TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 178 of 181 FirstFirst ... 78128133138143148153158163168173174175176177178179180181 LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 4506

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    You lasted longer than I did. I made it 4-5 episodes into the season that starts with Glenn getting bashed, so didn't even make it to Carl's death. And I lasted a bit longer with Fear TWD, up until the lead guy's kid died and maybe a bit further, I think when they were just up to the Mexican border ready to cross back
    Well that was a bit of an exaggeration on my part in regards to Fear. I actually the made to that episode where his kid died. But I got really drunk that night passed out before that scene. So I was really confused a few days later when I was bored and watched a rerun of Talking Dead!

Edit: No love for the T-1000!?

Still Subjective
    This season's TWD is much better.

The last season was real rubbish. I gave up and only went back because I was told how different this one is because bye bye Rick and hello 6(ish) year time jump.

I have watched every TWD from the beginning. I agree Negan nearly killed the show with Glen. But I got closer to Daryl during that season and Sophia died a good death though they keep killing off the wrong characters. I guess a lot of the deaths were really about contract negotiations. They also keep pairing characters awkwardly. Just bam with little preamble. Looking forward to more of Judith. I liked how they brought her along this season. I know those who read the comic are slobbering about the whisperers appearing but I would just as soon not have them considering who we had to lose. Eh. I'll watch.

Still Subjective
    The whisperers seem completely illogical to me. But we'll see.

Still Subjective
    How to Train Your Dragon.

And part 2.

I like them both, but why are all the Vikings Scottish?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Eating chocolate
    Drinking brandy
    Its snowing outside
    Im watching mandy

HOHOHO MERRY CAGEMAS

Level 10,000 achieved
    Roma, the latest film by Gravity and Children of Men writer-director Alfonso Cuarůn came to Netflix today. It's a beautiful movie, but also a very slow one. It's only in the 3rd act when things really get going. Well worth a watch.

Last night I watched "How to be a Wallflower". Interesting movie, though its a movie of 2 different halves. The first half is largely about getting bullied and trying to find worthy friends in school, and the second half (where the movie all of a sudden got really good) is about finding your true self, dating, repressed memories, true friends, drugs etc etc. Two VERY different halves. Second half is where the movie got good for me.

Most high school movies I've watched are set within a night / couple of days / week / couple of weeks. This one I got the impression was over the course of a year. So a fair bit more goes down than you'd normally see in a high school movie. Movie kinda reminded me of "The Wonder Years" in some respects like the narration style where he's writing to his older brother (where as in The Wonder Years he was recounting the past to himself I think). Though the movies a bit more dark than Wonder Years. Excellent movie overall. Would watch again.

8/10
    Last edited by icemann; 14th Dec 2018 at 22:19.

Chakat sex pillow
    This is another video mashup for movies released in the year, and it's pretty special. Now if only I could find out what some of those movies were.

edit: oh, movie names on a per-scene basis are in the link in the description. Hurray!
    Last edited by Sulphur; 17th Dec 2018 at 07:03.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Eating chocolate
    Drinking brandy
    Its snowing outside
    Im watching mandy

HOHOHO MERRY CAGEMAS
    I read somewhere that, with Mandy, Nicolas Cage was essentially entering the 'Fat Elvis' phase of his career. While I don't know about that, the quiet lumberjack persona that gives way to a man possessed in an age-old tale of revenge was... well, it was something? The fantasy book cover fonts and chapter titles suggest that, erm, the gateway drug to fantasy is LSD? It's probably intentional that Cage goes really off the rails the moment he samples the Druggy Cenobites' tainted acid. Speaking of which, I really wish there was more to them than just channelling feebler versions of their Hellraiser counterparts.

In the final analysis, I don't know what Mandy was going for outside of a purple-infused lysergic exploitation throwback. Maybe that's actually all there is to it, and to examine it further is futile. But there's no doubt that it is, quite literally, a trip.

I really enjoyed The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. For one thing, I just loved the dialogues with the kind of colorful, dated language being used, and the gorgeous scenery. And they're just six entertaining stories that were sometimes funny, but also showed the hardships of the Old West. I don't really get what the Coen brothers are trying to say with it, as in a deeper meaning, but that's the case for their movies most of the time for me. They're always interesting but their meaning is kind of elusive for me.

My favorite stories were Meal Ticket, the Gal something something (the 5th one) and The Mortal Remains.

Today I watched Ken Russell's The Devils for the first time: quite a movie you made there, Ken. While I think the details are slightly exaggerated (I mean, nuns gone wild raping a crucified Jesus, even if it's just a statue, does seem a little over the top), seeing how people in power still abuse both that power and religion in general, or what religion can make people do, I don't think it strays too far from the truth in the whole. I don't care much for religion (nor power, I guess -- although it might corrupt me as well if I had it), but I do understand why someone would want to ban this movie, even if I don't agree.

For some less controversial stuff, I also watched The Void and The Invitation, which were both quite tolerable with competent acting (for being horror movies).

Just watched "Solo - A Star Wars Story".

The Last Jedi REALLY left a sour taste in my mouth. I absolutely loved Rogue One, but TLJ was just such a mixed bag. The Kylo and Rei bits though. Excellent.

Due to that, the casting, and the word on the movies development I skipped watching Solo A Star Wars story at the cinema. And man was I completely wrong about this movie. Went in with very low expectations and quite quickly was completely blown away by this movie. Never a dull moment. Great acting across the board. Even Alden Ehrenreich was good in it. The key there is just not comparing it to Harrison Ford and just treating it like a reboot sort of. Even Amelia Clarke was great in this. MUCH BETTER than her performance in Terminator Genisys. I did myself a MAJOR disservice in not going to see this at the cinema. TLJ was just so blah.

10/10

I'd happily watch this again. I love Rogue One, but even that had some bland characters in there. This has none of that, has an excellent plot and characters and is just a great movie. What is it with the spin offs vs the main Star Wars movies? Their all better than the main ones. If they do anymore spin offs, I'm in. It's a shame that this did not do better at the box office as it deserves better. I'm quite annoyed at myself now.

So is Darth Maul still alive? How in the hell is that possible. He got cut in half for fucks sake.

Apparently Maul got a robotic lower half and was a pretty major character in one of the animated series.

Still Subjective
    Yeah, that's dumb af though. Worst bit of the film.

I saw Whiplash at last. Tremendous.

And then The Big Short. Also great.

Finally saw the new IT. What a crock. The original tv miniseries was much better.

Still Subjective
    The Shape of Water. Yawn.

Moneyball. Very good.

Moana. Wish I'd seen it at the cinema. It was good fun but looked greeaaaaat.

Has anyone had the time to sit down and watch Black Mirror: Bandersnatch yet? Trailer looks good but I haven't sat in front of the TV yet.

Still Subjective
    Yes.

It's great. It's a return to form for Black Mirror, which had a few poor episodes recently.

Much rewatchability too.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watership Down - 4 part animated miniseries by Netflix and DA BEEB, about a bunch of rabbits who have themselves a BIG OL' ADVENTURE. I'm not familiar with the earlier incarnations of this story so I can't judge it against those, but it was pretty good. It starts off strong with a lot of interesting world building in chapter 1, then the middle 2 chapters kinda get bogged down in a lot of repetition of various escape attempts playing out over and over again, but in the final chapter things pick up again.

Bone Tomahawk - Really good n gritty western. Well-written and performed characters and some really fucked up gory scenes. Feels a bit Tarantino-esque, but not in a rip-offy way.

Phantom Thread - Uhhhhh... kinda boring? I love PT Anderson's early movies, they had such fun, crazy energy to them, but from There Will Be Blood onwards they've all been so serious. Sheesh.

Assassin's Creed - Watched like the first 30 minutes, and after that time absolutely nothing interesting or fun had happened so I turned it off.

edit: I watched 4 things with equally long titles? I'm all about equality, baby!!!

Iím surprised you found Phantom Thread serious; I thought there was definite darkly humorous streak to that one, especially in its third act. Shame you found it boring, but itís definitely not the kind of film that would suit everyone.

And yes, Bone Tomahawk has one of the most fucked-up bits Iíve ever watched.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Have you seen Zahler's follow-up to Bone Tomahawk, "Brawl In Cell Block 99"? It's actually even more fucked up, if you can believe it. I saw that first so I kinda felt I got off easy when Bone Tomahawk only implanted one new un-erasable nightmare-vision in my brain. :|

Tonight watched "Sorry to Bother You".

The trailer for this one, gives off the appearance that it's a movie about call center life. Which as I used to call center work seemed interesting. Then I watched it.......

Some spoilers ahead:

What a clusterfuck of a movie. Technically it starts off in a call center, and those bits are interesting. But then it goes off into a completely different world. Sliders, parallel universe style stuff. Fucking horrible. And yet I couldn't stop watching it, as it just goes off into crazy randomness. One minute it's about protesting, and whether to stand with your friends against an oppressive company vs looking only out for yourself. Those bits were quite interesting. Next it's about human/horse hybrid's being created as a replacement workforce. WHAT THE FUCK.

Terrible movie.

1/10. And it only gets that 1 due to all the well known actors that pop up in this horrible movie.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's a pretty fragmented movie that doesn't quite pull its many potshots together, and it's not an organic story (part of the point and its ethos), but there's no 'parallel universe' to it. It's about unchecked corporate greed and takes a particularly dim view on corporates' treatment of bottom rung workers, hence the 'horse' twist as a metaphor. This is extremely unsubtle movie allegory, but sure, the art film wrapping on it is pretty marmite, as absurdism tends to be. It's not quite Beckett, but it's in the same school of thought.

Anyway, I thought it was a 6.5/10, an interesting failure. Also good to see Keith in a movie after killing it as Darius in Atlanta, which was one of the most interesting darkly comedic satires of the year.

Well I can't stand arty movies wrapped as more serious ones. The bit where Tessa stood up and got the crowd to throw water bombs filled with pigs blood, and fake mobiles at her, was the moment where I was like "This movies fucking terrible" and I'm quite forgiving of movies generally.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Watership Down
    Read it as a teen and found it amazing I could get caught up in the lives of rabbits. Always thought "tharn" should be a real word.

Page 178 of 181 FirstFirst ... 78128133138143148153158163168173174175176177178179180181 LastLast