TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: A question for muslims

SShock2.com

A question for muslims

I clearly do not know enough about the Muslim faith, so I have a fairly basic, simple question. This is all meant in honest, good spirit, I'm just trying to learn. Thank you for any help.

Is there something in the faith that promotes forgiveness, kindness, acceptance, or otherwise bridge disagreements?
    Is there usable phrase I can borrow?

I'm asking in the hope to help understand, and possibly defuse, an unpleasant local situation. My interest is only peace and common understanding. I don't know who started it, but I suspect the local old racist white guy, escalating something with the Pakistani in the next building. Now I vaguely know the dad, Nittin, since his daughter is in the same year as my grand daughter. The white guy, I don't know at all, he never shows up to our house meetings. But growing up protestant, I can probably think up some old Jesus crap to soften him up a bit. I just want to resolve a situation that started years before I was aware.

Any ideas?

Interesting, I was binge watching Mel videos today, and I was just thinking she has to be one of the best ambassadors for Islam.
    Well, if the guy is a metal head, this would soften him up or he doesn't have a beating human heart. (Although my favorite of her's is the "Soothsayer" cover. I'll admit I got a bit teary-eyed. It's an emotional song.)

I mean her Death Metal shirt is pink with a rainbow and she's cute as a button while shredding monster power chords and lightning runs. And you can watch some of her vlogs. To me everything about her communicates kindness, compassion, forgiveness, everything you're talking about. Nayzak's art is another good model like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't think this is the best place for your question, but a google search for me came up with this that looks helpful for you, since it's quoting sunnah (sayings & teachings of the prophet) for the things you are mentioning in the context of building positive relationships with others.

https://productivemuslim.com/buildin...relationships/

Edit: Or if I could give any advice, do a search with "sunnah" and any of the terms you mentioned. If we have any Muslims that visit this side of the forum, I'm sure they'll have even better advice.
    Last edited by demagogue; 16th Nov 2020 at 08:19.

Still Subjective
    Okay, that video is amazing.

Yeah that looks like a fun video, I'll watch it later.

Gray: if that old guy is sensitive to it, here's some 'Jesus crap' (or rather, Apostle Paul crap ) you could use:

Philippians 4: 5
    Let your gentleness show in your treatment of all people. The Lord is near.

Romans 12: 17-18
    Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

You can probably think of other verses given your Protestant upbringings. Good luck!

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Philippians 4: 5
    Let your gentleness show in your treatment of all people. The Lord is near.
    Awesome.
    I got another wisdom from the bible (2 Kings 2:23-25).

"23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria."

Romans 12: 17-18
    Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
    Deuteronomy 19:21
    "21 You should not feel sorry: a Life will be for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."

A question for muslims

Yeah I'm not taking the bait, this thread is about helping out Gray, not discussing religion.

LittleFlower
    I didn't want to start a fight. I just wanted to point out that you can support any statement you can come up with, with quotes from the bible.

I don't agree with any religion. But the core point of Christianity is (my summary): "Don't be a dick". I can agree with that. Unfortunately this point seems kinda forgotten these days. If you want to translate "Don't be a dick" in more pious words, it could also be expressed as: "Love thy neighbour". The situation Gray is talking about is all about neighbours, isn't it?

On the other hand, isn't Gray asking about quotes from the Quran?

I know and I agree, you can support many positions by quoting individual Bible verses. No disagreement there.

Yeah, he was asking for Quran verses, and I know the Quran also has verses about living peacefully with your fellow (wo)man. I can't quote them by heart but they exist. But he also said he would find some 'Jesus crap' to soften his neighbor, and I just though I'd help him out by providing two verses that could be used for that (but I know he could've found those verses himself too). I wasn't trying to proselytize or anything. Just if his neighbor is sensitive to Bible verses, here are two verses Gray could possibly use. That's all I was trying to do, from a pragmatic standpoint anything to help solve the disagreement peacefully is good.

Al - Snip. Don't do that again.
    Last edited by Al_B; 17th Nov 2020 at 08:54. Reason: Removed post

Well that was predictable. Or did anyone think that this thread would not turn into barely veiled hatred for Muslims and instead actual Muslims would turn up to quote sura of forgiveness and acceptance, helping Gray to defuse his local culture clash?
    Anyone except Gray?

Why do you want to quote Quran verses to a Muslim anyway? What good could come from that? The values you mentioned are universal and I'm sure you can explain what you mean in a better way that is authentic and coming from you.
    Last edited by Kolya; 17th Nov 2020 at 08:28.

Administrator
    Looks like Gray has some pointers for information elsewhere. I appreciate this was a well intentioned post but this will not end well - closing.