TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 187 of 187 FirstFirst ... 87137142147152157162167172177182183184185186187
Results 4,651 to 4,668 of 4668

Thread: What have you watched lately?

He goes beyond homicidal. He's more like Hitler or Shodan.
    Last edited by icemann; 10th May 2019 at 10:28.

The supercharged Firefly that is the Prometheus starship is the only salvageable thing in the eponymous movie. I started watching Covenant and quit halfway through, it was so bad.

Such disappointments.

Edit: that DUST short you posted earlier was ace, icemann. Thanks for the share!
    Last edited by raph; 10th May 2019 at 12:23.

The way Sulph described opening the Jockey's helmet reminds me of Luke cracking open dream Darth Vader's helmet only to see his own face. That trope has providence and makes sense in narrative terms. It's just you don't want to do that with the literal physical guy or it turns it into a ham fisted klunk scene, like the author is so keen on pushing a theme they have to literally shove it into a world that didn't ask for it. I guess part of movie viewing maturity is liking one's symbolism more nuanced & thoughtful...

Still Subjective
    EvaUnit is on the blacklist now.

6/10 for Covenant is a joke. It's so awful.

Prometheus had a great premise (and yes looked great) but was just poorly executed. It was so close though. Less stupidity would have improved it immensely.

But Covenant? No stupidity. OH HEY GUYS WE NEVER DID A PATHOGEN CHECK OH LETS TAKE OF HELMETS O WAT THIS? A BLACK PATHOGEN IN DA FOREST NOW WE MESSED UP YO

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    The way Sulph described opening the Jockey's helmet reminds me of Luke cracking open dream Darth Vader's helmet only to see his own face. That trope has providence and makes sense in narrative terms. It's just you don't want to do that with the literal physical guy or it turns it into a ham fisted klunk scene, like the author is so keen on pushing a theme they have to literally shove it into a world that didn't ask for it. I guess part of movie viewing maturity is liking one's symbolism more nuanced & thoughtful...
    That's pretty much it. I have no issue with the trope as long as it serves a deeper read of the situation, and in TESB it serves its purpose as foreshadowing of where Luke's headed if he makes the same mistakes Anakin did. Contrast with Prometheus, where it's used as a subversive wink at the audience to say, 'Ta da! We were created by the aliens all along! No John, you are the demons.' Instead of deepening the context, it actively flattens out everything that was interesting about Alien's original mysteries. In space no one can hear you groan, but in a movie theatre everyone can hear you gargle your disbelief into an extra-large cup of coke zero.

My punishment for taking my friends to see Prometheus was that they got to choose whichever movie all of us saw next, and that no one would need to brook my discontent over their choice.

That next movie was Snow White and the Huntsman. I believe I still got off with the better end of that deal.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 11th May 2019 at 08:17.

I haven't seen Covenant. If I do it will be for it's own sake and not some tie in to the Alien saga. To me that is the problem. Since Aliens none of the movies have followed the theme of the original. I suppose you could say A3 did to some extent but went dark action flick with no theme or redemption. It just made an ending and a bad one.

So now the series takes off in a different direction with Prometheus. Okay. I'm not wedded to Alien. That it takes one element from it and expands on that to a creator theme is cool by me but explore that if you are going to introduce it and that to me was all Prometheus was. It was a setup movie. The big reveal had already been given away at the very beginning. Ah but the biggest reveal was that our creators didn't give a shit about us. THAT was the thing to explore with the next movie. At the end of it we had the main protagonist set to go to their world, to demand why, to stand before the ultimate parent and declare our worth. If necessary to spit it Gods face. Does that get explored? This is Alien so of course not. Since Aliens none have followed the others as a natural progression and exploration of the setup provided. No. Every writer has their own idea. They may not be bad ideas but they are not picking up the mantel.

The progression from Aliens should have been going after the corporate machine instead of a pussy out we can't do anything about our real unstoppable evil because it is so ingrained so just ignore it and go after the symptom in some dark give up. To me that is soul crushing. I would have liked to see Newt save Ripley. I would have liked to see Newt save us all. The best in us emerging from a child we risked all to save. Not to be too pollyanna but we need hope we can prevail over the dark authoritarian forces which are the worst of our nature. It's how I feel about our corporate world today. We need saving and instead we get leaders that enable our worst aspects.

Alien 3 I'll be forever torn on. On one hand there was a heap of stuff I really enjoyed about it (the new type of xeno, and the setting + actor performances). On the other it was a HUGE disappointment. Aliens set up some damn fine stuff, that only really got made good use of in the video games sadly. It's not a bad movie though. It's just to go from Aliens to that. Bah .

I can't think of any other examples, of where a prior movie was so damn good, and then got followed by a movie that wasn't bad, but was a huge disappointment. Phantom Menace maybe? Predator 2 (though I really enjoyed that one) ?

Hot take: Resurrection is the most entertaining Alien sequel. Joss Whedon's comments say a lot: "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines ... mostly ... but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they'd changed the script ... but it wasn't so much that they'd changed the script; it's that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

But the truth is, if they'd made the movie the way Whedon wanted it, it would have REALLY sucked. The script was garbage. Instead, it was directed by the fantastic Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who couldn't speak english and didn't even know the full plot of the film until he watched the final product with subtitles. He enlisted his usual favorite actors (Ron Perlman, Dominique Pinon, etc.), and they were clearly fully aware that they were in a trash heap, so they did what any self-respecting actor would do and delivered all the lines sarcastically. Watch with this in mind, and it will become clear that the actors were making fun of their lines as they were delivering them - even Weaver, who publicly claimed that she liked the script. The end result of this catastrophe is the most hilariously entertaining badgood alien sequel of all.

Wait - what was the script ending?

I cannot imagine anything worse than the godawful hybrid we got, but I dare not google it. Ugh.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    there was a heap of stuff I really enjoyed about it (the new type of xeno, and the setting + actor performances)
    The Special/Director's cut is much better. The xeno aspect of it too.

It was too long though, and the plot ends weakly.

Resurrection is just crap. The only good thing about it is Winona is in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Resurrection is just crap. The only good thing about it is Winona is in it.
    Hey now! Sigourney's hoop in one from across the court is totally worth watching!

The assembly cut of Alien3 is an absolute snooze. I've never seen the theatrical cut, but if it's actively worse than that then count me out. I enjoy David Fincher at times, but that film is absolutely the worst of the original 4. Resurrection was MUCH more entertaining for all the wrong (right?) reasons.

Pyrian - apparently he wrote 5 different script endings and none of them were used, so it's hard to say. I read that one of them involved a battle on Earth. But the whole idea of the concept behind the film and the hybrid came from fox and Whedon was just writing what they told him to from what I understand.

The battle on Earth likely drew inspiration from the books, which went in that direction. Best we got film wise that went that way, was both AvP films, which went in VASTLY different directions.

Still Subjective
    Endgame.

It was too long and I found it pretty boring tbh.

3/5

BlacKkKlansman was much better. 4/5

A little pallet cleanser.

Oh man, I've not heard that song in ages. Legendary.

Okay, I've seen Covenant. Such wasted potential. It's like they hate all their characters and can't wait to kill them off. I mean, why? There were so many interesting things that could have been done with the creator angle. Dumbasses go for a demented robot? I don't even want to see the next one.

Hey check this out. An old high school buddy of mine has always been a science nut and writes some fiction these days, published stuff, and made one of those super sensitive sonic recorder things and took it to a graveyard near me. It got something. Pretty damn weird that it got it atop a grave that looks like they were trying to keep someone from escaping.

Tell me what you think it says. I hear it plain as day but you tell me without my influence.

http://www.franktuttle.com/blog/2019...Ur1Pfr54lhNG6c

I know, I know, you don't believe any of this shit and me either but it's still creepy. I think it would make a good repeat phrase for a song though. And I KNOW Frank and he ain't making this shit up. Okay, he makes up a lot of stuff because he has written like thirty fiction books but you get me.

Page 187 of 187 FirstFirst ... 87137142147152157162167172177182183184185186187