
    I wouldn't call that "just fine". They load significantly slower which is very annoying when you refresh a list of 948 FMs and they are the only FMs who stick out. ZIP is the best choice.
    I don't undertand why few people make them in z7

Quote Originally Posted by Karras35 View Post
    I wouldn't call that "just fine". They load significantly slower which is very annoying when you refresh a list of 948 FMs and they are the only FMs who stick out. ZIP is the best choice.
    I don't undertand why few people make them in z7
    Because the compression is more efficient (files are thus less heavy), and they accelerate the obsolescence of stupid crap like Darkloader.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789