TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 213 of 214 FirstFirst ... 113163168173178183188193198203208209210211212213214 LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 5330

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Last films I've watched are And Then We Danced and Nelyubov. Both absolutely worth watching (suffice it to say).

I'm enjoying The Haunting Of Bly Manor. It works for me when I stop expecting to jump in my seat and enjoy it more as a drama with supernatural elements. It's very atmospheric, I enjoy the house as a location as well as the British accents and customs, and the show succeeds very well in making me care about the characters. 3 episodes left to go.

The previous show I watched was HBO/BBC's I May Destroy You, which I also really liked. It's written by the lead actress and supposed to be partly autobiographical. It depicts a lifestyle very different from mine but what the characters are going through is still very relatable. I recommend it for when, like me, you want to become more sensitive to issues concerning sexual violence against women and the problems people of color have to deal with in modern society. It's very well written and acted, I was engaged the whole way.

Queens Gambit really is good. The games were tense. Her life was always teetering on disaster. You didn't know how it would end. It was seriously well acted by all involved too. I liked it immensely. When I first sat down to watch I figured I would likely fall asleep during the first episode but it had me hooked right away and I blew through eight episodes before I knew it. I had sat up until two and had to go to work the next day. It was like reading a good book you just can't put down.

Still Subjective
    Discovery - which is really good at the moment. The last episode wasn't quite as good as the rest of the season (it had a great first 2 episodes). It was also an extremely woke episode, but that's not why it wasn't as good - it just dragged on a bit. It did make me think though - in TNG when Beverley is in love with the Trill dude then the symbiant moves to a woman it was all a bit oooh-err missus, and actually I'd expect that by then all this stuff would be completely done with.

Mandalorian - another less good episode, especially compared to the last (which was ace), but still great stuff.

Tonight watched "Sinister". I really should have watched this one back on Halloween rather than "The Strangers". Far far far superior. Great movie, that you have no idea where it's going. The found footage bits set a dread about it all. Really enjoyed it. If your looking for a good new-ish (2012) horror film, then I'd highly recommend it. Will have to watch the sequel at some point.

I was a huge fan of Star Trek Discovery's first season. It had action, it had a fight for justice by an underdog (who happened to be black) and it had interesting sci-fi concepts. In the second season the showrunner got fired and it all went mushy and woke. Just like in Dirk Gently's second season a gay relationship was put center stage in a series which had previously featured them as normal and not much to talk about. Actors started crying with joy in close-ups because how moving it all was and the good people prevailed of course. A reviewer described it as heavy handed politics. There was absolutely nothing I disagreed with, it was just very in-your-face and made the show lame. Like a bunch of rainbow-flag waving liberals wanted to scream it at the evil people out there: "Hey! We got Star Trek! Look! We got men kissing! Passionately!" Meanwhile I nearly dozed off. There were other aspects that sucked, like Michael's boring boyfriend, and things that didn't make much sense, like the way the female albino's taking power of the Klingons in the end. And Tilly is just the personification of everything mushy and feely in STD. I even kinda like her, but sometimes I can't help thinking that the whole show is secretly her Star Trek fanfic. That being said, Sonequa Martin-Green is an awesome actress and never let it slip once. Season 3 starts off interesting enough and finally gets some much needed character development. Michael is even more badass now. Cool, cool, cool, cool. But I'm only in ep. 3 and it still could go anywhere.

Still Subjective
    Yeah, Michaels bf was dull af. And the whole Klingon thing was lame af too.

But this season seems much better and I'm reminded of The Forever War with the "wokeness", though in TFW it's done much more hamfistedly. I think it makes sense that this stuff would all be chill by then so in a way it's more realistic and less just about being woke.

More Michael's.

Level 10,000 achieved

we finally got Disney+ over here!

The Mandalorian's first season - This waaas.... kinda underwhelming. The way everyone's been raving about this I was expecting something on the level of Game of Thrones, but it's really just... pretty good. It's enjoyable enough and moves along at a good pace, but I was never especially invested in Mando's journey. The last 2 episodes pick up a bit tho. My fave scene was the opening of the finale, with the 2 scout troopers chatting and reinforcing stereotypes about stormtrooper's shoot abilities. That episode was directed by Taika Waititi, and it makes me excited to hear he's directing an upcoming Star Wars movie.

Hamilton - One of the reasons Hamilton is my favourite musical-album is that they keep the storytelling contained within the songs, instead of forwarding the narrative in dialogue between the songs like lots of musicals do, so you can really just listen to the album and get the full story. Still, watching this recording of the stageshow, I was expecting find some story bits and wrinkles that might've been omitted from the album, so I was surprised that there really is none. I don't think there is a word spoken that's not set to music. In fact the only thing in the show that's not on the album is a song where Hamilton finds out John Laurens has died towards the end of act 1. Anyway, it was interesting seeing how they've staged all the numbers. I gained a whole new appreciation for Phillipa Soo as Eliza, amazing performance. I was seriously choked up by the end of act 2. Folks, watch this. Hamilton has been described by some as the greatest work of art of the 21st century, aaaaand, yeah, I might just agree with that. It's funny, captivating, and very moving. If you're the kinda person who likes storytelling in the form of song, listen to the album instead, where the performances are a bit tighter and the delivery clearer, but if you need visuals, this movie'll do.

Toy Story 3 (rewatch) / Toy Story 4 - Part 4 is perfectly serviceable really, but definitely a step down from Toy Story 3, which remains the series highpoint. That furnace scene, holy shit.

Frozen (rewatch) / Frozen 2 - The first movie is kinda uneven, but has some great musical numbers, and Josh Gad is great as Olaf. The sequel I'd say is a bit tighter from a storytelling perspective, but the songs are only so-so.

This number's great tho, and features Aurora as the literal call to adventure!

Yeah that's right, AURORA! Y'know, from the Mass Effect Andromeda end credits song!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The Mandalorian's first season - This waaas.... kinda underwhelming. The way everyone's been raving about this I was expecting something on the level of Game of Thrones, but it's really just... pretty good. It's enjoyable enough and moves along at a good pace, but I was never especially invested in Mando's journey. The last 2 episodes pick up a bit tho. My fave scene was the opening of the finale, with the 2 scout troopers chatting and reinforcing stereotypes about stormtrooper's shoot abilities. That episode was directed by Taika Waititi, and it makes me excited to hear he's directing an upcoming Star Wars movie.
    In my opinion, The Mandalorian is guilty pleasure space adventure trash that barely rises above the level of Xena Warrior Princess, yet is the only Star Wars work since the OT that feels timeless and transcends fandom. For that, I see it as truly Star Wars. I'm waiting for the entire season to be out to watch S2.

Still Subjective
    The Mandalorian is so good because, not in spite, of it being extremely pared down. It's a bit Lone Wolf and Cub, isn't it? More like a Western based on a Kurosawa original than the usual sci fi.

I think it's the best thing to come out of Star Wars since the original films.

Agreed. Also because its use of Muppets.

The Right Stuff, episode six

How is it possible to take this kind of source material and end up with something so dull. It's shiny and vapid and uninspired and for crying out loud, the show's logo is just ugly and IT BOTHERS ME. Every characters, everything else for that matter, feels like cardboard. No depth. No tension. Nothing.

Ugh.

The Mandalorian

Slightly down from last season but still good stuff. Those freaky ice spider things can fuck right off though, who the hell imagines stuff like that. And I'm not even arachnophobic.

A bit disappointed by the canyon chase. Firefly is the only show I can think off that portrayed one accurately (As in, with these ships, you don't NEED to chase, just climb above and follow visually while they tire themselves trying crazy stunts).

Still Subjective
    Richard Jewel.

Jesus Christ. Great film. What aresholes.

I watched Enola Holmes. It's family friendly entertainment with Stranger Things Millie Bobby Brown playing a younger sister of Sherlock Holmes as an amiable Duracell bunny with feminist fourth wall addresses á la Fleabag (same director: Harry Bradbeer).
    While this may look look like a period piece at first glance, the film is more interested in telling a quick paced coming-of-age story. No one bats an eye at Enola's frequent visits by gentlemen and she loses her precious clothes without a care, mainly so we get to see her in different clothes. The mystery solving is largely relegated to obvious clues (like a sawed off branch that is shown multiple times in close-up so everyone gets it wasn't an accident) and some simple code deciphering. And yet it all comes together as a delightful romp, mainly due to Brown's effervescent temperament getting full display here and not least due to Henry Cavill's and Helena Bonham Carter's excellent supporting characters.

I enjoyed it and agree it is very much carried by Brown. However the ultimate villain seems shoehorned into the role and unbelievable. And I wish it had focused more on a young woman proving she was more clever than those who assumed she wasn't. I wish she had hidden her intelligence as part of her arsenal of detection rather than brandishing it openly. Still liked it though.

First episode of season 3 of Star Trek Discovery - Meh. Found it pretty average. Hope things improve. Only good bits were with the scattered remnants of the Federation. Rest felt like something out of a random new sci-fi set in the future.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just came back from seeing Tove.

Y'know there's only about ~280 000 of us Swedish-speaking Finns, so when someone makes a biopic about our greatest creative genius, Tove Jansson, it's pretty much a civic duty to go see the thing. Well wouldn't ya know it, it's pretty damn good. Great performances, especially by lead actress Alma Pöysti. The story devotes more time to the turmoil and drama of her lovelife than to the creative side, but man, it's some good drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I watched the first season of Fleabag. While Phoebe Waller-Bridge is probably a likable enough girl and certainly smart, her character is an asshole, grieving or not, which made it hard for me to connect. I certainly don't see how she deserved the praise she got for creating a strong non-conforming female. Because female or not, she's an asshole.
    The second (and in all likelihood last) season of Fleabag was a lot better in my opinion because it kept her biting wit but also allowed the character to develop more. Her background is made clearer and she's more vulnerable and relatable in her mistakes.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Just came back from seeing Tove.
    I've only seen a small amount of the Moomins but it was weird. as. f£$*. I loved it. They had to trek somewhere because a comet was going to crash and it was ominous and scary and just wt actual f for something for kids. Never knew the creator was a Finn.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Time for me to enter the great ’Was The Devil All The Time Good Or Bad?’ debate of page 211.

It was pretty good.

SShock2.com

I was getting increasingly annoyed with all the promos for The Boys, thinking it has to be shit with all that advertising, but I eventually gave up and gave it a go. I found it surprisingly good, and watched both seasons in about 3 days. And then even the after-shows where they discuss what just happened. One thing that still annoys me however is how nobody ever mentioned Watchmen.

Oh yeah, I also watched Watchmen a couple of months earlier, which made me re-watch the movie again for the umpteenth time. If my book was in this country, I'd re-read that too. Quite pleased with how in some ways the TV series was closer to the book than the movie was. As far as spin-offs go, it could have gone so wrong in so many ways, but to me it didn't, it added new interesting stuff.

Sean Carroll's Biggest Ideas of the Universe vlog series is I think the best thing I've ever watched to really understand reality and all of that, I mean in relative terms, better than anything else I could have watched in the same time-frame, but not like learning the actual complicated math of it yet, which is crazy hard.

It's interesting, as it went on, I started forming my own interpretation of quantum mechanics and everything, and it kept getting solidified over time. At this moment, I'm pretty sure we never actually left the singularity before the Big Bang. We're still all pretty much hanging out there in the singularity, every particle in the universe is a vibrating string, and they're all sitting on top of each other in one place. It's the only way I can really grok the otherwise non-locality of QM, where two entangled particles can be light years apart and still "influence" each other.

If you want a mental image, well, let me back up because I skipped a few steps and jumped straight to the punchline. What you start with is, instead of spreading the particle out in a "superposition" smeared through space, the normal image you get in QM tutorials and interpretations, in my version you have the actual particle, it's just the one string, but (what we call) space is "smushed" into it, so it only looks to us, living in the fabric of it, like it's smeared out in space. It's basically the same thing (smearing particle out & smushing space in = the same thing) just flipping the perspective of the "particle" and "wave".

It's like if you had a ring on a sheet, then grabbed the sheet through the center and pulled it through. The ring is always in one place, but for people living "in the sheet" it looks like the ring is in a superposition in a growing wave rippling out. Then when you make a measurement, the ring is cut and whips around to one point to start growing out again, what we call a collapse of the wave function at one point in the fabric. That said, I like to actually call it a sinkhole because it's a handier expression.

But that image is really more of a gateway drug to where I think that's going, which is that what we think is space is really more like priority rules. Particles that take less time & energy to interact with each other (less "action") we call "close" to each other, and if they take more time and energy they're "far" apart. (Cf. the principle of least action is the straightest line in spacetime between two particles.) I mean they're all on top of each other, but only interacting with each other based on that priority rule. It just turns out, the rule is going to look like that sinkhole image, except instead of actual space sinking down the hole, it's just "priority to interact" that's sinking, i.e., we say a string-ring is "moving" in "space" getting "closer" to another ring knit into the fabric, but it's just getting "closer to interacting" with that that other ring each click of time (e.g., by eating up some series of interaction-bars in the way each click). But our experience is to spread that prioritization out in "spatial dimensions". And when they say the universe is expanding since the Big Bang, in this picture, the only thing "expanding" is the number of actions it takes for two particles to interact with each other, whereas before it'd have taken less. It looks to us like expanding space, but nope, we're still all in the primordial singularity, in a zero dimensional universe looking out ourselves. Kind of mindbending, to say the least.

By the way, this isn't anything that this podcast covers. This is just my own interpretation as I was watching it. It's just the vanilla quantum theory scientists actually use where nobody knows what's going on, but the math works. But if I had all the time in the world, I think it'd be cool to try to work my interpretation out into an actual system. I feel like there's something to it. It's the first time I've ever had a mental picture of QM, a particle smeared out on the boundary of a wave, that ever made sense to me.
    Last edited by demagogue; 22nd Nov 2020 at 12:27.

Yeah so I got one year of Apple TV+ for free when I bought an iPad a few months ago. Can't complain because it's free but normally I wouldn't have done it. The movies Greyhound with Tom Hanks and Sofia Coppola's On the Rocks were decent, but only that. Maybe Foundation will be a good show, who knows. A friend of mine says that Tehran is fun to watch, maybe I'll try it later. But all in all Netflix and Amazon Prime offer more bang for your buck.

But The Morning Show with Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Billy Crudup and Steve Carrell, now that's good. This is a relevant, topical, well-written show that I'm enjoying very much. I have three episodes to go and I hope the second season will come through in time. The acting is excellent, production values are top notch (just be prepared for everyone using Apple products as could be expected), the New York environments are beautiful but most of all it's just a very well-written show with characters that are more than just two-dimensional caricatures. Witherspoon's character is the one most people will root for, but most of the other characters are far from black-and-white terrible or saintlike, which I appreciate. I find myself postponing judgment all the time (especially on Aniston's character), which I like more than the characters being either highly virtuous or obvious villains. Carrell's character has done objectively bad shit but even then they show his human side.

The only thing that feels fake here are the segments of the actual titular The Morning Show tv program, because it's a heavily scripted fluff news show by design, where a lot of the plot is actually about Witherspoon trying to make the show's content more meaningful. Add one of the show's former hosts (Carrell) being caught up in a me-too scandal to that, and it makes for compelling watching.

The best drama series I've seen lately has been I May Destroy You but this is a close second.
    Last edited by Harvester; 26th Nov 2020 at 18:11.

Watched the last three episodes of The Morning Show. I was spellbound the whole way.

This show and I May Destroy You made me more sensitive to me-too and women's issues in general (and I May Destroy you also did that for sexual and racial minority issues). I always took stories about Weinstein and Spacey and all those people seriously, but The Morning Show showed me how such power dynamics might work in practice and how that affects the people involved. What also gets me is that these insanely talented, extroverted people that make more money than I ever will and have all these qualities and talents that I will never have, can still be so incredibly self-centered, amoral and opportunistic and just lacking moral fiber. Shouldn't come as a surprise but to see it displayed on the screen like that, that made an impact on me. Gets me wondering what I would do in their situation, and I know I've done some stuff I'm not proud of in my life, so I'm not saying I could never do what these people did and frankly I'm glad I don't possess that kind of power.

But as a working environment compared to all the glamor of The Morning Show, I prefer the relatively blue-collar mid-sized IT company I work at and the kind of people that work there. I wouldn't be able to handle all the huge egos, interpersonal politics and back-stabbing that goes on in that show's production environment.

Page 213 of 214 FirstFirst ... 113163168173178183188193198203208209210211212213214 LastLast