TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chernobyl

Interestingly for my research on Fukushima I got caught up in some deep-well research into the physics of cesium, how it leaches through soil & gets absorbed into plant life (biouptake), and the whole cesium cycle in an ecosystem (not too different from the potassium cycle), etc. Soil & plant Cs absorption happens most readily in the peaty soil of forests, which is why mushrooms and berries, which grow in such conditions, get particularly concentrated with the stuff for the longest period of time. I don't recall the story with reindeer, but if they eat from those kinds of areas, I could imagine the Cs getting concentrated in the meat.

It was all pretty interesting, then I'd remember these are actual places that actual people have to deal with in their daily life. (On top of everything else, something like 70% of Fukushima Prefecture is forestland, and you can't really decontaminate it for a lot of reasons, nor would it be remotely cost effective for what little you could even do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Dude, just stop. When it comes to the Soviet Union, you have no idea. There isn't a single fellow countryman that I know who hasn't had people in their family executed or sent to Siberia. My own family fought against the Soviet regime and suffered the consequences. This isn't a topic for you to waffle about and pretend you know what you're talking about because you read some things, let alone try to lecture people whose lived experience this is.

Why the hell are you lashing out at me? What I posted SUPPORTS what you said.

If we're going to go down the whole "nobody is allowed to say anything except X group" direction then please kindly refrain from ever commenting on anything that has to do with American foreign policy. Besides which you have one perspective. Other people have other perspectives that may grant additional insight. It's not as if Angela Merkel and a bus driver have the same perspective and knowledge because they're both Germans.

The travesty is that the events of the Soviet Union aren't more ingrained in our consciousness, and it's a damning condemnation of our educational system that so few Americans even know what happened there.

Because you're trying to be an insufferable know-it-all on a subject that has affected my whole family. This isn't a matter to show off how very smart you are. If your family has similarly suffered due to American foreign policy, I will take this into account, of course, but kindly refrain from trying to lecture me on this subject. I should read Gulag Archipelago? Fuck off. My family lived it before the book was even written. It was on our shelf as soon as it became available.

You trying to lecture me on Soviet repression is the equivalent of going to a descendant of Nazi regime survivors and pontificating about the Holocaust.
    Last edited by Starker; 1st Jul 2019 at 15:26.

Dude I wasn't trying to "lecture" you. I was referring you to a book you might find interesting because it touches on the same topics you posted about and I described what I learned.

What's wrong with you?

What's wrong with you? Do you not get enough attention at home or something? You not only suggested reading this book to someone who was friggin' born in the USSR, you went on to tell me all about how Soviet society worked -- something you know little about and something that I personally experienced. Not to mention that your very first post here in the tread was already flippant.

As I said already, and I'm starting to get tired of having to repeat myself, this isn't a topic for you to waffle about and pretend you know what you're talking about because you read some things. This is like a white guy trying to tell a black civil rights activist about the history of the civil rights movement and suggesting that they should read some of Martin Luther King's speeches.
    Last edited by Starker; 1st Jul 2019 at 17:19.

Chakat sex pillow
    If you had any kind of sense, you'd shut the fuck up now, Tony.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Seconded.

Anyway, watched the show over the past 3 evenings, and, yeah, what everyone else said. It's the kind of thing you just can't tear yourself away from once you start watching. Terrifying, infuriating, exciting, heartbreaking, while still being completely believable. Great performances by the cast, I particularly liked Stellan Skarsgård's character.

I was 5 when this happened, and I don't remember any of it. Mom says her and grandma dug up the leek grass plant that was growing in our yard and hid it because they didn't want me eating it and getting irradiated. Usually whenever I went outside I'd go straight for it and start munching on that delicious, delicious leek grass. Mmm... leek grass.

Moderator and Priest
    I was about the same way, though it wasn't leek grass I ran for. Oh no. Yard mushrooms were my thing.

It's funny how I remember everything about the day I got caught eating a yard mushroom, up to the point I was given the syrup of ipecac, then leaned over a tub. It's all just an empty void after that.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Stellan Skarsgård
    Oh shit, is he in it? Well I'll simply have to watch it now, probably the greatest Swedish actor of his generation. I was already going to, but now I'm completely sold.

ZylonBane

Still Subjective
    Oh shiiiii

ZylonBane in "I watch a TV show that isn't like, 100% accurate", shocker.

ZylonBane
    What the hell are you blithering about now?

Still Subjective
    I'm just surprised you watch sexed up drama that probably deviates from the facts.

Moderator and Priest
    Cuz in the end, we're all caricatures of ourselves.

El Shagmeister
    I dunno about all you jokers, but I'm a legit living cartoon.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I was 5 when this happened, and I don't remember any of it. Mom says her and grandma dug up the leek grass plant that was growing in our yard and hid it because they didn't want me eating it and getting irradiated.
    I remember the talks that ensued when we got the early warnings from our relative. Most of that i do not remember the details confidently - except that he advised to tape the windows shut. We lived on the second floor so there was some wondering whether it would be worth it or not. That topic kept resurfacing as the news broke out / people started talking. I think we never did.

Adhered to the other points tho: stay out of rain / mind the dust beaten up from ground etc.

Amusing memory: while outside with other kids - rain came. The kind of rain that is fairly intense and short-lived (whatever it is called). So, out of rain we went - just taking cover in an alcove. It was interesting to watch the decision processes that followed. A few decided to go inside as told to do, but the majority did not. More interestingly some decided to be jackasses (aka. the cool kids) and dip into the rain - like what the hell is a few seconds gonna do compared the rest of day? Could not really argue with that. Except by voicing the common oneliner "are you afraid to put your head in the oven?" (not sure how widely understood this reference is. Short translation: "i won't follow your example"). Consequently i noticed that, what i would now call, "herd immunity against stupidity" rapidly formed in the group and the jackasses got out of rain also. Was quite amusing to watch it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123