TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How to make sound-pervious walls?

How to make sound-pervious walls?

I'm wondering how one can make walls that let some degree of sound pass through in DromEd.

I wouldn't want 100% of the sound to pass through, otherwise I'd just make a big room brush. Rather, I was thinking about some of the door properties, allowing sound to be blocked from 0 to 100%. How could I achieve this with walls? For example, imagine a wood cabin, from within which the player can more or less hear the *muffled* sounds of guards patrolling on the outside. Having the sound filter through a door isn't enough. I'd like to have the sound perceivable (although dampened) through the walls. Any advice?

You can use fake, inoperable doors to block sound and pathfinding, but using them to make an entire building is probably asking for trouble.

I think you'd need to use a more modern engine for that kind of granular control over sound.

Master Builder 2018
    I would go with what NV said, but you really only need to add a section of each wall, like a door or window that doesn't open. And maybe not even every wall, depending on where your sounds come from. You can use a reskinnable door and give it a texture to match your walls, though it would be noticeable since objects don't light the same as terrain. Better to give it a different texture that seems intentional, such as a window, shutters, or an architectural feature like a frieze or decorative panel of some kind. Set "Blocks sound" to around 60% and you'll probably need to set "Leans blocks sound" higher, like 80 to 90%.

And if you do do that, make sure it blocks vision and pathfinding as well.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I first thought of using doors in this way, but I was wondering if such an effect could be possible simply with room brush settings I might be unfamiliar with. But I guess that's not possible. Thanks anyway
    Last edited by Sperry; 8th Mar 2020 at 18:42.

ZylonBane
    I haven't tested this to see if it actually works, but theoretically you could just stick a marker in the middle of a wall you want to be hear-through, add the requisite door property, and link room brushes to each side of it connecting to the interior and exterior room brushes.

Reminder that "doors" don't actually have to be doors. Adding the door property to windows works great to let them pass muffled sound normally, and full sound when broken.

I thought there was a sound attenuation parameter that could be added to room brushes... can't look for it until I get home. Then again it might just be wishful thinking.

Master Builder 2018
    If the sounds outside the room are knowable and constant, you could make a custom sound file and schema with those sounds and add it to the room brush inside the room, but at a lowered volume.

You can make a custom Room brush for the room behind the wall and add the property Room -> Loud Room, and set the value to something between 0 and 1. Remember to process room brushes again.

If the player is going to have access to the room you can put the custom room in between the two rooms on either side of the wall and add the Room -> Loud Room property to it instead.

No objects are needed. I tested the second option with the room brush inside an air brush as well as inside a solid brush.

Master Builder 2018
    I experimented with Loud Room, couldn't get it to work. Will have to try again, John.

ZylonBane
    I thought the purpose of Loud Room was to attenuate AI perception of player sounds. Y'know, like what would happen in a loud room.

I'm not sure what it's intended purpose is but if I make a concrete test room and add the Loud Room parameter & use a value such as .60 it seems to provide a decent attenuation. It's still loud enough that I can hear noises in the next room brush clearly. .40 was audible but not loud enough, and I tested this while using headphones.