TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Console games are now 3rd person games

Still Subjective

Console games are now 3rd person games

Or so it seems.

Certainly on the PS4 everything seems to be a 3rd person game of some sort. I have 4 games - GoW, Last Guardian, Spiderman and RDR2. All 3rd person. I like the look of Horizon:ZD and The Last of Us 2. Both 3rd person.

Big games out recently all seem to be. Zelda? Seikiro. Neir. DMC5. The Dark Souls series. Bloodbourne. RE2 remake.

It's a bit boring.

Don't console controllers lend themselves more to third-person games, while keyboard and mouse lend themselves more to first-person games?

Aiming in first-person on a console controller is... well, I was never able to do it (on the few occasions I've tried), and I've read articles about how cross-platform competitive games don't work because the PC players have such a huge advantage that it's not funny.

Meanwhile, everyone constantly says that games like Dark Souls aren't playable without a controller.

Haven't consoles always been mostly 3rd person? I mean, there was Halo and stuff, but still mostly 3rd person.

Southquarter.com/fms
    So you're arguing that console exclusives are mostly 3rd person? Not sure why that's a big deal, there are tons of first person games you can play on your PS4 if you so choose - they just also happen to be available on PC.

Chakat sex pillow
    Eh, if you have an action-adventure, it's bound to be third person for practical reasons. While there's the argument for the controller, there's also the argument that for games with lots of situational navigation/negotiating the environment, third person's going to be the default design mode, which is the bucket most of those games fall into (RE2's more horror-action, but the same principles apply).

Mirror's Edge stands out because it's one of the few first-person platformers that really made it work - and half of that's because of the sense of immersion you get rather than affording 100% precise platforming.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If you're looking for recommendations for non-3rd person PS4 games:

Steamworld Heist is one of my fave turn based strategy games of the last few years.

Axiom Verge and Iconoclasts are a couple great metroidvanias I played on the PS4 recently.

Telltale's adventure games - Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead especially.

First person - Arkane's stuff: Dishonored 2, Prey. The Far Cry's are also great, and then there's DOOM and Wolfenstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Don't console controllers lend themselves more to third-person games, while keyboard and mouse lend themselves more to first-person games?
    It's more of a distinction of aiming system than perspective. A third person shooter without lock-on aiming still offers just as much of a challenge as an FPS.

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Axiom Verge and Iconoclasts are a couple great metroidvanias I played on the PS4 recently.
    henkster, don't forget to throw in Hollow Knight while you're recommending Metroidvanias for the PS4. <3

Nowadays since you can use gamepads with Steam and other services, gaming on PC is the way to go imo.

The only one that tempts me is Switch, as that looks awesome and has some damn fine games. Very unique controller experience also.

For quite a long time now, the controllers and perspective have nothing to do with each other, unless, as Henke wrote above, it's a competitive multiplayer and aim precision. There are at least two generations of consoles with players very used to FPP view and aiming.

TPP kind of comes with popularity of open-world games, as the most successful use TTP, and that's the convention other titles copy. It can also be somewhat beneficial to the dev team, since you can scale down geometry complexity and texture resolution a bit. In FPP players can stick their noses to walls or floors, and things have to be razor-sharp for the most part.

Also, one thing I tend to forget: there are players that simply don't like this view as it makes them uncomfortable (some get disoriented, nauseous etc.).

I have no problem with centred third-person, but the off-centre third-person which has become popular in recent years can really bother me. Dead Space was particularly bad in that respect.
    (Hellblade too, but that game was meant to be unnerving.)

Only bit I don't like about 3rd person controls, is just how often those games have down as up, and up as down. Annoying.

Majority of games have Invert x/y axis options in their controller menus, so this is really not an issue. I remember watching a letsplayer who was an avid fan of flight simulators and he was so used to inverted up/down direction, he always changed it when he played other games.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Haven't consoles always been mostly 3rd person? I mean, there was Halo and stuff, but still mostly 3rd person.
    Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post

Meanwhile, everyone constantly says that games like Dark Souls aren't playable without a controller.
    For some games types it makes sense, yes, of course. Darks Souls. God of War. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    So you're arguing that console exclusives are mostly 3rd person?
    Not, not really.
    Not sure why that's a big deal, there are tons of first person games you can play on your PS4 if you so choose - they just also happen to be available on PC.
    I'm not talking about exclusives only.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Eh, if you have an action-adventure, it's bound to be third person for practical reasons.

Mirror's Edge stands out because it's one of the few first-person platformers that really made it work - and half of that's because of the sense of immersion you get rather than affording 100% precise platforming.
    Yes, I agree. An about ME too.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    If you're looking for recommendations for non-3rd person PS4 games:

Steamworld Heist
    This looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Hollow Knight
    As does this.

Anyway, I get why 3rd person suits a lot of game types, I'm just disappointed that there isn't anything more... experimental out there. We've these really powerful machines and everything is same same.

And I'd love a modern Metal Slug or R-Type just to mix it up a bit. I don't do racing games, as a rule, though I have Wipeout Fury for the PS3.

Timespinner for another. Or Bloodstained.

Beatem'ups. Best on console.

And Underworld Ascendant (made by former LGS gaming masters) is out on the PS4 now in case you're after a 1st person RPG.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Console games are now 3rd person games
    "Now"? This has been the case for over 20 years. Fifth-generation consoles were dominated by third person games. Super Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, StarFox 64, Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, Nights into Dreams, Spyro, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Zelda, Sonic 3D, and all the other fighting, driving, platforming, side-scrolling, role-playing, and SHMUP games.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Majority of games have Invert x/y axis options in their controller menus, so this is really not an issue. I remember watching a letsplayer who was an avid fan of flight simulators and he was so used to inverted up/down direction, he always changed it when he played other games.
    I'm a lifelong inverter for pretty much the same reason; my first first-person gaming experiences were with flight sims.
    Hoowever, I'd argue there's a physical reason "inverted" is the more natural way to play:
    If you place your hand on top of your own or someone else's head, you would then move it forward to look down, and back to look up.
    Last edited by Malf; 1st Jul 2019 at 09:08.

I don't see why "press down to look down and press up to look up" would be any less natural? You don't put your hand on your head when you want to look down, after all.

Personally, I look down by moving my chin closer to myself, not by grabbing onto my hair and yanking my head around.

IMO it's just a matter of convention. I used to play a lot of flight games in 16-bit era, from Flight Simulator 2 to F-29 Retaliator or Gunship, but then shifted to other games where inverted controls weren't used by default. I got used to it, and it became the standard. But if it had gone the other way, I probably wouldn't mind