TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: An appreciation post

An appreciation post

I've been playing with Thief and The Dark Mod fan missions since 2012---If I have to take a guess, I'd say I've spent over 1100 hours in total with them---and I've barely posted here until this point.

Firstly, I'd like to thank anyone who's ever contributed to any fan mission: designers, writers, artists, voice actors, testers, and people who host the FMs on their servers. It amazes me how much quality content has been produced in the past 23 years (since the release of TDP), which can be enjoyed by anyone for free. Even now, as I discover FMs that I haven't played yet, I still see (and hear) something new and interesting that keeps me playing.

Secondly, I'd like to thank anyone who's ever worked on making TG and T2 run on a computer made after 2011 a pleasant experience. That includes people who have contributed to what makes up TFix and T2Fix as well as FM loaders. If all I had was the original "OldDark" builds and I had to manually copy and overwrite mission files every time I wanted to install a new FM, I don't think I would be a Thief fan today.

Thirdly, thank you to everyone who answers questions and posts hints in FM discussion threads and provides let's play or walkthrough videos on YouTube. In spite of how much time I've played with these games, I do get stuck from time to time, so these resources are definitely valuable to me, too.

And last but not least, thank you to everyone who makes TTLG forums what they are, whether you're an admin, a moderator, or a poster. While I've only visited the forums on occasion so far (mainly for the stickied FM listing thread or the FM discussion threads), I can see that they are the very core of the whole community. And of course, none of the content I mentioned above would exist without a great community. (Personally, I'm also glad that it's a stand-alone forum site, not just a Facebook group, a Discord server or whatever centralized thing is popular nowadays.)

There are probably more people who deserve kudos for their work, but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks for reading!

P.S.: Well, there's an obvious category I missed: the members of the now defunct Looking Glass Studios. I don't know if any of you happen to be here, but thank you for creating one of my favourite video games of all time.

Well said. I second that. Thanks to past and present.

I got nothing more to add that you didn't already say.

Hope to be playing Thief missions for long enough that I tap out on all the good ones, whereupon I go back and do them all over again 'cause it's just been that long. Sort of what I'm doing with Return of the Obra Dinn.

Very much appreciate your appreciation post, maxigaz!
    TTLG is indeed a very special place, and I still consider it to be at the very heart of Thief Fandom.

This is a nice thread.

Still reading.

I second that wholeheartedly, maxigaz. Thank you to everyone who has had a part in Thief, Thief FMs, and this unique and inspiring community!

Completely agree with everything said. When I try to estimate how many “free” hours of fun gameplay I have enjoyed, I get a little dizzy (clearly in the thousands).

One additional thing I would like to mention. A special thank you to the builders who have shared their knowledge and always helped out new authors who are struggling with technical issues. They have enabled many authors (like me) to complete missions when hitting bumps in the road. One such expert actually offered to fix a conversation problem I encountered by having me send the file and he fixed the issue. I may have given up but instead built another 5 missions.

Great forum. Thanks to all (including players who make all the work worth it).

bbb

Me too want to say thank you, not only as a FM player but as a FM author, too.
    To all those who created custom objects, wrote scripts, made translations, organized contests ... and, to apple-polish a little bit, I'd like to mention the admins who manage all forums of our worldwide community.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

very well said ,but i would like to add a special thank you to all the npc's in thief 1,g,2,3 for making my experience truly amazing