TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: what makes this game so special to you ?

what makes this game so special to you ?

after almost 20 years of me playing thief ... GODDAMN !!! 20 YEARS !!!!!!!!!!

I still love and play this game ...

and although i ofter play games wist nostalgic value, there is no game i play with such PASSION and POSESSION like Thief !

I really wonder what is it that makes this game so special ... what the heck is it ??????

i even met people in real life who made tattoed glyphs and thiefsymbols and pictures on theyr arms .

There are so many fanatics who really live this game !!!

i wonder what it is that makes this game so fascinating to you ...

for me its the realistic athmosphear this game can create--- what are your reasons ?

I was really tired of shooters when I tried the TDP demo for the first time back in 1998. Its gameplay was so fresh, the concept behind it so new and the universe so fascinating I was literlly bewitched by it.

The following year, when Ive put my hands on the complete game, it happened during a very difficult period of my life so I used it as a lifeboat of sorts, into another world, for almost a year. Plus, it really was a masterpiece so it sticked with me all this time for more reasons than just mere nostalgia...

But yes: no matter what new place of the planet I'm in, I have always Thief on hard disk with me and playing it it's like going home again.

I think it was just the notion of hiding away that appealed to me.

I similarly loved playing as a mechromancer in Borderlands 2, or a conjurer in Skyrim so I could send in powerful familiars to defeat the enemies while I hang around on the outskirts.

OK you don't do that in Thief but it comes from the same place of non-confrontation.

And it is such a brilliantly well-realised world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen+Keeper View Post

But yes: no matter what new place of the planet I'm in, I have always Thief on hard disk with me and playing it it's like going home again.

so true man !!!!!!!!!!

AKA H3H3
    Indeed, my friend. Thief is a particularly special series of games that I can always come back to. The combination of its simple but immersive gameplay and dark, brooding atmosphere make it a special experience that I will always love. Actually, I've been looking for a cheap lockpicking kit, just like the ones Garrett had in Thief 1, 2 and Deadly Shadows which (did you know) were all pubblished by Eidos Interactive.

Tapatalk G3-338 مرسل من الايفون الخاص بي

Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    Indeed, my friend. Thief is a particularly special series of games that I can always come back to. The combination of its simple but immersive gameplay and dark, brooding atmosphere make it a special experience that I will always love. Actually, I've been looking for a cheap lockpicking kit, just like the ones Garrett had in Thief 1, 2 and Deadly Shadows which (did you know) were all pubblished by Eidos Interactive.

Tapatalk G3-338 مرسل من الايفون الخاص بي
    TIS TRUE TIS TRUE ! ---- (thief "undercover" - mission reference )

i got a lockpick set too ... it turned out its rediculously easy to open a lock ... much much easyer than in thief game ...

and nowadays you have machines that makes it even easyer

whats the tapatalk for `?

being able to take my time in missions, is the key for me

AKA H3H3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuilderReturned View Post
    TIS TRUE TIS TRUE ! ---- (thief "undercover" - mission reference )

i got a lockpick set too ... it turned out its rediculously easy to open a lock ... much much easyer than in thief game ...

and nowadays you have machines that makes it even easyer

whats the tapatalk for `?
    hi

Yes, it is easy to open a lock. It's even easier than clicking the right mouse button (who gets this reference from thief "assassins")

but what machines are you talking about شقيق?

Being able to venture into mansions and haunted places, and that the game's mostly unscripted. I like how politics are played in the Thief world.

I think this was one of the first games I played where you were not forced to go a particular path. You just roamed a city, building, castle, etc, exploring.. Then came Fan Missions. I think the Fan Missions are probably the #1 reason I still play Thief I & II. Now that the fan missions have slowed down, I actually started going back through all of them and replaying them. It's taking more years than I thought since I don't have the free time I used to have

Oh, and a few months back, I got Rick Rolled by one of these fan missions (don't remember which one). The Success video was replaced in my game directory so every future mission I played I got Rick Astley upon completion. Had to pull my game disc out to get the original success video back. So, thanks to the author for the decade old laugh
    Last edited by RJS66; 4th Feb 2019 at 09:31.

As a horror fan, I loved RTTHC. It is easy to forget now because I have played it so many times, but it was the scariest game mission I could rememmber playing.

Surpassed only by that mission in T3 a couple of years later.

Even T2014's Asylum is pretty creepy. Doesn't match the impact of the other two but still rates high IMO.

Cradle takes the horror to another level, we ALL know that!

The music, the voice acting, all things which have to do with sounds in thief.
    I played the ger-version ... so i dont know exacly how good the acting in the eng-Version is.

I think a very important point is, the most of us played this game as a kid - and of course this made the adventure more intensive.
    I remenber The Mission with the zombies in the mine was very scary for me.

Horn of Quintus was such a nice Mission, all the time you hear the lovly Horn and all around you are walking zombies ready to eat you.
    And then you did it, you stand in front of the horn ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27wbsUojlo

I love the game.