TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission ó The Scarlet Cascabel (11/30/2018)

Master Builder 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Independent Thief View Post
    Tried that but nothing happened, is v1 the latest version?
    Actually no, the latest version is V1.1, but that shouldn't matter for that objective. To be clear, the hotel is not in the village, you just need to cross the bridge and approach the gate on the left. The mission should end.

On a side note, we recommend downloading version 1.1 because there are some things in mission 2 that are broken in the early version and you won't be able to complete it.

So I got myself stuck in the plumbing under the dumbwaiter Ė I can swim through to the other end of the water tunnel with the chalices and plates, but I can't get out of the water at either end because the grating blocks the way and the edge in the dumbwaiter shaft is too high. I don't want to reload my latest non-quick save... is there any way out of here?

@poronty

There is a lever beneath the grating that opens it.

Quote Originally Posted by urgrue View Post
    There is a lever beneath the grating that opens it.
    Oh... indeed there is. How embarrassing. Another case of "looked for [thing] at the exact same spot for 15 minutes without success, but somehow being told by someone else that it is there made it magically appear". Thanks, now I can continue exploring this awesome fm.

Can I get a hint to the location of pawn 1?

Also, is there a way to acquire DearJimJim without it attacking you and dealing damage?

I can't believe I spent 5 hours in the second mission alone. And that includes me being stuck in the winter wing because I didn't pay attention and didn't look for the conservatory but the observatory. But since you can't get out I was slowly going mad.

The ambience was amazing. The spooks and scares were placed with such finesse.

Master Builder 2018
    Pawn 1 is on top of the big telescope in the observatory.

As for Mister Jim Jim, we had to release that side (joke) unfinished due to the time restrictions for the contest, but have this solved for the re-release. So, in the version you are playing there is no way to avoid damage.

Struck me as a little funny you got lost between the conservatory/observatory, but sorry it was frustrating (especially after such a long time playing). The re-release will also include onscreen text to make it easier to understand dialogue said in-game.

Thanks for playing, and glad you liked the ambience and spooks ; ) Hope you will play the completed version as well, which is taking us a bit longer than anticipated due to life intruding, but shouldn't be too much longer.

I just finished this amazing mission. I was absolutely blown away by the atmosphere, and very impressed by how much of it was from sound alone. I was shaken by Room 13, but the winter wing was a thoroughly bone chilling experience. I concur that the spooks were well placed and I am amazed by how little of it came from enemies. I'm still not over those training dummies. "Don't go down there" also threw me. The brilliant architecture of the hotel made it a joy to explore. This mission definitely deserved to win. Thank you for this incredible mission and congratulations!
    Last edited by The Black Cat; 29th Apr 2019 at 07:36.

Master Builder 2018
    Thanks for your comments, we're so glad you enjoyed it! Be sure to play the revised version once we release it (hopefully soon). Lot's of changes and new content.

The Scarlet Cascabel

Hi
    Long post alert. I promise not to do it again.
    As so much effort has gone into the game I wanted to say thank you. I know you were using mostly stock assets but, as others have said, the atmosphere created by clever placement of sound and silence had me on edge in the same way as a film by Hitchcock (obviously Psycho) or The Shining (Jack Nicholson in spirit-haunted hotel with spooky ballroom) or David Lynchís Twin Peaks. The reference to Mister Jim Jim as a block of birch, immediately made me think of The Log Lady.

I played in Normal mode and knocked out everyone in sight, my usual method, then I could relax. Famous last words. That chair suddenly moving in one of the rooms made me physically freeze. Brilliant. Eventually after much use of helpful posts in this forum and a stats time of over 20 hours I completed Mission 2 and foolishly went back to my last save, to find missing chess pieces. With everyone unconscious, I was totally relaxed. You might say cocky. Iím sure Iíd been in room 13 previously, because I remember cleaning up a little bit of blood on a bath mat, as one does, and I must have left by the way I got in. I returned and this time checked the bathroom thoroughly for chess pieces. You can imagine the complete shock when I closed that scroll. Inexplicably I set to, cleaning up with water arrows. It seemed the only decent thing to do. This was before I found out the bath could be seen through the window in the public corridor. Oh God, the bedroom. I didnít know if I was cleaning in respect for Adora or, as often in real life, I didnít want anyone to think it was me (for lesser crimes, you understand) but when the footsteps started, I froze. Very very clever! Iím alright now.

Back in 1998/9 I was sent a promotional copy of ďAssassinsĒ from ďThe Dark ProjectĒ and later bought the first 3 Thief games but Iím out-of-touch with latest developments in the gaming world and only belatedly came across the FM community, Darkloader, FMSel, and read about the competition that you won.

Well done authors, testers and all concerned. Itís a very fine game. For the most part the fear was not in running from missiles or worrying that snoring people would wake but the anticipation of what might happen. It was sensitively done and at times I was moved or felt sympathy e.g. for Elizabeth and even dingbat Sally Sue and was glad to return her doll. I laughed at the revulsion about M and W, at 40. Truly awful! As someone who wrote his first program in Sept 1967, I can confirm to the young maid who thought it gross, that such things do happen. If youíre lucky. Otherwise you have to dream. But back then we never dreamed of writing programs remotely as clever or attractive as this game. We thought we were at the cutting edge getting a few punched cards on a mainframe to print ďHello WorldĒ.

I downloaded the game only recently, and it looks like I've been playing the 1st release (TDP20AC_TheScarletCascabel_v1_) so at some time Iíll try the latest. Presumably I have to delete the old version first? Iíve since downloaded 1.1 but FMSel didnít seem to detect and I didnít want to lose saved games just yet as Iím still short of pawn 3, if anyone cares to offer a clue.

Once again hats off to craftsmanship and the attention to detail. Mind you, it beats me how the occupants of Room 14 got all those crates up the stairs, let alone up from the village.
    Congratulations Tannar and Pukey Brunster. Brilliant!
    Regards

Southquarter.com/fms
    Speaking of, any news on the updated version?

Master Builder 2018
    We are nearly complete with the updated version, and hope to have it into beta very soon. A LOT of changes were made to overall aesthetic and gameplay, and life (as it so often does) has continually intruded ; ) But, we are almost there.

@Aged Raver, thank you for your detailed post, and no worries about the length - we love long posts, and enjoyed reading about your experiences. Also, it was funny and entertaining to read.

Hint for you, where to find Pawn 3 (a sneak preview from our upcoming re-release): Above the deep I never slip, be careful lest you take a dip.

Outright spoiler: on the rafters overlooking the pool.

We're very happy you enjoyed the mission, and hope you will play the updated version when it's released!

Master Builder 2018
    @ Aged Raver: Who's "The Log Lady"? We're stumped!

Oh! Thank you both for your replies and the hints. I'll follow them up shortly and then my spirit will be free! Well, until I start again. The Log Lady was a side character in the haunting TV series Twin Peaks. Surprisingly I've just found she has her own Wikipedia page which explains better than I can (you'll be pleased to know). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_Lady
    Thank you again.
    Regards

Master Builder 2018
    Oh man! I can't believe I didn't make the connection.. I love Twin Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    Long post alert. I promise not to do it again.
    I am guilty of writing long posts as well, but I won't promise anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    I downloaded the game only recently, and it looks like I've been playing the 1st release (TDP20AC_TheScarletCascabel_v1_) so at some time I’ll try the latest. Presumably I have to delete the old version first? I’ve since downloaded 1.1 but FMSel didn’t seem to detect and I didn’t want to lose saved games just yet [...]
    You have already been playing version 1.1 all the time, the newest version currently available. FMSel shortens zip file names and directory names at a certain point; the whole name displayed otherwise would have been "TDP20AC_TheScarletCascabel_v1_1". The first version of this campaign is displayed as "TDP20AC_TheScarletCascabel" in FMSel.

@ baeuchlein

HaHa! Thank you very much! Now I understand. I have a lot to learn. Danke.

hi all,
    I've returned after 5 years without Thief (yes, that damned unbelievable Minecraft). And the return is amazing because I started with this incredible great FM. Especially 2nd part is outstanding. 10/10. As somebody has written yet: this is "Ominous Bequest" of Thief Gold !!!

Nevermind. I've found what to do as soon as posting question....

Need help. I'm in winter wing. I was behind tower with "stairs" and got note about finding 4 pieces (which I have got yet). I've been in bedroom with glass doors back to part with dripping fountain, however I'm not able to open door. I haven't met Elisabeth ghost yet (only red one).
    Should I put 4 pieces into circle pool with a lot of swords around?
    Last edited by Aspirin; 12th Jun 2019 at 17:33.

I'm somehow getting a blue texture that I thought perhaps was apart of the mission until I seen it all over.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctmp4pq813...1s581.jpg?dl=0

I've done a fresh install of Thief 2 from GOG, and then updated to New Dark 1.26. I'm also using New Darkloader 1.6.1 to run FMs. Excuse me as I haven't properly updated or played Thief in quite awhile, so I'm a bit behind as to what are all the latest and proper installs to have.

Master Builder 2018
    The reason you are seeing a blue texture is that this mission is for Thief 1/Gold (as are all the contest missions), not Thief 2. If you have TG and haven't updated it to the latest New Dark version, you can do so using TFix. Follow the instructions on that page and during installation be sure to uncheck any enhancement packs if you want to play these contest missions as they are meant to be seen.

*Sigh* on that note, I am deleting my account from embarrassment, haha. I'm not sure how I missed that. Thanks a lot for the information!

Master Builder 2018
    You're welcome, and please don't delete your account, lol! If you do, I'll have to also cause I've done the same thing before, as I'm sure have many others.

Pawn 3 ? Pawn 5 ?

Master Builder 2018
    For Pawn 3, read this post. For Pawn 5, check the kitchen.

Tannar: thanks. Finished: 7 hours. Loot 5172/6377. I haven't known Keepers play basketball...

Once more: outstanding mission !!!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast