TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Updated FM: Mission X v1.14 (NewDark update) Released!

Updated FM: Mission X v1.14 (NewDark update) Released!

10 years ago the second CoSaS 2: Mission X was released.

Over time it has become harder and harder to get Mission X to work on modern computers. It became clear that the problem was that many of the custom scripts were written especially for this mission, so they didn't get updated like the more general purpose ones used by many other FMs.

Those scripts have now been rewritten using a scripting system that comes with NewDark, so they should work reliably for the foreseeable future. In addition to the scripting update, I also tweaked some textures and objects, and I moved a writing set/copy kit which made perfect ghosting impossible.

Near the entrance you will see a small tribute to MsLedd.

This update could not have been done without help from Telliamed and Moral Monkey, plus Anarchic Fox and Digital Nightfall (in case his employers are reading this, he didn't do any editing, just provided PDFs of old documentation!).

The mysterious "Le Corbeau" deserves many thanks too. Not only for NewDark, which is awesome, but for making it much easier to write custom scripts, which made this patch possible.

The update has been tested by GUFF and Baal.

Requirements:
    • You must be using Thief 2 version 1.26. It may load with 1.25, and should work just as well, but that hasn't been verified.
    • The file 'squirrel.osm' must be in your Thief2 folder.

Be aware that old save games are not compatible with this update.

Download links:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bxw9u9..._v114.zip/file
    Mirror 1:
    http://fms.derfy.net/CoSaS2_MissionX_v114.zip (thanks to derfy)
    Mirror2:
    http://download.darkfate.org/fan-mis...sionX_v114.zip (thanks to Glypher)
    (330MB)

Below is an alternative version in which the movies are in Divx format. Those movies were obtained from the thiefmissions page. Thanks to NewDark, these movies do now play in game.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dx6f76..._divx.zip/file
    Mirror 1:
    http://download.darkfate.org/fan-mis..._v114_divx.zip (thanks to Glypher)
    (220MB)
    You will notice that the total file size is quite a bit lower, but all other files are identical.

For further reading, the thread announcing the previous update is here:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123244

And here is the original release thread (with pictures):
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122490

R Soul
    Last edited by R Soul; 6th Oct 2018 at 19:46.

Thanks

Cool.
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Thanks for doing this, Robin. Do movies in some other format than DivX play in game in the regular version? If so, which version provides higher quality on a fairly powerful system?

I don't know a lot about movie formats, but NewDark comes with ffmpeg.dll, which I think gives it support for a wide variety of formats (but the .avi extension is needed). I'm not sure what you mean by the 'regular version', bit I can't see any difference in quality between the two types of video. It may be that the reduced file size is the main benefit.

grats on release

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Thank you for this tremendous effort and for taking care of this classic old milestone FM, and insuring it can be played by future taffers, Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I don't know a lot about movie formats, but NewDark comes with ffmpeg.dll, which I think gives it support for a wide variety of formats (but the .avi extension is needed). I'm not sure what you mean by the 'regular version', bit I can't see any difference in quality between the two types of video. It may be that the reduced file size is the main benefit.
    Thanks, I thought maybe we needed to use the alternative version in order to have the in-game movies, or if both versions did have them which one looked better. Went with the regular/non-alternative version and all is working fine so far, plus it's good excuse to replay this wonderful classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Thank you for this tremendous effort and for taking care of this classic old milestone FM, and insuring it can be played by future taffers, Robin.
    +1

Thanks so much for your time, effort, and hard work to bring this to the Thief community. I appreciate you.

Amazing work - and thank you for keeping this "oldie but a goodie" alive

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    It may not have been necessary after NewDark 1.26 since it seemed to have fixed the mask issues with the original version but maybe the edits done will make it more compatible with NewDark and less prone to break in the future. I personally ran 4 runs (both routes on Expert and then Impossible difficulties) and ran into no major issues other than the knockout drops bottle issue bug that got fixed and was probably extant in the original anyway.

The mission has aged pretty well. I guess it's a bit jarring as it always was in the original in terms of suspension of disbelief on impossible difficulty though, since it's all just engine/game-mechanic knowledge to avoid detection even as you're in plain sight out in full light and just avoiding being in the range of the AI's vision cone. On the other difficulties you have access to ability to turn off lots of the lights.

I haven't played this in so long I was happy to see this update. I played it three times this week just to try all the objectives etc
    All the voice acting was good but loved the sound of Msledd voice. Nice tribute one of the best missions ever.

Great work thank you R Soul