TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 485358636873788388939495969798
Results 2,426 to 2,439 of 2439

Thread: What are you making?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Yay? \/
    It was a classic WIN-LOSE scenario.

Well my chat bot said it's first word: "ag'a".

Recall this chat bot is actually moving articulators of a simulated vocal tract that generates sound dynamically, chugging the actual math of simulated air flowing through the thing. The g' means it was a "g", the back of the tongue hitting the roof, followed by a glottal stop because I had the tongue actually move back to stop up the glottis before coming down.

It wasn't its own word yet. I plugged in random numbers by hand just to see if the command system is working
    (i.e., numbers come in & things move like the numbers tell them to).
    It is. So yay! Finally!!

One problem is something is making the whole thing freeze about 2/3 of the time, and I've lost mouse control...
    I'll have to figure what's doing that at some point.

But it technically works. I knew it would, but it's nice that practice follows theory when you code a thing properly functionally.
    Now I can finally start on the backend, the part where a bunch of tensors are going to (hopefully!) compute articulator movements themselves and send them to the online frontend sim over a web socket...
    When that says its first word then that's going to be a big deal! (To me.)
    I mean I'm going to have it do random babbling at the start but, you know, that's the "it's alive!" moment.
    Stay tuned.
    Last edited by demagogue; 11th May 2019 at 05:12. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Bought a laptop for work, mainly so I can show my game at exhibitions and stuff. Acer Nitro 5. i5-8300H, Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 512GB SSD. 890. Once I had it set up I immediately fired up the latest build of Stilt Fella, but to my dismay it was running kinda choppy. Oh no, have I bought a LEMON, I wondered. Then I tried out some other modern games and they ran fine. Good. It's just my game that's an unoptimized piece of crap then.
    I just had the same problem. Brand new laptop with a GTX 1060 and Darkmod runs at 16 FPS. I looked into my graphics card settings and it turns out that the default setting is set so that apps run on the Intel integrated driver, and only specified games are set to run on the GTX. What you do is make a new setting profile just for Stilt Fella and you can set it to run on the GTX. I did that for Darkmod and the FPS immediately shot up to 150. I'm about 95% sure that's your issue too.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the tip, but making a profile for it didn't seem to do much. Still getting ~40FPS on FullHD, Ultra settings. Pretty sure it was using the GTX before as well.

However, what did help was that I added an option to turn V-sync off. With it off I get ~190FPS.

Hmm. That actually kinda suggests you have a few long frames per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Hmm. That actually kinda suggests you have a few long frames per second.
    Which leads me to think there could some physics and/or gameplay calculations (which the renderer waits for) happening at specific intervals. Depending on the complexity of these calculations and their frequency, that could be the true source of the stuttering and FPS issues.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hmm! Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't looked at optimizing it at all yet but I guess I'll have to dig into it.

Hey, how much do you guys think would be an appropriate base non-discounted price for an expanded version of Cyborg Highway? I'd be adding more types of vehicles, a bunch of powers and enemies, much more dynamic traffic, and a story campaign.

https://pyrian.itch.io/cyborghighway

I used to think that $5 was a good standard price for indie games. Then I watched a long video on the subject, and immediately increased the price of my 2 games on Steam to $10. So I say $10. Charging $5 is essentially saying to buyers that you don't think your game is that good. Going above, says that you think it's decent. Or so the guy in the video said, so I'm going with that.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hey, how much do you guys think would be an appropriate base non-discounted price for an expanded version of Cyborg Highway? I'd be adding more types of vehicles, a bunch of powers and enemies, much more dynamic traffic, and a story campaign.

https://pyrian.itch.io/cyborghighway
    USD? Anywhere from $4.99 - $x depending on how much content goes in.

I liked the jam version enough as a souped-up Frogger, but my immediate reaction is, 'How does this translate to a meatier game?'. Keep in mind I'm probably not your target audience, as procedural score chasing isn't a genre I enjoy, but if there's a lot more interesting mechanics regularly thrown in the mix and zany story stuff I'd be likely to put down a bunch of notes proportionate to how long the game lasts.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'm planning a kickstarter for if it does well in the Ludum Dare scoring ("When the wave comes, be ready to catch it"). Setting a price without knowing my budget feels a little weird, lol. But basically planning on the minimum, which is really just a few months work - which is still a whole lot more than 3 days, though!

Sulphur, yeah, I'll be ditching the score chasing entirely in favor of a mission set, sort of brawler style. I've got lots of what I think are interesting mechanics planned, while trying to stay true to the principles of the core game (fast paced action focused on knocking enemies into hazards while navigating moving "terrain"). Upgrades, enemies, roads/trains, really there's no end of ideas IMO, and if I get stuck I can just go watch some silly movies for ideas.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'd stick with my earlier recommendation to make it a mobile game, and also cut down the color-scheme to a much simpler color gradient (maybe GameBoy-aesthetic) for increased readability, and release it as a free, ad-supported game with the option to remove ads for ~3$.

I loved the shit out of games like that in the 80s (Atari 2600, Commodore 64, arcades etc). I'm not sure if games like that are popular at all anymore.

Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 485358636873788388939495969798