TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Can't open a template mission file in Dromed

Can't open a template mission file in Dromed

When I click on the "Open Template" function, I get an error message saying Load Failed, can't find file "levels\template.mis" How do I find the template.mis file? Creating the "levels" subfolder is easy, just need to find that "mis" file.

It would have to have been created by you first. This is your ideal start mission, with your scripts loaded and whatever else you would like to start building with - then saved as that name to grab via drop down menu.

I might recommend the new Dromed Startpack that contains a mission already loaded with common resources and subsequent folder layout.
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149664

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I have to create a mission for the first time in order to set it up as a template for other fan missions I want to create in different variations. Cool, I will check that out.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    For what it's worth, I have never used a template, I just start a new mission and point it at a custom starting gamesys and go.

Right... because over the course of all your eventual building, setting up your start post and scripts is like 1 or less percent of your labor. However, it could act as a sort of motivator to start a new project, phycological I suppose.

Either way, using a template to start carving out your mission is fine. You can always modify the room you are in and change it anyway you like. It just saves you time to have mostly all the resources loaded for you when you load a template. It's like a quick start to creating your level.

I have set up my template as a basic 2 rooms with all the scrips loaded and several switches ,buttons and lights. I use it to test setups for all kind of scripting events.

That's one thing I'll need to work on, loading scripts just before I finish creating my mission. I just need to remember the right command to activate them in the console box.

It would be better to load convict and gen in the beginning, and load custom scripts when you first have a need to use them.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I would say it is essential, not just better.

What about editing custom scripts?

You may not need any depending on what you plan to do. See the tutorials for more info.

Maybe editing custom scripts to create or edit an ambient sound schema file to put into your mission that none of the other original Thief missions have. I'm curious if I can create a custom ambient sound unlike the ones that come with the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I would say it is essential, not just better.
    Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    Maybe editing custom scripts to create or edit an ambient sound schema file to put into your mission that none of the other original Thief missions have. I'm curious if I can create a custom ambient sound unlike the ones that come with the game itself.
    Changing the schema files during a mission won't do anything. I'm sure that you could use a script to change which ambient is playing, or just teleport the ambient markers in and out as needed.
    Last edited by john9818a; 5th May 2019 at 18:16.

Ok, I'll have to experiment and see what happens, thanks.