TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Ultimate Difficulty Mod + TFix + HD Mod

Ultimate Difficulty Mod + TFix + HD Mod

Hey Gang, long time Thief fan and the creator of the Dishonored Ultimate Difficulty Mod.

I'm replaying Thief Gold with TFix, HD Mod, and Ultimate Difficulty Mod installed. I'm noticing the AI are not as jumpy as I remember with the ultimate difficulty mod (pre-HD mod).

I understand the HD mod interacts with the ultimate difficulty mod. I'd like to take a look and potentially update the ultimate difficulty mod to be fully compatible with the HD mod.

Who here can help orient me?

The dark.gam files for both the Ultimate Difficulty Mod and HD Mod are obviously different but I can't read them (difficulty mod = 1282 kb, hd mod = 1251 kb, original = 1100 kb).

Zombified
    iirc, Gecko made a hdmod compatible version of the ultimate difficulty mod, you should just use that and all should be ok.

Does HDMOD use a custom dark.gam file? I thought it was just replacement texture files. Isn’t it NewDark itself that breaks ultimate difficulty?

EDIT: I guess I'm wrong about HDMOD. I forgot it adds other mechanics. But I'm still pretty sure that ultimate difficulty is broken on NewDark, even without any texture mods. Am I totally misguided here?
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 13th Feb 2022 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    iirc, Gecko made a hdmod compatible version of the ultimate difficulty mod, you should just use that and all should be ok.
    That's great thanks, I found it here for Thief Gold, in case anyone else is looking:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-gol...mod-hd-mod-v12

Does a similar file exist for Thief 2?

Zombified
    if it does, then I bet Gecko also has it available on moddb.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    if it does, then I bet Gecko also has it available on moddb.
    I can't find it. I sent Gecko a private message. Hope he sees this!

Turns out Gecko's private messages are full. I wonder how else I can get to him?

This is what I wrote him:

Hey there,

Was hoping to pick your brain as to how to make the Thief 2 Ultimate Difficulty mod compatible with the HD Mod here:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-2-hd-texture-mod

Similar to what was done with this mod:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-gol...mod-hd-mod-v12

I've been told in a thread in the mods channel that you're the person to talk to about this.

FWIW I work in software and I made the Dishonoured Ultimate Difficulty mod so I'm happy to get my hands dirty.

I'm currently testing Thief 2 with HD Mod and the Ultimate Difficulty mod patched over top.

So far only bug I have noticed is the fireplaces don't show any fire (annoying). But the gameplay is much better wit the mod on top.

Would really love to somehow integrate these two somehow. I am happy to do the work if someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm not often on these forums -- you can contact me here:

https://github.com/josephdviviano

Zombified
    I have actually attempted this, but gave up as it was not possible to export the changes into a dml (cannot dml create a targetable receptron iirc).

basically (I assume you are trying to create a T2hdmod compatible ultimate difficulty gamesys), you need to load the vanilla T2 gamesys with the Dromed editor, then export all (F3 put in -1, click export/export all) as txt, then do the same with T2difficulty gamesys, then compare the exports using windiff, note all the changes (ideally, you should have at least basic understanding about what they do, copying everything over mechanically will not be ideal), and implement them into the hdmod gamesys.

good luck.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 19th Feb 2022 at 15:24.

Thank you!! Yes, I am "trying to create a T2hdmod compatible ultimate difficulty gamesys"... assuming gamesys is `dark.gam`. Is it?

Which file is capable of translating the gamesys from binary to text, is it dromed?

What does this sentence mean: "it was not possible to export the changes into a dml"? Will I have this same issue?

I would think the optimal solution would be to diff the gamesys of the HDMod and the Ultimate Difficulty Mod directly, and patch over anything related to the AI. Does that make sense?

Ideally, these options could be a 3rd setting under "Enhanced AI Detection" in the HD mod... we could call it "Ultimate Difficulty AI Detection" and it's just a toggle there, but I would need to first figure out what needs to go there and then collaborate with the HDMod author.

Zombified
    dmls are text files that the engine reads and applies as patches to the gamesys and/or missions. ideal for mods, as they allow modders to create mods without modifying the game files directly using the editor (there are limitations, but you can do a lot with just dmls), allowing multiple mods to be loaded at the same time (this means the end user can craft a very unique modded SS2 experience if desired, something that seems to be frowned upon in the T1/T2 world for whatever reason). dmls would be ideal for creating a standalone, universal ultimate difficulty mod (a dif if you want) that would work for T1/T2/FMs/whatever with minimal tweaks and very little maintenance.

unfortunately, going that route is not possible at the time of writing this post - dmls do have limitations, and one of them is preventing the ultimate difficulty setup from working (would have to check my notes, but iirc, if you dml create a stim, you cannot target/use that stim with act/react, and as the difficulty mod does exactly that, you are out of luck completely //ok, the exact problem is that Receptron/Target Me/Agent can only use archetype ids, not archetype names, and we only have names available when dml creating archetypes), so you will have to go with hard edits to the gamesys. this means if there is ANY update to the base (hdmod) gamesys, you will have to redo EVERYTHING again. not fun.

anyway, to make it short, just forget about dmls as they are not going to help you here. try doing what I've suggested in my previous post and see whether you can start tackling the problem. fair warning - you don't seem to have a lot of Dromed experience (yes, you will need the editor to create the exports), this is going to be an uneasy task unless you are very talented or have experience with modding other games.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 19th Feb 2022 at 17:00.

Thanks for the detailed reply, but I still am confused about how to generate an editable `dark.gam` file (I assume this is the gamesys). What can I use to manually edit the gamesys by copying the ultimate difficulty mod options over to the HDMOD gamesys? I assume there is some way to translate the binary `dark.gam` to a text editable version. Is it through DROMED?

If I can figure out what settings are required, I should be able to add it to the HDMod installer's newdark setup thing, since they use that to do "enhanced AI detection", which is kinda like a difficulty mod lite. What do you think?

I work in software so I suspect I can bumble my way through this, though I don't have a lot of time to dedicate.

Zombified
    yes, you will need Dromed to (hard edit) the gamesys, T2Fix can install it for you iirc. load any map, that will also load dark.gam, hit F3 and put -1 in, and you can edit the archetypes (save gamesys once done). again, check my first post if you want a recommendation about how to go about it, but feel free to try something else if you think it will work better for you.

note that this isn't a matter of flipping a few switches around, more like installing the switches, doing the wiring, setting up a hydroelectric generator outside, and routing the nearby water stream to power it up. while being attacked by mad squirrels.

I see. Note to self that I've played almost all of Thief 2 using the ultimate difficulty mod with HDMod installed and hte only major bug is NO FOOTSTEPS on gravel in Kidnapping which makes that level almost unplayable. However otherwise I have no had a major issue (other minor thing is missing fire animations).

Zombified
    well yes, that definitely sounds like something that would happen when you load a gamesys that is not intended for use with that particular map.

basically, if a new setup (additional effects etc) has been added to the gamesys, and map concretes have been modified to use that setup, then those effects will stop working when a different gamesys (that does not contain the new setup) is loaded.