TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sean Connery has passed

Normie is not a stereotype, it's a pejorative word for any normal person who is able to function in society. And the video is about how these alt-right spaces radicalise (or redpill, if you use their lingo) the people who they think of as "normies". It's not about labeling people into normies and not normies. In other words, when he is making up Gabe, he's making up a person alt-right spaces might consider to be a "normie".
    Last edited by Starker; 7th Nov 2020 at 00:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    ...it's a pejorative word for any normal person who is able to function in society.
    It sounds funny when you put it that way.

It makes sense in the context of 4chan culture. It's not like by "normie" they are necessarily calling someone a square or something like that (well, sometimes they are). It's kind of, but not entirely, the Western equivalent to riajuu: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=riajuu

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I'm not going to discuss with you on that fringe lunacy level. You think that "normie" is not a harmful stereotype because 4chan uses it. What else is there to say?

EDIT: In my experience no one is normal. And judging people as "normies" denies their individuality and personal history which they have like everyone else.
    It betrays a mind that separates people along the old lines of race sex and gender.
    If you were serious about wanting to do away with these barriers, you would never use such a term. But gloom is a hypocrite and you're a follower.
    My god, Kolya, simmer down. Go buy a Switch and play Animal Crossing or something.

Still Subjective
    I second that advice.

Kolya you're overreacting more than june gloom does and over almost less.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    In other words, when he is making up Gabe, he's making up a person alt-right spaces might consider to be a "normie".
    I really don't think he's taking an alt-right perspective there or using it in air-quotes or whatever. "Gabe is for all intents and purposes a normie" is played completely straight. There's no hint of devil's advocacy, irony or anything.

And thanks for worrying about me, but I'm neither upset nor do I feel personally offended by some shitty advice video on the internet. It just seemed obviously hypocritical to categorize people as "normies" while constantly railing against norms like gloomy does.

And it wasn't just this one term, but the stereotype build up at the start of the video. "Gabe" is not even a person. He has no history, no motivation. He's merely how people who believe themselves in a battle against the forces of evil, would see anyone who doesn't get in line behind their cause.

I'm not surprised that my politics seem incoherent to you, gloom. I have a moral compass, where you only have an ideology. And that compass is telling me that you won't win against stereotypes and the norms of society by making up other stereotypes and norms that suit yourself.

Dude, the whole video is about "how to radicalise a normie" -- from the alt-right perspective. Normie is 4chan speak for regular people, which he is referencing in his video about places like 4chan. He is not categorising anyone, he is talking about how alt-right spaces radicalize people who haven't yet been redpilled -- i.e. normies in their parlance. And of course Gabe is not a person. He is just a hypothetical example, for the sake of the argument, of one such normie to be redpilled. And the opening is very clearly snarky and tongue in cheek in tone, which you completely seem to miss somehow. Honestly, I can't even begin to understand where you are getting all this "OMG a stereotype, how dare he!" from.

As for harmful stereotypes -- if someone were to say that you are a normie because you might have a girlfriend, are able to make friends, or don't believe that Jews control everything, how exactly will that hurt you? Will it lower your self-esteem somehow or make you depressed or something? It's part of 4chan's sick self-deprecating humour about who they consider to be outsiders, usually paired with references to their own perceived "autism" and status as social outcasts, etc.
    Last edited by Starker; 7th Nov 2020 at 08:47.

LittleFlower
    In defense of Kolya. I watched that video (when the link was posted). After 1 minute, I thought: "who is this guy, what does he want to say, what does he want to achieve?". I decided I was not interested, and closed the video. Simple. There was something really unpleasant in that first minute. Just like in the street, or in a bar, when someone comes up and starts to talk to me, I give them between 10 and 60 seconds. And if I'm not interested, or slightly annoyed, then "bye, bye". A 41-minute video that starts by irritating me ? Bye, bye.

I'm not native in English. So maybe it is that. But I also don't like being called a normie (I had never heard that word before). Just like I dislike being called a "techie" or a "nerd". I don't use those kinds of words myself. Not even in my head. I don't see people's first quality as someone who belongs to a certain group. I don't like to be put in a group myself, so I (try to) not do that to others.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 7th Nov 2020 at 10:11.

Still Subjective
    Nah, I didn't like tone of it either. I didn't watch it all the way through because it was irritating. I get the point but I don't know how much if it is armchair musing and how much is evidenced.

But getting put out by the term normie is next level snowflakery.

I feel like you're all comically missing the point there (and the usual two just arguing with each other for the sake of it.)

Starker's right - he's specifically using that term because the video is about how the alt-right radicalise people that they consider "normies" in their parlance. It's called "How to radicalise a normie", not "How the alt-right can radicalise your otherwise apolitical friends", because the title is from the perspective of the people doing the radicalisation.

Regardless, it seems really bizarre that this is the outcome you take from a very interesting (and clearly well-researched) series about how the alt-right operates.
    While I feel that the radicalisation one is something that every moderator should watch, the rest of the series is also good. I found the episode on the origins of modern conservatism especially interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Regardless, it seems really bizarre that this is the outcome you take from a very interesting (and clearly well-researched) series about how the alt-right operates.
    It's what I took from the short part I watched before closing it. As I said "Gabe" isn't a person, he's not even an example of anyone. People have motivations and experiences that drive their decisions. And if your clever theory how the alt-right snatches the dawdling minds of the sheeple cannot even allow for that, then it's clear to me that you don't have an interest in solving the actual question but would rather service your own bias.

Sean Connery must be rolling in his grave

Kolya, what is it you're even saying? The video does generalise - you can't make an argument without some degree of generalisation - but in practical terms, what does your talk about people having motivations and experiences that drive their decisions mean? I mean, obviously people don't all work exactly the same, but there are still common mechanisms. What is it the video essay is doing wrong? And how could it, or any argument, account for the infinite differences, little or large, between one person and another?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I'm not native in English. So maybe it is that. But I also don't like being called a normie (I had never heard that word before). Just like I dislike being called a "techie" or a "nerd". I don't use those kinds of words myself. Not even in my head. I don't see people's first quality as someone who belongs to a certain group. I don't like to be put in a group myself, so I (try to) not do that to others.
    If it comforts you, normie is one of the least worst names you might be called on 4chan. Kind of like someone calling you "undamaged". But congrats on managing to not hear the term before. Shows you haven't fallen down the rabbit hole.

To me, that video comes off kind of like some dude on the internet mansplaining how women react to postpartum depression.

While it may explain one path from moderate views to more extreme views, it's a caricature of a movement from an outsider and doesn't explore its root causes and long term remedies.

If one thing is clear, it's that he is no outsider. As someone who has visited 4chan (and worse) for quite a while, he has clearly done his research and knows these alt right spaces inside and out. The analogy would be closer to a psychology student "mansplaining" postpartum depression to a general audience.

As for the video offering no long term solutions to massive systemic issues or not delving deep into root causes, yes, that is a fair criticism. It is indeed outside the scope of the video. But then again, I have no idea what a long term remedy might even look like. For short term, he does offer some ideas how people might find their way out, though.

I'm curious though, what did you think about his position that this might not be a fight worth fighting and it might instead be a better to spend time and effort on fixing societal problems like income inequality?

As I said "Gabe" isn't a person, he's not even an example of anyone. People have motivations and experiences that drive their decisions.
    What are you even talking about? He mentions some of Gabe's motivations - he's motivated by interest in his hobbies, in finding a group of people he has things in common with (generally those hobbies), fitting in, making friends. Those are some of the main motivations that most people have. The video mostly talks about his motivations online, since things like e.g. his job or non-online relationships aren't really what the video is about, so he only mentions those in passing.

How is someone supposed to make a video about how a cult draws people into it, without making some generalisations based on the kinds of people that the cult targets?
    You can argue that people are all individuals - of course they are - but they still tend to have a lot of things in common. Humans love to classify people into groups - including the people themselves classifying themselves into groups that they associate with. Are you saying that we shouldn't do this at all? I'm not allowed to say I'm a nerd, for example, because people are all individually and cannot / should not be classified?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    You're an advocate of domestic violence.

This is one of the criteria for being justifiably labelled a terrible person. Just awful.

You're an idiot to boot, because you didn't immediately realise that this is the reason I called you that. Dolt.

Re: normie. Imagine being so fragile you get upset being labelled with this, the most innocuous of insults.
    I'm not an advocate for domestic violence, dumbass, though I do think it would be alright for someone to give an idiot like you a good beating. That's an exception rather than the rule, though.

Taking the Death Toll
    I'm not surprised that my politics seem incoherent to you, gloom. I have a moral compass, where you only have an ideology. And that compass is telling me that you won't win against stereotypes and the norms of society by making up other stereotypes and norms that suit yourself.
    ahahahaha your moral compass tells you to throw tantrums because you can't call trans women slurs? some moral compass you got, you weenie

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    I'm not an advocate for domestic violence, dumbass, though I do think it would be alright for someone to give an idiot like you a good beating. That's an exception rather than the rule, though.
    You previous posts say otherwise.

someone saying they have a moral compass is the equivalent of a racist saying "I'm not racist, I have (insert racial) friends!"
    Who the fuck says moral compass, really.

Yeeeah, if there's an exception any time somebody disagrees with you, that's not a rule at all.

All I remember is that time GBM got his moral compass from a cereal box.
    How I miss that era of posts.

Still Subjective
    I'm not an advocate for domestic violence, dumbass,
    Of course not.

When a woman is being an absolutely unreasonably cunt, giving her a little slap is indeed the way to handle it properly. Nowadays in the west, it wouldn't work too well as the power levels have been completely skewed in the woman's favor, but out of pure morality and understanding of the said behavior, you're still the winner.
    Noooo.

I don't really know what to say. I feel bad for you that you're this thick, but the you're also this dreadful. You're an awful person.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456