TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SS3 in trouble? :(

Interesting that System Shock is supposed to be Cyberpunk... I never saw it that way. It's a sci-fi title for me, like Prey. And, Prey is pretty damn good at mimicing System Shock, while bringing a lot of new to the table. One of the best modern title I've played in the last 10 years. IMO, Arkane really nailed that style of gameplay.

Shame that nowadays' target audience consists of brain dead, bored zombies, otherwise we would surely see a Prey 2, or a Dishonored 3.

It's like saying Lord of the Rings is fiction rather than fantasy. Sure, you might choose to look at it that way, but a game where you play as a hacker who gets caught hacking into a megacorp and has an implant that lets him jack into cyberspace is going to look a lot like cyberpunk to everyone else.

That's not at all a definition of Cyberpunk...

The definition of cyberpunk is high-tech low-lifes. It's got cyber, crime, cyberspace/hacker, and a megacorp. That's pretty damn cyberpunk. Probably it's only failing is that it really isn't all that into the low-life/crime angle of it, especially past the opening sequence.

Where is the crime? Where is the low-life? Where is the earth setting?

It's pretty damn sci-fi to me, nothing more nothing less. Maybe it has Cyberpunk elements, but, surely not pure Cyberpunk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    Where is the crime?
    ...Seriously?

Where is the low-life?
    You're playing him.

Where is the earth setting?
    Not relevant. It's not like space stations aren't settings used in classic cyberpunk like Neuromancer.

It's pretty damn sci-fi to me...
    Cyberpunk is a subset of scifi.

Maybe it has Cyberpunk elements, but, surely not pure Cyberpunk to me.
    Meh? Genre isn't a purity test. It doesn't focus on the "low-life" aspect as much as traditional cyberpunk fiction, but it takes the vast majority of its inspiration from cyberpunk, to the degree that it's hard to point to any elements in it that aren't also present in classic cyberpunk literature. Rogue AI? Cyberspace? Cyberware? Hi-tech weapons? Tech that seems like magic? Yes, space stations? Mutants? Problematic megacorps? What else?

Well... I'd be OK with saying that SS has Cyberpunk elements. It's just not a pure Cyberpunk franchise for me. Rather classic sci-fi horror. Deus Ex is as pure Cyberpunk as it gets for me. Same with Blade Runner.

Where is the crime? A megacorp executive conducting illegal bioengineering experiments and hiring a hacker to cover his tracks by hacking an AI is not just crime, it's as close to cyberpunk crime as it gets.

Where is the crime? Where is the low-life? Where is the earth setting?
    That's why we were saying that SS2 isn't really that much cyberpunk compared to SS1.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well... I'd be OK with saying that SS has Cyberpunk elements. It's just not a pure Cyberpunk franchise for me. Rather classic sci-fi horror. Deus Ex is as pure Cyberpunk as it gets for me. Same with Blade Runner.
    Maybe look past the strictures of genre elements as a requirement? The thing about cyberpunk and proto-cyberpunk is that it's generally a comment on society through technological stratification. You can't have the 'low-life' without having the other well-off classes, and so the chopshop back alley body mods and struggle to live while existential problems spin out from the corporations and their use of tech that, generally, the average Joe living in squalor has to fight back somehow. SS1's primary theme is dealing with a literal existential threat from an AI because an executive had the bright idea of unshackling it, and you do that with the squishy low-level (yet high-tech) tools you have. It's both inspired by and themed after cyberpunk, and while its story doesn't make much of a point in the end, its ideology clearly exists in the same genre framework.

I started playing Prey again, this time judging it less and enjoying it more.

I'm still disappointed about SS3. I wasn't expecting or even hoping for a AAA game. Rather than go for a horror theme with pseudo-realistic graphics, I would have been happy with something closer to SS1 with stylized low poly graphics ala Void Bastards. But it seems like there's little room in the market for games that fall in between indie and blockbuster.

Zombified
    I'm strangely ok with this - they clearly were starting to steer the game in a wrong direction, and I don't mind waiting for a more responsible team picking it up. which is simply going to happen at some point, and hey, it's not like I have anything better to do for the next 20 years (or whatever I've got left).

It has been so sad watching Otherside greatly miss the mark. They captured my imagination when they first appeared with the Underworld Ascendant pitch and I helped Kickstart it, but afterwards the updates did nothing to set me at ease. They just seemed to lack the focus I would expect from professionals of their caliber. As time went on they seemed more and more out of touch, out of their element. I'm truly disappointed it turned out badly, but in a way I'm glad SS3 won't happen now. What little they shared of it seemed to be repeating the same mistakes.

ZylonBane
    I very much doubt SS3 would have been as bad as UA. I mean good lord... you'd have to actively make an effort to be that bad.

Oh hey, PC Gamer published a new article on it just a few days ago!
    https://www.pcgamer.com/after-over-a...t-fun-to-play/

There's a lot of room to be better than UA and still disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I started playing Prey again, this time judging it less and enjoying it more.
    For me, Prey is as much SS as it gets.

Is it definite that SS3 won't be happening now? If so, then that's really a shame...

Without a publisher, there's no money --> without money, there's no team --> without a team, there's no game (cf Underworld Ascendant). So unless they can find a publisher, it's mothballs for SS3 for the foreseeable future.

Ok, thanks.

Quite a shame that such games just don't get the attention they deserve. My "dream team" would have been Arkane Studios supervised be the people who originally made System Shock (hell, maybe even get Ken Levine to join forces ). Just a dream. I know nothing of that is remotely going to happen.

ZylonBane
    After having played Soma, I'd give Frictional all the monies to develop a System Shock sequel.

I couldn't agree more. Frictional would be an absolutely perfect fit for System Shock...They would capture the atmosphere.

I sent a message to Otherside on Facebook. Apparently they are still around but busy / distracted with the whole covid19 issue. Doesn't explain the silence since October but it's something.

Wonder if they considered crowd funding.

This is not a game you can make for a couple of million.

Not sure what you mean, to be honest. The issue here is obviously that the publisher jumped off, so development is stalled because nobody is getting paid.

Do you mean that it would take more than a couple of millions?

Much more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast