TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How to use a key?

How to use a key?

This may be a stupid question, but how do I use a key? I am trying to do the first fighters guild quest, and kill the cave rats upstairs. I have the key, and the door. I have used lock picks, and I guessed a key would be the same - drop into the left window, then activate with F. But it will not drop into the left window. Could not find anything in the manual, and a asearch of this forum for "key" turned up nothing (which probably means it is really obvious).

First of all, yes this is a stupid question. Second, just click on the door, like you would open a normal, unlocked one. The key gets attaumaticly used.

Hmm, not sure why I did not think of that. Thanks.

The other thing I could not do but should be simple is use a bow. I can equip, and it appears whe I press F. I have some arrows and some marksman skill. I was guessing just left click. Do I have to load arrows first? Are some arrows incompatible with some bows?

When you equip your bow by dragging it onto your portrait, you also have to do likewise with the arrows you want to use. As far as I know, you can use any arrows with any bow.

There are no such thing as stupid questions.

Just stupid answers

And bizarre spelling.

'attaumaticly'

wuht?

Yeah, sorry 'bout that...Oh, and bolts can only be used for crossbows, arrows for long and short bows.

Thanks. I managed to go up two levels last night (ah, the giddy heights of level 3), and hit something with my bow. And missed a load of others. So what is the difference betwen different types of arrows?

The better material, the more your going to hate it if someone else is shooting you with it. {IOW it causes more pain.}

Also it's the type of arrow, not the bow, that determines whether you can hit ghosts and the like. Silver arrows fired from an iron bow will work, but iron arrows fired from a silver bow won't.

Really? A silver bow works against ghosts in Oblivion....then again I avoided archery like the plague when I played Morrowind.........

Better arrows travel in a straighter (and more predictable) path, AFAIK.

Morrowind.TTLG.com

Hitting is based on your skill with the bow, not the type of arrows or the type of bow.

Also, the better material, the arrow usually holds more enchantment. Like a steel viper-arrow normaly does less poison than a bonemold viper-arrow

Few more questions...

A couple of my stats are in red (luck and personality) what is the significance of that?

What do the little icons at the bottom right of the screen mean?

I have tried using the official forum at www.elderscrolls.com/forums, but after creating a new account there, I was still unable to seach or start new threads, and now my account has disappeared. Anone else had these problems? It is the construction set forum I want, as there is none here.

Morrowind.TTLG.com

Red stats mean they have been drained. Head to a shrine to get them restored to normal.

The bottom right show effects that are currently on you. The different icons show what spell effects they are and what not.

Also worth noting is that if you have something that boosts one of your stats, if that stat is drained, you'll only be able to restore it to its normal level while the boost is still active. You'll have to remove the boost in order to fully restore the stat, then reapply it to gain the boost.

...No matter how many times I read that, I still don't get it...

Yes, not exactly the clearest explination, is it?

Let me try again.

Say you have a strength of 50 and a ring that gives you +20 strength (Constant effect) so your altered strength is 70. Then you get hit by something that drains your strength to 10, so with the +20 bonus, your altered strength is 30. If you go to a shrine or cast a restoration spell, your strength will only go back up to 50 (30 plus the 20 point bonus), because that's what the game thinks your strength is. You'll have to take off the ring before you get restored so your natural strength returns to 50, then put on the ring to regain your altered 70 strength.

In other words: Before you restore a damaged stat, unequip all enchanted items that boost that stat.

Thanks Peeps, that sums things up. I understand now, like when I got confused about what happened when I had the Masque of Clavius Vile equipped and then I put on the Mantle of Woe.
    Last edited by Ailtar; 18th Nov 2006 at 01:46. Reason: Cuz Im gay