TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 510152025303540454647484950
Results 1,226 to 1,233 of 1233

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Page 50 of the VR thread! And some people said it was just a fad! A FAD! HAH!

To commemorate the occasion, here's a pretty good VR bundle on Humble.

Pay €0.85+:
    A-Tech Cybernetic VR
    Archangel Hellfire - Fully Loaded
    Killing Floor: Incursion

Pay €8.52+:
    Raw Data

BTA:
    I Expect You To Die
    Creed: Rise to Glory™

Pay €14.49+:
    The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
    Zero Caliber VR

I Expect You To Die is great fun, a delightful, witty James Bond-like escape room game. Anyone who's got VR and who hasn't played it should check it out, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the link, henke. There are some good games in there that I want to check out, but the bundle is worth it alone for Saints and Sinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Finally fired up the Quest 2 last night, I like it so far. I've heard complaints about the standard strap, but in my first 2 hours of playing with it last night, I didn't experience any discomfort.

One thing I did notice though was a slight bit of blurriness around the edges of the lenses, right on the periphery of your vision. Is that a common thing? I don't get that with PSVR, but it's much lower res so maybe not as noticeable. I tried all 3 lens positions and nothing really changed. It's not that bad, subtle for the most part, but I did notice it several times while playing.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how to state this, but gamespace in the Quest seems somewhat smaller in scale in comparison to the PSVR. For example, when playing the Persistence on PSVR, walking through the ship really felt actual size, like I was right there. But after firing up Vader Immortal last night on the Quest, walking through rooms seems smaller and more compact. I guess I'll need to try out a few more games to get a better feel for it.
    Do you know what your IPD is? (distance between your pupils) The ruler method here is pretty straightforward https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your...llary-Distance

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, the HP Reverb G2 is coming out this month and impressions videos have started popping up.

I've been eyeing this one, but I'm not so sure any more. The controllers on my Quest do occasionally loose tracking when things get hectic in Beat Saber, so hearing that the G2's tracking isn't quite as good as the Quest certainly gives me pause. Also the narrow FOV, eehhhhhh. It's got high resolution but I dunno if that's super-important to me. Seeing that the Valve Index queues have been shortened enough now that you can have one in 2 weeks from ordering kinda makes me wanna get the Index instead.

Tho I could also use a graphics card update, my GTX 1070 is starting to show its age. Folks who keep up with graphics cards: should I hold out for a RTX 3070/80 or get something more attainable? I'll probably be gaming mostly in 1440p.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Well, the HP Reverb G2 is coming out this month and impressions videos have started popping up.

I've been eyeing this one, but I'm not so sure any more. The controllers on my Quest do occasionally loose tracking when things get hectic in Beat Saber, so hearing that the G2's tracking isn't quite as good as the Quest certainly gives me pause. Also the narrow FOV, eehhhhhh. It's got high resolution but I dunno if that's super-important to me. Seeing that the Valve Index queues have been shortened enough now that you can have one in 2 weeks from ordering kinda makes me wanna get the Index instead.

Tho I could also use a graphics card update, my GTX 1070 is starting to show its age. Folks who keep up with graphics cards: should I hold out for a RTX 3070/80 or get something more attainable? I'll probably be gaming mostly in 1440p.
    I ended up getting one and can't really recommend it unless:

(1) You're insensitive to geometric stability and edge to edge clarity. The Quest 2 isn't perfect here either but the G2 is worse. I would have preferred if they continued using the Index's dual element lenses but that would've been much more expensive.
    (2) You're not very concerned about robust motion controller tracking. It's about what I expected--"good enough" but certainly not great. The main differences between this and Quest 2 are: (a) With the Quest 2, I lost tracking a few cms from the headset meaning I had to be a little careful with aiming firearms, but with this you actually have to keep your hands extended out a few more cms and (b) the Quest 2 has a wider tracking FOV and does better prediction even when you're outside of the FOV of the cameras. On the G2, you kind of have to hold the controllers a bit in front of you because otherwise they "lock up" instead of just estimating based on the IMUs. It may not seem substantial but it means you have to be more conscious of what you're doing in VR, which adds frustration and breaks immersion.

But the pixel density in the center of the display is absolutely incredible, as are the colors (for LCD). Once all headsets reach this density I doubt I'll care very much about pixel density improvements--other things matter much more. FOV is about the same as Quest 2. But as far as immersion and comfort go, I find it doesn't really compare to the Index. And yes, it would absolutely destroy your 1070 at any appreciable resolution (except in potato games). They must have changed things up from the prototype models because unlike the G1 the G2 requires the typical 40% oversampling of each dimension of the display as part of distortion correction (as with Index, Quest, Rift, Vive, etc etc), so the render resolution is actually ~3kx3k per eye (not 2160x2160).

As for what to get, might be worth waiting a little longer to see what this is about https://twitter.com/benz145/status/1328836977710440448

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the impressions, woah.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    If it has to be Nvidia, get the 3080 when it's available at normal prices again. Price to performance, you're likely to get more out of it for longer, especially since the tech race is heating up now that AMD is back in the game.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 510152025303540454647484950