TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 1st Timer (TDM) - Good Dark Mod Missions

1st Timer (TDM) - Good Dark Mod Missions

Hello fellow Taffers,

I am going to give the Dark Mod another try (after very catastrophic first experiences back in '09 - black screen lockups and extreme frustrations with lockpicking, combat, and blackjacking). Hopefully after these many years, the awkwardness of gameplay is ironed out, and the high degree of difficulty customization will result in a fun experience.

Are there any Dark Mod missions that would work great as an introduction to the gameplay and/or universe of the Dark Mod (especially for a long time Thief player)?

Play the Training Mission to get the rundown of TDM mechanics. Then play A New Job, which should already be installed. I'd actually recommend skipping Tears of St. Lucia because it's a major difficulty spike; you might wanna try it later.

Then, try Talbot 2: Return to the City and Full Moon Fever. These are the ones that hooked me, and I'm a long time Thief player myself.

I will say, though: do not try to play TDM the exact same you play Thief, or you'll quickly get frustrated. It's a different game even though it looks similar on the surface. You have to get into its rhythm, which is slower than in Thief. Once you do though, you're in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Play the Training Mission to get the rundown of TDM mechanics. Then play A New Job, which should already be installed. I'd actually recommend skipping Tears of St. Lucia because it's a major difficulty spike; you might wanna try it later.

Then, try Talbot 2: Return to the City and Full Moon Fever. These are the ones that hooked me, and I'm a long time Thief player myself.

I will say, though: do not try to play TDM the exact same you play Thief, or you'll quickly get frustrated. It's a different game even though it looks similar on the surface. You have to get into its rhythm, which is slower than in Thief. Once you do though, you're in for a treat.
    Thanks! This helped me a lot. Playing the William Steele now, which is amazing from story perspective and not too hard gameplay wise.

There are also good Chronicles of Skulduggery trilogy: these are city missions with developing story, and mostly simple (there's a lot of optional objectives in each mission, but you can skip them, of course).

I haven't played some of the latest TDM missions, but the ones I'd recommend...

Full Moon Fever - It's your typical non-linear mansion heist that ranks very highly even among T1/T2 FMs.

Thief's Den 3: The Heart of Lone Salvation - Another non-linear mansion heist but with a different visual feel. Super solid all-around good FM that does about everything right. Can be played standalone without bothering with the previous parts.

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors - Not as good of a plot as the above, but works as a good showcase of a cityscape mission in TDM.

Behind Closed Doors gets my highest recommendations too, but it's large and not really for beginners. Play it once you're comfortable with TDM.

Also, once you're comfortable with TDM, make sure to play Perilous Refuge.

some small/shorter maps i've enjoyed:

Snowed Inn
    Lord Edgar's Bathhouse
    A Night of Loot
    Coercion
    The Gatehouse
    Thief's Remorse
    King of the Mountain

i'd add some more, but having binged a large amount of missions within only a few months last year, things start to blur together.

To be honest, I'd say 2/3 of TDM missions are worth it, but my favourite so far has to be Deceptive Shadows. Not for beginners though