TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79129134139144149154159164169174175176177178179
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 4475

Thread: What have you watched lately?

I looked up that scene in Bone Tomahawk because I am a curious kinda guy. Well, fuck you very much.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Don't say we didn't warn you!

Would you recommend Brawl in Cell Block 99, henke? I don't mind violence in movies in general, but I don't need it, and I do mind films that veer into the sadistic. Bone Tomahawk had enough other things going for it, and by the time *that* scene arrived I didn't think it was merely gratuitous, but at the same time I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't been quite as horrific as if was.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I liked it, tho it's pretty sadistic. I feel the same way about Zahler as about Lars Von Trier. Good movies, but so unpleasant you only wanna watch them once.

I just watched Panos Cosmatos' Beyond the Black Rainbow. It's one of those movies I knew I had to watch when I first stumbled into it. I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it, but I'm glad I did. What I can say about it has already been said, so I won't say much other than that it had enough of an impact on me that I wanted to mention seeing it. I loved the visuals, the (relatively) slow pace, and Michael Rogers does a great job at being sinister, sometimes only by a slight shift of face. I wouldn't say the movie tries anything new, but what it does is competently done. For me, its real strength lies in the overall tone, and not so much in the storytelling, which felt more basic than the visuals might suggest, even if the exact details are a little obscure. Great movie to just sink into and slowly drift offshore by.

Sorry to Bother You. Utterly brilliant. One of the best movies I've ever seen, period.

Bandersnatch was great. A bit of a novelty, but much more engaging than most of the prior season.

Gonna have to disagree with SubJeff on Shape of Water. I adored that movie to death.

I didn't much like Beyond the Black Rainbow. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, but while the visuals were brilliant, everything else about it was quite lacking. Mandy was a big improvement.

Still Subjective
    Aquaman.

Great stuff. Glad it was as, err, aqua focused as it was. Only wish I'd seen it at iMAX. The music from the trailer wasn't apparent enough, which was a shame.

Just saw Wonder Woman. Not sure why I didn't see it earlier. It was very emotionally manipulative. Okay goddammit, I teared up. Fuck you.

Still Subjective
    I liked Wonder woman until the final fight, which I thought was lame.

I really, really like Man of Steel. I don't get the hate people have for it. WW was good (up to the end) and Aquaman was great.

It's Ben Ffffing Affffleck.

The DC films he's in are the weak ones. Oh, and that Cyborg effort. Ack. But Affleck, on paper, looks like an okay choice for Batman. But I rewatched Batman Begins the other day and Bale was sooooo right for it. Heck, I'd rather old Michael Keaton do it than Affleck again.

Man of Steel was 3/4 terrible CG fight scenes. It felt like watching Zack Snyder play with toys rather than actually watching a movie, plus the characterization of Superman sucked for the fans.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Man of Steel was 3/4 terrible CG fight scenes.
    But it just isn't and maths and time can show you this. It's far from it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Eh, Man of Steel had bigger problems than CGI. It was dark and characterless, and didn't even have the joy of the Richard Donner films' wry humour or Singer's misguided reverence for them. It's very Zack Snyder, and the problem with Zack Snyder is that his signature dour/OTT approach works across a very narrow range of things, which may or may not have been 300 and parts of Watchmen.

I cant even remember much of the film besides the main bad guy being thrown through several buildings. Quite a forgetable movie.

300 was dreadful. Snyder is just awful all around, and so is Miller.

And sure, MoS may not have literally been mostly fighting, but it sure felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    I didn't much like Beyond the Black Rainbow. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, but while the visuals were brilliant, everything else about it was quite lacking. Mandy was a big improvement.
    I agree it was partly and definitely flawed. A movie as slow as this might have to be longer (to allow for things to develop more), or not try to be more than it is. With that said, the parts I liked was good enough for me to enjoy the movie as a whole -- and even call it a new favourite of mine (I rewatch it for the visuals, soundtrack, and the overall tone, not for the story (although for the most part I liked how it was told) or character development, which I think was lacking a lot). I realize it might be odd to turn a blind eye like that, but maybe I'm just a "half-full" kind of guy, focusing on the part of the glass that contains something instead of the part that is empty. I'm conflicted, though; might just be that the movie is riding on the success of other movies that it reminds me of, and maybe I just allowed myself to be distracted by that. At the same time, I don't want to let that stop me from enjoying what I thought was done brilliantly.

Could you recommend similar movies that you think succeeds where this one fails?

I haven't seen Mandy yet, but that one is on my list of movies I want to see. I also want to rewatch A Space Odyssey now.
    Last edited by qolelis; 11th Jan 2019 at 14:21.

Once Upon a Time in the West is still one of the best goddamn films ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Could you recommend similar movies that you think succeeds where this one fails?
    Any late Refn film except Neon Demon. Don't listen to the critics on Only God Forgives - it's actually brilliant.

Upstream Color. Shane Carruth wrote, directed, produced, scored, and played the lead character in the film, and it's fantastic.

Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void is in a similar visual vein and certainly more substantial than Black Rainbow, but I find it unwatchable for the Von Trier esque childish pessimism. Nonetheless, it certainly stirred a stronger reaction in me.

Under the Skin was interesting.

Thanks for the tips.

Aah, yeah, Upstream Color was pretty great. I watched it some time ago and loved it. My brother hated it, so I knew I had to watch it... Enter the Void was pretty good too, although all I remember of it now, 5 years later, is something about drugs and blinking lights (one could say my memory of it is kind of... foggy). Might have to rewatch it.

Right now I'm going through Bergman movies; some are crap and some are... pretty damn good. One thing that surprised me is how much of a comedian he could be -- when he chose to (for example in Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf)). Another thing that was interesting to see was the use of the "manic pixie dream girl" trope (for example in Sommarlek (Summer Interlude)), although Bergman gives her a bit more depth and darkness. Then there are films like Persona or Höstsonaten (Autumn Sonata) that hits me or haunts me in a whole other way. I hadn't watched a whole lot of Bergman before this (except his most famous works), so it's great taking the time to do so.

Hour of the Wolf made me think of Buñuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (more specifically the dinner party scenes at the castle), which apparently came later, so now I want to rewatch it to see if that's just me trying too hard or if there actually is a connection (the common theme of the upper classes treating outsiders as either servants or sources of light amusement isn't exactly unheard of, so the association my mind is making is probably just a shallow one).

Damn, lately I haven't been able to write anything without it feeling hollow when read back, so every damn post takes a while to write now.

Discreet Charm and Persona are fantastic.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hey if we're talking slow-paced artsy-fartsy violence-feasts I wanna mention (since no one in their right mind is going to) UNIVERSAL SOLIDER 4: DAY OF RECKONING.

Yes I'm serious, look!

I mean,

I'm not saying it's great or anything. But if has a cool visual style and great fisticuffs. It was certainly better than that snoozefest Only God Forgives ok? Llisten to me on this qolelis, don't listen to froghawk! HE AIMS TO STEER YOU WRONG

Having watched the first one was quite enough, although I have to agree that the trailer makes it look kind of cool, visually.

um

Still Subjective
    Loving the post-Dolph Dolph. He was great casting in Aquaman and who can forget his "Insect!" like in The Expendables.

Bring back more oldskool actors!

Eddie Murphy for next Bond villain!

Also, must watch more Bergman.

That just looks like a well done Youtube video.

Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79129134139144149154159164169174175176177178179