TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Bugs

Bugs

Is it just me, or does The Cassandra Project really remind anyone else of Bugs?

Sorta.

[quote]Originally posted by Useless:
    Is it just me, or does The Cassandra Project really remind anyone else of Bugs?

Sorta.

The TV show?

Our characters are better than the Bugs ones (Thick but acrobatic bloke who always escapes from unlikely techno-peril in the last 15 minutes - Out of touch older guy, who does nothing but have the plot explained to him and hit someone in the last 5 minutes - Genius woman who does all the work, and explains the plot to the old guy and the viewers.*

I seriously hope we don't fall as far into the "daft plot pit" as they did. Seem to remember one episode hanging around a nuclear powered military van that moved as fast as a milk-float. And people apparently wanted to steal this misbegotten horror. Also, they had a lot of missions where they had to defeat security systems designed by people who were electronics geniuses, but at the same time had /no common sense at all/.

I suppose there's some crossover, but its hardly an original theme, everyone from "Sneakers" to Marvel have done the same thing.

* I never saw the later series, which might have changed the characters/plot daftness. I actually quite liked the ones I saw though.

I think there's a lot of 'Bugs' in it.

Arf.

Actually, it's probably more like classic '80s cartoon "Space Sentinels". Not that it's anything like Space Sentinels but I really liked the big giant head.

The digital countdowns in Bugs always stopped at 02. Every time.

I think we should do an episode set entirely in James' office, and make it like ER.

KG

TheWatcher

[quote]Originally posted by Count Hans von Hekeldicht:
    The digital countdowns in Bugs always stopped at 02. Every time.

Makes a change from stopping at 01..

I just wish people creating these silly digital readouts would read the Evil Overlord site, specifically

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html number 15.

That'd stop a few of these pesky heros saving the day, damn them..

[quote]
    I think we should do an episode set entirely in James' office, and make it like ER.

We should do a 'live' episode. 'cept it puts a terrible strain on the animators wrists...

[quote]Originally posted by Always_Black:

We should do a 'live' episode. 'cept it puts a terrible strain on the animators wrists...

I'll have no part in this, I thank you. I wasn’t warned of /these/ activities when I signed up. Thankgod I'm not Fiveeight, anyhow.

Bugs? Eurk. Its more like Sneakers. Only with more psychos.

You young whippersnappers.

I prefer to recall "Doomwatch" or "Edge Of Darkness"

Quality entertainment.

Now. Where's me slippers...?

---

]!MB0[0P

"Clever girl."

*........even older voice.........*
    why not watch quatermass?.....
    now where's my zimmer frame......?

No.

Quatermass was excellent.

Not the really old jobbies, though. The lame '70s series with (was it?) John Mills.

The sky turns sickly green because of undetermined alien influence...and every frame has been hand coloured with a felt-tip. Class.

awww, Quatermass and the Pit was wonderful....and wouldnt it make a great fps?.....all those scenes in the claustrophobic tube station, london gone mad and the final climatic scene as the hero steers a giant crane into the alien thingummybob..........cracking stuff.
    *coughs, and goes to find his glasses, only to realise he was wearing them all the time*

awww, Quatermass and the Pit was wonderful
    I saw that. Recently. My gf's mum has the same to say about it that you do.

I guess you had to be there, right? Like Woodstock.

My God! I just remembered something...

...didn't that film have a young and nubile Thora Hird in it?

*shudder*

Confirmation, Jimbocop, please.

a young and nubile Thora Hird?.......entirely possible, it was made at the time when she was considered a sexy supporting star.......but try to think of these old films like classic games....such as Doom, groundbreaking in their time, laying the ground for later excellence and still worth a go.......*bit like me really*

Originally posted by Always_Black
    ...didn't that film have a young and nubile Thora Hird in it?

*shudder*

Confirmation, Jimbocop, please.
    Ooooooooh I fu**ing LOVED Quatermass!

But, no. Thora Hird wasn't in any of the Quatermass films or "Quatermass and the Pit". She played "Rosie" in the original 1955 TV series "The Quatermass Xperiment", starring Brian Donlevy as the Professor. But she was hardly young and nubile (she was 34).

"The Quatermass Xperiment" told the story of an early space flight that returns to earth with 2 of it's 3 man crew missing. The remaining crewman, Victor Carroon has been exposed to an alien fungus that aborbs all organic matter it's exposed to, and naturally goes on a rampage - think of "The Thing" in Westminster Abbey.

"Quatermass 2" (1957) had gaseous aliens taking over a quiet English village and then the best one "Quatermass and the Pit" with Andre Morell followed in 1959.

In it, the Prof' is called to a 'haunted' London tube station to assist an army bomb disposal team who'd unearthed an alien capsule containing the life-force of a warlike dead alien race. Hammer remade it for the cinema in 1967(?) with Andrew Keir.

Drawing heavily on HP Lovecraft, the Quatermass series were HUGELY influential themselves - No Quatermass = No Dr Who or X-Files. And the opening of Q & the Pit was referenced directly in the Beeb's recent "Invasion Earth".

After the SF boom of the late 70's they even tried to resurrect the series with Sir John Mills, but it wasn't the same...

Trivia - The tube station where the alien capsule was found in "Quatermass & the Pit" was called Hobb's End. John Carpenter (who uses the pen-name "Martin Quatermass" sometimes) called his haunted village in "In The Mouth Of Madness" - Hobb's End.

And, here's another bit of trivia for you - I've acted with Dame Thora Hird meself! When I was about 11, I was in an old Yorkshire TV comedy drama about a 1930's funeral parlour called "In Loving Memory" as an extra - "mourning child".

With that sort of premise you can see why it lasted so well...

Anyway, all the funerals were filmed in one day, outside broadcasts being expensive, so I got to mourn a whole bunch of of stiffs.

[EDIT]

One more quick point about the Quatermass TV series - even with all the special effects and (for the day) complex sets - they were all broadcast live!

As I recall, the shot of the huge, mutated Victor Caroon hanging off Westminster Abbey was achieved by dangling seaweed over a b&w photo.

Pure genius.

[/EDIT]

---

]IMB0[0P

"Anything can happen in the next half hour!"
    Last edited by JimboCop; 1st Feb 2002 at 06:39.

And, here's another bit of trivia for you - I've acted with Dame Thora Hird meself! When I was about 11, I was in an old Yorkshire TV comedy drama about a 1930's funeral parlour called "In Loving Memory" as an extra - "mourning child".
    Hell, I watched one of those on a cable Granada nostalgia channel. It was over christmas after I'd finished absorbing all organic matter in the house.

I could've been staring right at you, man.