TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 215 of 216 FirstFirst ... 115165170175180185190195200205210211212213214215216 LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 5389

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Just watched Season 2 of the Mandalorian. The recurring characters and plotlines from season 1 were great, the cameos from other, shittier Star Wars properties in every single episode were stupid as hell. I dunno how you take something that managed to go a full season without milking the original films/prequels/cartoons/etc outside of "how this universe works" kind of stuff and a few cringy things that are just continued misapplications of the source material and make no sense (i.e. carbonite being a normal bounty hunter thing and not a freezing-gas-process-they-tested-on-han-and-didn't-know-if-it-would-work thing and Tattooine being a backwater shithole in the middle of nowhere but somehow in every goddamn SW story ever) and turn it into "which character can we squeeze into this episode because we can't have the universe feeling too large and we wouldn't want to accidentally make something that isn't fucking garbage and holy shit we made something good how can we spin this into 4 other things" type of thing. So now we're back to the good SW stuff being the first two movies, the Last Jedi, Jedi Knight 2, and KotOR 2. And season 1 of the Mandalorian. GG Disney.
    The start of this Half in the Bag episode about Rogue One pretty much sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=44&v=Kc2kFk5M9x4

BANNED
    The Expanse.

How are they going to cram in an ending to this in one final 10 episode season?!

It's been great.

I just finished watching the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix. It's not really my go-to type of show but I'm running out of Netflix shows to watch. I was pretty surprised at how good it was. I remember my sister watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch and how dumb I though the show was but the reboot, if you can call it that, is pretty good.

I watched a few more episodes of Star Trek Discovery 3rd season, to the point where they get rid of Philippa Georgiou. But not before they've indulged in another crowd pleasing episode of ridiculously evil universe.
    Because there's nothing better to make every viewer feel good about themselves than to dress a couple of known actors in Sgt. Pepper uniforms, exchanging Nazi salutes and stupidly trying to kill each other over.

This evil universe always was a lame satire, lacking any fascination of evil, much less an explanation of how a society could even work like that. It's just utterly inefficient. That's of course because it only serves as a foil to the goodness of the other universe. You're not supposed to recognize yourself in it, there's nothing seducing about it, it's just stupid.

And yet. Given the constant cringe this series has devolved to, it is the best this season and STD as a whole has to offer at this point. A bunch of false bad guys redressed for an Aesop you can see coming from 10 miles away, are still more entertaining than the same actors falling over themselves to cry harder in sympathy for each other. God damn, even Brooklyn 99 has more grit than this shit. And that's not their achievement.

BANNED
    Yeah, apart from the great looking future tech and it not being the same old it's got pretty silly.

I kind of hate Michael now. Why is she always WHISPERING?
    Last edited by SubJeff; 11th Feb 2021 at 05:37.

TBH, I started watching Discovery again earlier this year (or maybe December) and I'm not that impressed (I thought I had seen the first episode last time, turned out I hadn't even bothered to finish the first act...)

It's not I think it's bad, it's just, not really good. I'm about 5 eps into S2 and I haven't put the next one in like two weeks. I have the feeling I'd put it if there was nothing else to watch.

I dunno, I find it extremely unoriginal overall, it's watchable but utterly forgettable too. Kinda had the same with Picard, I watched the first couple of episodes, then just... stopped.

I suppose that, with stuff like The Expanse pushing the boundaries, the Trek verse feels pretty trite nowadays.

BANNED
    Man of Steel. Again.

This is, imho, the best DC film and one of the best superhero films there is. It's so much more mature than the Marvel lols. I really like it and think it's very well cast.

I don't get the hate it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post

This evil universe always was a lame satire, lacking any fascination of evil, much less an explanation of how a society could even work like that. It's just utterly inefficient.
    Yeah, totally agree. But at least in ST:TOS before going back to their own universe, Kirk had a conversation with goatee Spock, and evil Spock acknowledged that Mirror Mirror universe was doomed to fail.

Blood Quantum.

As zombie flicks go it's good. And by good I mean completely fucked up. Gore galore. An awful degradation of body and spirit. There is always a sense of impending doom to the better ones. I just wish they hadn't jumped ahead in time at a certain point. The best time is the initial outbreak and adjustment period. This one skips a good deal of that. It's also bleak. Not a lot of redemption and hope here. Just an unrelenting fight. Unlike Train to Busan which had an uplifting morality in the midst of carnage this one is more of an asshole screws up everything sort. It's not bad but I think you have to be a fan of horror to appreciate it. Renz would like it.

Where is Renz anyway? Is he okay?

I'm watching Ginny & Georgia (Netflix) which is like Gilmore Girls turned to a trashy eleven. It's highly entertaining.
    It's about this southern belle Georgia who has a dark past and two kids from different fathers (one is her teenage daughter Ginny) and they're moving to that picturesque small town.

Georgia is an ingenious charmer who always seems to get her way, while her daughter Ginny is an introverted virgin who never had any friends.
    I've only watched 2 episodes so far but I'm pretty confident this series will never descend into protracted drama, but keep it's flippant lightness and high entertainment level.

Dark Waters. An ok movie about a subject that needs a whole lot more attention.

SubjEff is no more, but he was right about The Expanse.

It has to be the best scifi TV I've watched since ... I'm not even sure. I haven't seen some recent highly rated shows and the first one that comes to mind is Battlestar Galactica, and even that didn't sustain its high all the way through. Anyway, there's a lot going for The Expanse. It's character driven, and, no exaggeration, every major character is (improbably) super charismatic and so very well cast. The writers of the set of novels are also apparently controlling the show's writing. And the wrote it to be quite realistic ... gravity, low-G, and zero-G environments work like you'd expect, and they don't really slip. Cross-galactic messages have the expected time delay so, e.g., people will call if they're passing by just to chat without the delay.

The politics is surprisingly credible for a couple of centuries and colonized solar system bodies later, and people's identities works differently. (Like if your Martian colony was largely Texan, Indian, and Chinese, to take one example, mix that up and 200 years later that's your ethnicity now, and Belters seem to be some kind of Dutch Carribean. Our main Belter character switches her accent to their pidgin if she's talking to other Belters but back to Queen's English to the Earthers.)

And the story is a pretty good thriller. It started off pretty modest, but it keeps bumping up the stakes and each stage of it manages to top the last. I'm just 3 seasons in and it's already mindbending, and it's still going up from there.

Well it's a great show. I recommend it too.

First three seasons are superb. Fourth one is interesting too - but the latest one ... a bit of vague setup that was already setup in seasons 3/4 and did not really need repeating ... a big event that really does not change anything in the big picture ... continuation of political shifts already in motion in previous season and that also do nothing ... and that is all. Very disappointing. I guess the 5th season is fully dedicated to the main characters with plenty of soap and nothing else (cannot credit setups and mild setups till they actually pay off).

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Dark Waters. An ok movie about a subject that needs a whole lot more attention.
    I assume this isn't the Italian horror about a convent of nuns on an island that keep the devil contained. Creepy movie worth watching but with a choppy plot.

Anyway, I just watched Stephanie, another horror much better than Blood Quantum. It's about a little girl all alone in a home making do for herself. It's funny and sad and cute as hell at first. Then you begin to learn why she is there alone. Then she isn't alone. Then it isn't so cute. It unfolds slowly which is exactly the way it should.

Haha apparently there is:

Dark Waters (1944) - US Gothic noir
    Dark Waters (1956) - a social issue drama about fishermen
    Dark Waters (1994) - the Italian horror movie you speak of
    Dark Water (2001) - psychological drama
    Dark Water (2002) - an excellent Japanese horror movie from the director of Ringu
    Dark Waters (2003) - shark horror
    Dark Water (2005) - an average American remake of the 2002 film
    Dark Water (2007) - thai horror
    Dark Waters (aka Rogue) (2007) - crocodile horror
    Dark Waters (2016) - an episode of Once Upon a Time s6
    Dark Water (2017) - Russian horror
    Dark Waters (2018) - crime documentary miniseries
    Dark Water (2019) - horror short
    Dark Waters (2019) - the one I was just talking about, about the Dupont C8/Teflon debacle.

And a whole lot more.
    ...they really should have picked a different title.
    Last edited by froghawk; 11th Mar 2021 at 12:08.

That's a lot, though not nearly as bad as for Love -- even narrowing it down to movie titles and exact matches still gets you 60 entries: https://www.imdb.com/find?q=love&s=t...&ref_=fn_tt_ex

The Lodge is a seriously messed up psychological horror along the lines of Goodnight Mommy. It's slow build and you don't know what is truly going on until the end when everything snaps into place. The strange keeps growing and the dread keeps gaining and you know something terrible is going to happen. The problem with horror is that you have to watch five formulaic movies to find one like this. If only there were a way to know from the previews but the previews are cookie cutter dramatic and the ones which fit the good ones are no different than the ones that fit the bad ones. At least I know to avoid the slashers which are all interchangeable drivel. Except for Tucker and Dale vs Evil which is a perfect play on tropes and the funniest shit I've seen.

Boss Level. It is bad muthafucking ass. Okay. Picture the most ass kicking movie ever jammed into the shortest time possible which happens to be the length of this movie. Throw in video game rules but in a quantum time loop where all the internal logic works. Like how all the logic works in The Terminator. And then... and THEEEEEEEEN make it a goddamn love story near the end. Okay sort of also like Terminator BUT it works. This movie had to be made. I'm surprised it took so long.

A bit of background fissure burping. Strangely helps me focus on my foreground tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46nVKTdpBc (currently live - check the channel for new feed if this one has been stoped)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akWlYHj0ymk (previous feed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3BD8vqYTho (some reporter or something there - good to get the scale of the mini volcano)

edit: some sequential timelapses (aka. previously on Fagrdhfsomething)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGI17MgvnXI (the little buzzers are hilarious)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGXWMiAW4U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2fLiikNm9M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWrhPDzhSwU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJKIQj1pbc
    Last edited by zombe; 21st Mar 2021 at 16:02.

Yes, no, I don't know. Can you repeat the question?

I'm (re)watching Malcom in the Middle. (It's free on Amazon Prime.)
    Last night I saw Scully from Brooklyn 99 in an episode. He played a cop who detained Malcom and Reese at the Nascar race. Took me half an hour to remember who that fat neck belonged to.

I finished the first season of The One on Netflix and it was interesting... but also kind of terrible? Great premise about inventing a DNA matching system to find your "perfect" match you're guaranteed to instantly fall in love with. But there's not enough "what are the social implications of this?" and too much "murder and blackmail!" The framing is also really weird since it pretty much tells you exactly what happened in first episode and then slowly drip feeds more details but... you already know what happened? There aren't any twists (well there is one, but a pretty predictable one) so why is it treating it like a slow unraveling murder mystery when there is no mystery? Just too many unnecessary flashbacks revealing stuff you already knew. I think the creators thought the story was a lot smarter than it actually is.

I now started on Behind Her Eyes and really digging it. Romance drama meets psychological thriller. It's not as deep as it likes to think at times, but the acting is fantastic, creating both charismatic progratonists you root for and psychotic people you want to know more about.

Finished series 3 of American Gods; First series was nifty, interesting and had Ian McShane. Second series slowed a bit, got kind of weird, but had Ian McShane. Series three has been kind of dull, occasionally interesting and oddly enough Ian McShane. Not sure if the producers are running out of steam or if it is just accurately following the book.

WandaVision was pretty bad for the first few episodes, then got interesting as the penny dropped, but didn't really feel like it was building until the facade drops toward the end of the series. Very risky taking what must have been either a movie or mini-series idea and stretching it out like that. The initial premise could have been wrapped up and explored more traditionally after the first episode. I don't think I would call it great stuff, but if you haven't fully burned out of MCU and/or need something to watch, its there I guess.

Latest series of Line of Duty started, might wait until the run is finished, its been one of the most binge-able tv shows I've seen.

I've watched the first couple of episodes of The Terror, about the ill-fated 18XXs expedition to find the NW Passage that left two ships stranded in the ice for several years. It's got supernatural elements; so that's the first line one has to cross with the show. But if you're on board with it from there, it pays off pretty well. It reminds me a little of Picnic at Hanging Rock, another interesting show I've watched this year, that mixes supernatural elements into a real life mystery where people just disappear and no one is left to tell the true story.

It's an interesting slice of life, mid-19th Century British admiralty at the height of the era of exploration, with the pushes and pulls of ego, ambition, despair, and occasionally something of the crew's growing restlessness. I don't know if it all gels together, but the whole bleak setting, personal conflicts, and natural drama make me keep watching it, so it must be doing something right.

One more time: Picnic at Hanging Rock is not based on a real life story.

The Terror sounds up my alley.

The Terror is worth it already for the impeccable casting and acting. So damn good.

Page 215 of 216 FirstFirst ... 115165170175180185190195200205210211212213214215216 LastLast