TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Boomer Shooter" old school-style, arcade FPS discussion thread

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Really just 1945 to '54. People born from 1954~'64 are already in the Jones Generation, a kind of inter-generational middle grounds like the Oregon Trail mini-generation, 1979~1984.
    Come on, dema. We have enough generations to keep track of without you inventing new ones. >:|

Shut up henke, proud member of the Oregon Trail mini generation, which I only found out about today I feel special

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I guess I'd be in it too, except I never played Oregon Trail. Pretty sure that was an American thing. "Jones generation" sounds very American too. The more commonly known generations (Greatest, Silent, Boomer, Gen X, Millenial, Gen Z) have more international appeal.

It's not Oregon Trail per se; they could have picked any game or program from that era. It's growing up with 8-bit computers, not really knowing a world before PCs were around, and internet arriving while you were still in high school, so you're straddling GenX and Millennial experience. Jones the term is American ("keeping up with the Joneses" and Jonesing for the simple life & the American Dream), but it's people that never knew a world before TVs and came of age with Disco, which really uniquely tags them because nothing was really like '70s culture & the people into it before or after. Each big category always has a group that straddles two of them whatever you call it.

I guess we've already gone terminally OT, but boomer shooters a la the original Doom and the half decade of shooters that came after it, before the big 3D revolution in like 1998, is pretty formative to that little mini-generation between X & Millennials and GenX people close to it. Actually you (henke) are pretty representative of one of the most unique trends in that little straddle in my mind, which is that little scene when Flash was the big online thing for the kids, Newgrounds, etc... Internet had just gotten good enough you could stream games & videos online, but still before YouTube and FB and proper online gaming, Internet 2.0, & all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Oregon Trail mini-generation, 1979~1984.
    I was born in 77 and people significantly older than I am grew up with Oregon Trail too.

Right, but aside from the poor name for it*, would you agree that 1979~1984 (or 1980~?) would be the right period for whatever you want to call it? It seems right to me, at least 1980 seems like a definite line knowing people on both sides of it, and then somewhere in the 1984 range.

I was born in '76 and I'm definitely way on the Gen X side, and my friends up to '79 seem like they are too.

* It's not my name.

Wolfenstein - Blade of Agony

V3.0 released, standalone and completely free, very good old-school red-blue-green-keys boomer shooter.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Shadow Warrior 3 gameplay.

The authors of Blade of Agony IMO have no idea what made the first two chapters good. Chapter 3 is an infernal slog and I'm not sure I'm interested in completing it.
    The zombies suck (my god this bonus mission), but not as much as epic CoD-style turret-mounted base defense segments against waves of enemies and tanks. Clearly there's nothing more Wolfenstein than this.

Yeah, if anything, that sounds more like Operation Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    The authors of Blade of Agony IMO have no idea what made the first two chapters good. Chapter 3 is an infernal slog and I'm not sure I'm interested in completing it.
    The zombies suck (my god this bonus mission), but not as much as epic CoD-style turret-mounted base defense segments against waves of enemies and tanks. Clearly there's nothing more Wolfenstein than this.
    Blade of Agony isn't supposed to be Wolfenstein, it's a pastiche of the entire Wolfenstein series in the style of the original game. There are stealth levels ffs.

For chapter 3 I've only played c3m1 and c3m0, I thought Regenschirm was quite fun. They need more optimizing however.

If it was in the style of the original game (or its sequel), it would be top down. The series has changed genres about as often as it has had reboots. Hell, there was even an RPG in the style of Doom RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    Blade of Agony isn't supposed to be Wolfenstein, it's a pastiche of the entire Wolfenstein series in the style of the original game. There are stealth levels ffs.
    I can agree to that but while I found the stealth levels to be a fun addition in the previous chapters (and here too), taking the worst parts of a generic call of duty game and forcing them into the Doom 2 engine didn't sit right with me this time. Anyway I finished it yesterday, I liked a couple levels (typically, tight corridor sections with complex layout, and stealth levels) and truly hated the rest, although I commend the amount of work that went into it. I remember enjoying the previous chapters a lot more, here 70% of my time was spent wondering where I was getting shot from and whether I should continue savescumming or give up.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    Wolfenstein - Blade of Agony

V3.0 released, standalone and completely free, very good old-school red-blue-green-keys boomer shooter.
    Apparently the mod author was just ex-communicated from the Doom modding community (eg banned from the Doomworld forum) because the 3rd episode has Holocaust victim zombies, transphobic jokes, etc.
    See NotJabba's post: https://archive.ph/V6Mrv
    LOL, what a clown. Dude should've read the room before going total edgelord.

Dude's response to NotJabba's summary in the first link + community responses to his responses.
    https://archive.ph/mt4w1
    https://archive.ph/ozoyp
    https://archive.ph/4tRJY
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 9th Jun 2021 at 04:20.

Taking the Death Toll
    Tormentor667 has a history of being a diva and a shithead, announcing his departure from the Doom community and then never leaving, but when even Sgt. Mark IV of all people (himself a notorious edgelord and asset thief) successfully dunks on you it's time to hang it up and go back to actuary school.

Also, Torm took down Realm667, which was a major modder's resource.

Taking the Death Toll
    Oof, and now apparently people upset about the response to BoA are invading Wolf3D-related Discord servers and spamming gore pics.

Just went through one of the recent community releases for Prodeus, "Maximum Menace" by Vladimir Eskandari who works at Ubi Montreal. Awesome little map.

Also really looking forward to Amid Evil VR, hopefully it's not Oculus exclusive.

Fallen Aces and Hellslinger should be mentioned in this thread too.
    Last edited by Briareos H; 21st Jun 2021 at 12:24.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Bright Memory: Infinite
    Developer Twitter
    (PC owners of original Bright Memory get Infinite for free. I have no idea when this offer expires, but I'd imagine as long as you get OG game before Infinite releases then you'll be good.)
    Due 2021 some time.

Sequel to Bright Memory, Bright Memory: Infinite is an upcoming Devil May Cry-esque indie FPS, made by a small Chinese developer. It's looks better than most of the bullshit being made by AAA publishers, IMO.

I saw the trailer for Dread Templar a few days ago.

Developer Twitter

This one has something of a Quake 1, with lots of verticality in the levels and secrets.

I'm not a fan of the excessively-retro look that a lot of boomer shooters go with, but this one looks more like they chose a consistent Quake 1 level of fidelity to limit work/costs, without pushing the retro look too hard making it look intentionally worse for the sake of nostalgia.

The enemy variety seems disappointingly low - hopefully that's something that will be improved before release.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Bright Memory: Infinite
    Developer Twitter
    (PC owners of original Bright Memory get Infinite for free. I have no idea when this offer expires, but I'd imagine as long as you get OG game before Infinite releases then you'll be good.)
    Due 2021 some time.

Sequel to Bright Memory, Bright Memory: Infinite is an upcoming Devil May Cry-esque indie FPS, made by a small Chinese developer. It's looks better than most of the bullshit being made by AAA publishers, IMO.

I've got Bright Memory; overall I was pretty impressed considering it was apparently made by just one guy. It's pretty short though and from what I remember essentially just boils down to "get locked in an arena, clear it of enemies, move on to the next arena". I'm not sure how Infinite might compare to it though - those trailers imply that the flow of combat could be a little more open now.

The "Boomer Shooter" nomenclature is a bit silly but, goddam, have I been enjoying this renaissance. DUSK, Amid Evil, Ultrakill and Ion Fury are all excellent games that remember what was great about shooters 'back in the day' but more importantly take note of the stuff that works about shooters and games in general today so they're less just lazy nostalgia baiting and more like "what if shooters continued to evolve along those lines a bit"? Personally, I'm most excited about the expansions for Amid Evil and Ion Fury and new stuff like Graven. I did not know about Shadow Warrior 3 and I'm glad to see it's ditching the changes that 2 made to the formula. Shadow Warrior 2 wasn't a bad game but it wasn't what I wanted from a sequel to that surprisingly good reboot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12