TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 124 of 125 FirstFirst ... 24747984899499104109114119120121122123124125 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3103

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    If you install it globally alongside the standard OpenAL redistributable as is mentioned in the readme, you will have to specify "snd_oal_device OpenAL Soft" in cam_ext.cfg. You should be able to confirm whether the proper device was loaded by checking the game's generated log.

Alternatively, you could just copy the Win32 snd_oal.dll to your Thief installation folder and rename it to OpenAL32.dll, after which everything should work without further configuration provided that the "snd_oal_device" configuration variable is either commented out, as it is by default, or not specified. This will bypass the redistributable and make the OpenAL Soft implementation the default device. You could also copy OpenAL32.dll from your Thief 2 install to your Thief Gold install, which should have the same effect.
    It's working! The step that worked was putting the Win32 version of snd_oal.dll into my base /thief directory. I was using the Win64 version, which is the one I assumed you were supposed to use in a 64 bit Windows.

Now I've got surround sound in both games, thanks so much.

What's the difference between OpenAL Soft and OpenAL?

According to OpenAL Soft:
    Note that it is still expected to install the OpenAL redistributable provided
    by Creative Labs (at http://openal.org/), as that will provide the "router"
    OpenAL32.dll that applications talk to, and may provide extra drivers for the
    user's system. The DLLs provided here will simply add additional devices for
    applications to select from. If you do not wish to use the redistributable,
    then rename soft_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll (note: even the 64-bit DLL should be
    named OpenAL32.dll). Just be aware this will prevent other system-installed
    OpenAL implementations from working.

Just out of curiosity, is TFix still being worked on? As in, are there more updates for it in the works? Also, do the team maintaining this mod has any plans about going open source like many long time fan patches for older games are doing?

Zombified
    yes
    yes
    no until I'm dead or I find someone better.

Would it be posssible for next Tfix update to implement new quality of life features and improvements as optional.

For example,
    1. to decrease the blinding light effect for the player when you throw a flash bomb
    2. easier mantle on various surfaces, when you have to jump across to a window entrance

Quote Originally Posted by weylfar View Post
    1. to decrease the blinding light effect for the player when you throw a flash bomb
    I'm not knocking your playstyle or anything, but have you tried a quick aim-toss-turn-return combo? What I mean is, I look at my target, toss the flashbomb, then immediately rotate Garrett's POV about 180 opposite, wait for flash, then immediately turn back. I get very minimal blindness from the flashbombs this way. Maybe it's a workaround of sorts, but I've been doing it since 1998 and it seems to work fairly well, barring hitting an intervening obstacle, or failing at the timing.. But it's better than being blinded for several seconds.

1. easier mantle on various surfaces, when you have to jump across to a window entrance
    Easier than NewDark? I know Garrett can be a bit clumsy-fingered sometimes, and misses what seem like some obviously grabable ledges and whatnot, but we got a huge improvement back in 2014(?) that really made it kinda too easy most of the time to get to some areas...
    Last edited by Hit Deity; 21st Dec 2022 at 10:06.

Zombified
    pretty much what he says. also, the flash may be hardcoded.

I think actually, it's actually kinda doable.. But not 100% sure..

I do know there was one FM at least that had a version that was a "darkness bomb", and then someone figured out how to do in-game "cutscenes" by doing the opposite effect and causing complete dark-blindness and then putting text on the screen.

So there are some options; but no clue how to do it tho.

Another request for Tfix or as a mod. Could you globally reduce the hearing of AI so the player can easily sneak up on them?

Fireballs should be more round.

Zombified
    Dark doesn't like round.

Quote Originally Posted by weylfar View Post
    Another request for Tfix or as a mod. Could you globally reduce the hearing of AI so the player can easily sneak up on them?
    didn't I already do this for someone?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    Dark doesn't like round.

didn't I already do this for someone?
    Yes, for the vision cones. I was wondering if the sound what AI hears can be globally reduced. Than the player can easily sneak behind them.
    For modding AI vision angles you have to tweak lot of parameters.
    Something similar Dark mod has. One can tweak AI's reaction: Near deaf, forgiving, challenging and hardcore level of reaction.

Zombified
    yeah, you can do that, and if you are ok with setting just one level of hearing globally for all AIs (everyone deaf, or everyone hardcore), then the mod would have maybe 15 lines of code.

yeah, you can do that, and if you are ok with setting just one level of hearing globally for all AIs (everyone deaf, or everyone hardcore), then the mod would have maybe 15 lines of code.
    Could you make that mod to make every AI deaf if you have the time?

Zombified
    sure, copy the code to a txt file, save as gamesys.dml, put it into the usermods folder;
    Code:
    DML1

//set hearing to all creatures, allowed values are "Null", "Well Below Average", "Below Average", "Average", "Above Average", "Well Above Average"
    +ObjProp -8 "AI_Hearing" = "Null"
    //remove the prop from all concretes upon beginscript
    +ObjProp -8 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" NVRemovePropertyTrap
    	"Script 1" ""
    	"Script 2" ""
    	"Script 3" ""
    }
    +ObjProp -8 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" NVRemovePropertyTrapOn="BeginScript"; NVRemovePropertyTrapProp="AI_Hearing"; NVRemovePropertyTrapCount=1;
    }
    //preserve the Null value for Cameras no matter the global setting
    +ObjProp -3363 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" ""
    	"Don't Inherit" TRUE
    }
    //remove the prop from Trickster and AirElement
    -ObjProp -1781 "AI_Hearing"
    -ObjProp -4391 "AI_Hearing"
    note that this is a global switch, as every global switch, it's bound to break something somewhere at some point. the following archetypes have hearing already set to a value;
    Trickster (-1781): Above Average
    Cameras (-3363): Null
    AirElement (-4391): Well Above Average
    untested, not sure how Trickster and AirElementals will react, test and maybe let me know.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 23rd Dec 2022 at 19:01.

note that this is a global switch, as every global switch, it's bound to break something somewhere at some point. the following archetypes have hearing already set to a value;

untested, not sure how Trickster and AirElementals will react, test and maybe let me know.
    It works really well. Thank you. I haven't tested on AirElementals.

Zombified
    sure. also watch out, updated the code, the CannonFodder archetype actually doesn't have to be modified at all.

sure. also watch out, updated the code, the CannonFodder archetype actually doesn't have to be modified at all.
    Another tie in question. How does the AI changes where player uses moss arrows on floors? Does the player also get muted in the same way so AI can't hear him?

Zombified
    I don't think there are any shenanigans going on with the AIs, the player just produces less sound when walking on soft surfaces (such as a moss carpet deployed by a moss arrow) and that's it.

Update : I think this code doesn't work with the guards who carry a bow. Are guards with a bow different type of AI ?

I don't think there are any shenanigans going on with the AIs, the player just produces less sound when walking on soft surfaces (such as a moss carpet deployed by a moss arrow) and that's it.
    I was wondering. Is is possible to set a global state that player is always walking and running as if moss arrows are used ? That way with code you wrote ealier and "always on moss", player would be completely soundless.

IIRC, it's a stim that the texture has, and the moss arrows take precedence and change the stim to a "quiet" one.

Or, maybe a metaprop? Can't remember..

Zombified
    there is no reason why it wouldn't work on a bow guard, unless the guard has scrips set to not inherit on the concrete. which is possible, but not likely (if you tell me which guard, I may take a quick look).

though at this point, I'm almost sure it doesn't work on Trickster and AirElementals. code fixed.

there is no reason why it wouldn't work on a bow guard, unless the guard has scrips set to not inherit on the concrete. which is possible, but not likely (if you tell me which guard, I may take a quick look).
    The guard in on marble floor in Midsummer night heist. I think that on any marble floor AI can hear the player. Is it possible to overcome this?

Zombified
    isn't that a Thief2 fan mission? oh if you are throwing the gamesys.dml into a T2Fixed T2 install overwriting the file in the OSM folder you are in for more than just one broken guard.

anyway, checked all three bow guards in that level, and they are all deaf as a stump even with the current code.

anyway, checked all three bow guards in that level, and they are all deaf as a stump even with the current code.
    Then something is wrong for me. Where does gamesys.dml have to be for fan mission to work?

Page 124 of 125 FirstFirst ... 24747984899499104109114119120121122123124125 LastLast