TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast

Thread: T2Fix: An Unofficial Comprehensive Patch for Thief 2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QZw...ew?usp=sharing

those secret doors and a glitchy door (ep2)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    ... that is most certainly nothing more than false positive.
    Thanks. I used two other antivirus programs to scan T2Fix_1.27b.exe, and they both reported nothing wrong. So, I disabled Webroot, did the install, and everything went smoothly. T2Fix_1.27b found that my original installation (1.25) was bad, so I had to do a fresh install. It is worth noting that T2Fix_1.27b takes care of the complete fresh install by itself, using my software CDs. I did not have to worry about patching to 1.18, etc., the previous procedure.

The only problem I had was that after the fresh install the key bindings file user.bnd was back to default. I had a lot of custom keys that I hated to lose. I was lucky that I had my own good key bindings in my Thief Gold folder. Copying that over fixed it.

You have an excellent piece of software there. Thanks for your help!

There is a bug list with saves (launched with old version of Tafferpatcher - https://www.sendspace.com/file/fun4tj):

- Blackmail under ground - only in this place in Blackmail it was possible to be under ground, probably 1 per 50 times the player after jump around stairs will be under ground, nothing to fix
    - vibration - strange vibration, nothing to fix
    - bug with crate - should be fixed
    - bug with wall - should be fixed
    - bug with well - should be fixed
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 17th Feb 2020 at 21:28.

Zombified
    update to the latest version of T2Fix, restart the mission using the restart button in the menu, and see whether the problems are still there.

anything else (old saves, old patchers, mixing files between versions etc) is not supported.

Kidnap mission.
    What am I doing wrong?
    I canīt get past here. The metal door is invisible.

Did you restart the mission after applying T2Fix? A brief test reveals nothing wrong.

In your case, it looks like the model for that particular object was not loaded. With T2Fix 1.27b it is located at .\RES\RESPATCH\obj.crf\lctowdfix.bin if you chose to install the fixed missions.

My bad.
    I had deleted that file form RESPATCH.
    Thank you.

ZylonBane
    Do you often delete random files from mod folders for no reason?

No.

In preparation for the release of the TMA20AC missions at the end of the month, I want to install Thief 2 again. The last time I played the game was in 2011.

After installing the game, I encountered problems with invisible guards and objects in Running Interference. I hope someone can help me with that.

Here is a more detailed description of the problems:
    • Basso is invisible. I hear his footsteps, but he does not start to talk. His footsteps never stop.
    • Many objects like doors, tables or armoires are invisible.
    • My sword and blackjack are invisible when I try to use them.
    • All guards are invisible. They apparently see and try to attack me, but they cannot do damage to me.
    • I found one unmoving guard with all limbs squished into a tiny ball and without textures in the first guard post in the basement.

Here are the steps I did so far:
    1. Made sure Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable was already installed on my system.
    2. Installed DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010).
    3. Copied an archive of my last fresh Thief 2 install from 2011 to C:\Thief2
    4. Clicked on Thief2.exe.
    5. Nothing happens. The game does not start.
    6. Ran T2Fix_1.27b.exe and installed only NewDark 1.27, no other mods.
    7. Clicked on Thief2.exe.
    8. The game does start.
    9. In Running Interference, I encounter problems with invisible guards and objects.

There might be some corrupted files in my archive. Unfortunately, I cannot install from disc anymore.

Zombified
    make sure you are not forcing anything from your gpu control panel. maybe try to grab the T2 demo from moddb, and see whether it has the same problem?

but yeah, missing resources seem likely, I'd try to reinstall from a proper source (steam, GOG) and T2Fix that.

I downloaded the Thief II Demo v1.13 from Mod DB. It seems to work fine in compatibility mode. I played the first part of the mission without problems. So I think there are likely one or more corrupt files in my archive of the full game.

Unfortunately, neither GOG nor Steam seem to offer the German version of the game. I very much prefer the voice acting in the German version. I don't want to use the English version of the game.

Before I bite the bullet and buy the English version: Am I missing files in my C:\Thief2\RES folder? I have the following:
    • bitmap.crf
    • books.crf
    • editor.crf
    • fam.crf
    • interface.crf
    • mesh.crf
    • obj.crf
    • pal.crf
    • snd.crf
    • strings.crf

I had a problem with missing files when I reinstalled Thief Gold in 2018. If I remember correctly, I was missing two .crf files.

All my installs (various NewDark versions, with and without DromEd) have the following .crf in addition to those you have listed:
    --camera.crf
    --default.crf
    --motions.crf
    --song.crf

I'd highly recommend you acquire the GOG version of Thief 2, given that it currently comes with NewDark 1.26 by default. The Steam version remains an awful hodge-podge.

If you want to retain the German dialogue, it may be possible to annex this audio onto an official English install by adding the relevant files to a 'pathedres/snd' folder in the new install directory or, worst case scenario, replacing the English snd.crf with the German one... although both methods are likely to cause problems.

Zombified
    yeah, not having motions.crf definitely is a problem. I'd try to get the proper install media from the peg leg and parrot people - you should be allowed to do so in most countries, as long as you still own the original license.

Thank you for your help, DirkBogan and voodoo47! I now cobbled together an installation from various backups of mine. I just completed Running Interference on Normal and everything seems to be working.

Zombified
    sure.

would recommend T2Fix checking whether all the crfs are accounted for to prevent this in the future (TFix already does this, and will pop up warnings if a crf is missing).

It is good you managed to get running, Username. If you had been forced to purchase the English release from an online vendor, as it is the most common, there do exist various language packages that might have been an acceptable compromise, though some may be of dubious legitimacy.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    would recommend T2Fix checking whether all the crfs are accounted for to prevent this in the future (TFix already does this, and will pop up warnings if a crf is missing).
    I agree. Future versions will implement a more exhaustive resource check prior to patching.

In Shipping and Receiving, in the southeast corner of Building B, ground floor, there is a pickable footlocker with a rope arrow atop some crates that has been deliberately shifted to the north compared to the original vanilla release. May I ask why this was done? The point is that to reach the spice bag behind it, the only way used to be to break the skylight. Now there is enough room to simply rope up and walk past this footlocker. I feel changes like these alter gameplay to suit an individual's choice, but not done to fix something broken, or to adjust an aesthetic misalignment.

Also, in the same mission, you can no longer take the diamond behind the banner in Gilver's office without slashing the banner. This one is more debatable, but I strongly feel this is something that was tested before the game's release and apparent to the mission creators, and deliberately not fixed. Or is this perhaps just an automatic side effect of NewDark, and not done by T2Fix?

Regarding the footlocker, I know it used to block the player's path, but I've never actually seen it in its original place. When I started playing Thief in 2013 or so, using Tafferpatcher, it was already shifted. Considering how long it's been there, I'd be afraid of having it moved back.

As for the gem, the last time I played, which was recently, it was still possible to grab through the banner, so this addition seems new.

There is evidence that the gem found in Gilver's office was meant to be teleported to its position behind the banner when cut down, similar to how the statuette behind the secret painting in Lord Porter's is handled. The objects and links required to do this were already set up in the original release, however, this was not implemented properly, strongly suggesting that the original behavior was the result of an oversight.

There does not appear to be anything suggesting the footlocker was intended to be moved, but it was likely changed because it was just close enough to the ceiling to prevent the player from mantling over it, which can appear to be fairly ridiculous considering a mere footlocker impedes travel from a certain direction. In any case, this does certainly change the routing required to get to that area, which is a valid concern.

The Gilver diamond explanation is sufficient. In that case I agree with the new non-frobbable version.

However, the footlocker like you said seems to have been moved because it wasn't passable, which it was clearly never intended to be. So that is a case of a patch quite significantly changing what was a deliberate design choice by the Looking Glass authors, however ridiculous it might seem. And that is not good.

I'd hate to see that footlocker moved back though. However, I'm aware that I don't have any good arguments here. The best I have is: that area being passable just makes the mission more enjoyable. The fact that one loot piece is tucked away behind such a convoluted obstacle is, as mentioned, ridiculous.

Pardon if this has been asked or defined already, but in "Complete Mission & Resource Fix", what is included with "Resource Fix"?

For this particular TMA install, I'd like to keep it mostly vanilla. But I'm fine incorporating AM16's fixed missions. However, I'd like a better idea what's added or changed with the Resource Fix before leaving that option checked.

(I did scan the thread for an answer before asking...)

The fixed resources are primarily those included in AM16's Thief2 Fixed. They are vanilla-compatible fixes to primarily book strings, the interface, and various objects. For example, the fixed resources prevent torch jitter and Z-fighting visible in some original objects. If you are intending to keep a mostly vanilla install, which is certainly important for playing the upcoming contest missions, the fixed resources should not prevent you from reaching that end.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    However, the footlocker like you said seems to have been moved because it wasn't passable, which it was clearly never intended to be. So that is a case of a patch quite significantly changing what was a deliberate design choice by the Looking Glass authors, however ridiculous it might seem. And that is not good.
    Again, I can see the validity of the argument. I was offering a hypothesis as to why that particular change had been made, but it is possible that it was for a different reason entirely. You may want to inquire about this on the Thief2 Fixed thread, as AntiMatter_16 may be able to provide a firsthand explanation that is more accurate.
    Last edited by Jax64; 23rd Mar 2020 at 19:08.

Great! Thank you, Jax!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast