TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Sporadically missing sounds in some areas

Sporadically missing sounds in some areas

I'm encountering a strange bug. Whenever I jump into game mode, most sounds don't load for 10-20 seconds - both the sounds and their effects (i.e. I can go into game mode, jump on tile next to an AI and they won't react - wait 20 seconds or so and jump again, and they'll hear me).

I had put it down to the editor struggling with a large mission, but in one area of my mission, it happens when playing through Thief 2, and it remains bad for the duration - the game constantly seems to be "dropping" sounds. I can walk along a path and hear no footsteps, then walk back again, and some footsteps might appear. A guard patrolling in the area is silent except for every 10th footstep or so. It seems really sporadic and random.

Anyone encountered this before?

Video to show what I mean:

Could there be too many sounds playing at once in that area, so you've run out of audio channels?

Generate a report and see how many ambient points you have. Look for this line: Have [...] ambient points. The limit is 1024, so if it's over that, it could explain the overall sound issues.

Oo good to know. I could be over that for sure. I'll have a look tonight.

Ambient points is only 409 so I guess it's not that. Could still be too many in a single area I suppose.

Master Builder 2018
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, only three will play in one spot, so if there are more than three ambients there that's likely it.

It's not just ambience that is cutting out though, that's the weird thing. If it was just that, I'd expect a consistent failure from certain ambient points rather than random sounds from all sources being dropped some of the time. I can easily have more than three sounds playing at once (I mean even player footsteps + guard + wind is three sounds, so it's not like there's only three channels).

Shot in the dark but please don't tell me you didnt put your audio channels to the max in the menu options

Probably not but I know someone who had that issue the other day

This happened in one of my past missions but I had to play it for hours before sounds started dropping out. I never did find the cause though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    Shot in the dark but please don't tell me you didnt put your audio channels to the max in the menu options

Probably not but I know someone who had that issue the other day
    Good suggestion! Unfortunately it doesn't make a difference whether I have 12 or 48 audio channels enabled.

DRM

I don't know if this will help nicked but i wanted to record some of my game play so i could show how i could see through some of the trees in game. I had to install a screen recorder (because i use Linux) and found it would record it in a black screen and have sound problems. Anyway, i finally gave up on it because i couldn't make it to be Youtube compatible. (My recorded audio sounds like your recorded audio.) I left the screen recorder installed on my system and started getting requirements from music video providers on Youtube to turn on DRM in my browser to watch the video. I don't know enough about computer software to know for sure but if you recently installed a screen recorder try uninstalling it to see if it goes away. After i uninstall the one i had i no longer got requirement to turn on DRM. I did a timeshift before install to make sure nothing DRM related got left behind. Could this be effecting Dromed ????

Here is a Microsoft article on DRM: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azu...access-control

Edit: I read up some more on it and look like it effects video games as well. It's spooky they know that was on my computer system and then seen it was gone after i uninstalled it because i no longer got the requirement to turn on DRM.
    Last edited by howeird; 15th Mar 2020 at 11:17. Reason: corrected wording & added words

That sounds interesting howeird because I sometimes would see popups about allowing audio streaming when I made a fresh installation of Thief 2. I don't remember if it was generated by Windows or any of the internet security software I had used in the past few years.

I read Windows 10 has screen recorder built into system so hopefully this isn't a long term problem. In Linux print screen doesn't work on Thief because it causes the whole computer to lock up - at least on my system. Screen record was the only way i could think to record a screenshot but it doesn't work either so i can't show the effect.

If you need a snapshot you can use Bandicam, Fraps or Irfanview. I'm not sure if those can be used on Linux, but a really crude way is to take a picture with a cell phone or camera and then transfer it to your pc.