TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: GTAIV release thread

They were all cartoonish and over-the-top. It WAS a trademark of the series. The driving mechanics worked perfectly in the last 3 games, and I can't believe it got the overhaul it did in the cars. Also, no planes? I don't get it. San Andreas got a lot of points from me for the flying and all that went with it. It was a game in itself.

Taking out the optional real estate was another huge mistake. In Vice city, it gave you optional extra safe houses/garages and chances to own and manage businesses and earn cash/perks related to the business. Not to mention some missions were tied to them.

Same w/SanAndreas, just beefed up. I spent a nice chunk of time for a few days, just exploring (once I opened up the entire state) all of the unvisited areas, no matter how remote, to find real estate.

The kicker? I didn't think they could put someone in a GTA game that calls and harasses you and be more annoying than Catalina. Wow, your cousin actually managed to make me want her to replace him.

I don't get why there's so much complaining over the driving.

It works, it feels great, and it gives an INCREDIBLE sense of immersion and speed when you're cruising around. How long does it seriously take to learn and master this new driving method?

Forgive my inattention, but how much has been done to address the initial performance issues with this release? Anything substantial, or would you guys recommend continuing to wait?

10 note
    It helps a bit, and there are more settings to play around with. In fact, my performance problems aren't half as game killing since I got this patch and overclocked my E8400 from 3Ghz to 3.74GHz. It did kill my 'skip legal and intro screens' mod though, which is a pain in the arse.

And I loved the new car handling in GTA4, but then the driving is one of the reasons that I play GTA.

Yeah, sign me up as another who really enjoyed the reworked driving feel in GTA IV, as well as the much improved shooting mechanics too. Sure the mission design wasn't as crazy fun as previous GTA's but the underlying gameplay mechanics were much more solid. That coupled with the great story and characters, I even liked Roman who I only found to be annoying in the way familiy memebers often are, led to it becoming my favourite GTA game by far.

Anyone else just love to take the taxis from time to time just to soak up that city ambience? When I had the trance station playing on a rainy night cab ride, watching the city go by, I felt like I was in a Michael Mann film.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

I'll buy it once I've finished GTA4, I gave up cuz I kept dying on the last mission.

Lost and Damned - 8/10 from Eurogamer.

Starting February 17th, 2009 worldwide at 3:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, simply go to Xbox LIVE Marketplace with your connected Xbox 360 console and purchase the Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned download for 1600 Microsoft Points ($19.99).

Note that to play Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned requires a copy of the original Grand Theft Auto IV release for Xbox 360 - but you can play it even if you haven't finished Niko's story.

If you haven't registered an Xbox LIVE account, you can do so online here.

If you need a copy of the original Xbox 360 release of Grand Theft Auto IV, you can browse online retail options here.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Apparently it's about 10 hours long, so definitely no horse armour.

Permanently Enlarged
    Yeah, my brother got it yesterday, and I finished it a few hours ago. It is surprisingly short, but fairly good and has some good "heh, I remember that!" moments for those who actually *played* the original story. However, the new weapons are quite a bit of fun, the sawed-off has a hellacious spread, so its good for some serious crowd clearing; at least until you get enough cash to toy around with the automatic, drum-magazined shotgun. That and the grenade launcher are very, very fun and really help with powering through crowds.

intentionally buying used.

Can I intentionally purchas a used copy of this game and get them to grace me with the ability to play it? This game really looks awesome (using pixel shaders and what not). I just don't want to fund the capitalistic malware innitiative that is Securom. I will buy a used copy just to avoid funding them and to contribute to their demise. Should I e-mail R* and explain to them that I won't pay *them* or Securom for a Securom infection?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Actually GTA4 has a 2nd DRM implementation - Games for Windows Live. GfWL CD keys have activation limitations too. You're at the mercy of Microsoft's Tech Support, hopefully it's as simple as activating Windows or Office.

I'm not sure if they'd let you associate the same key with multiple gamertags, you might want to research that. Give GTA4, Dawn of War 2 and Fallout 3 forums a search.

Off topic slightly, but has anyone picked up Chinatown Wars on the ds?
    I grabbed it yesterday and its a far more enjoyable experiene than I ever had with GTA4 - albeit the brief time I played it.

Nice to see the top-down is back in force too.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    Should I e-mail R* and explain to them that I won't pay *them* or Securom for a Securom infection?
    Absolutely. The fact is that Rockstar just don't know that people hate Securom because no one's ever mentioned it to them. Your e-mail might help them realize it and change their perspective on their DRM methods entirely and definitively.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
    GfWL CD keys have activation limitations too.
    Rockstar claim that only digitally distributed copies could be subject to activation limits, and that the PC retail version has no such issues. I don't know how GfWL works, but if it's anything like Fallout 3, where it just sits there, how would it interfere with using a second hand copy?
    Last edited by Ostriig; 21st Mar 2009 at 09:57. Reason: Link.

10 note
    Concerning all the games for windows and rockstar social club bollocks, check out xliveless. It's just a .dll that you put in your gta directory but it let's you play without xbox live or rockstar social club running. All I need now is a mod to disable the unskippable legal and logo screens you get when the game starts that works with version 1.2.

Can't they be removed from their paths? When I have enough of some dev's unwarranted self-importance I just track down the movie files and prefix them with something.

10 note
    That'll conveniently crash the game. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before though, because now this mod to remove them is working for me

Clearinghouse
    A new patch.
    http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch
    Version 1.0.0.4 November 10, 2009

GENERAL:

- Convert all region SKU's into the same SKU.
    - Include support for all languages within single exe.

CONTROLS:

- Allow controls to be double mapped on keyboard.
    - Added option in controls menu to disable mouse controls in helicopters.
    - Adjust keyboard control sensitivity in hood cam view in vehicles.

MULTIPLAYER:

- Security Updates to deter cheating in multiplayer.
    - Hosts can now immediately Kick users from their games in Lobby and in game via Cell phone without having to rely on peer voting.
    - Fixed a bug in Cops 'n Crooks mode where Host would drop out and prevent remaining players from leaving game.

Shacknews reported that this patch include Lost and Damned achievements list in Windows LIVE! Does this imply that the DLC will be available for PC?

I think that's definitely the implication, although it's by no means certain. Personally I'm more interested in The Ballad of Gay Tony than in The Lost and Damned, so I'm sort of hoping for the full pack.

Clearinghouse

PC Gamering Smartey Man

They're finally officially removing GFWL from GTA 4 and its (far superior to base game) expansions.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/t...other-changes/
    That's shit. They forcing all users to use this new half-arsed version with removed MP, achievements and radio stations. They might not be handing out keys for GFWL any more but it still works. You can connect to servers perfectly fine.

Really half-arsed solution. Other developers like 2K ported over all functionality like Bioshock 2's MP to Steamworks when they stripped out GFWL.

The upside to this is at least if owned only GTA 4 vanilla or Episodes from Liberty City, you'll be getting the content that you were missing for free.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112