TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Re; Gamespot review

Re; Gamespot review

I'm thinking about picking this game up over the weekend after playing the demo for the last couple of days. Now, I've heard there are some serious bugs but I'm hoping these are resolved soon. Bugs aside though, the combat in the game is probably the most intense I've ever experienced and the demo has been a lot of fun.

However I saw Gamespots review which rated it at 6.7. Not so hot. Anyway, some people don't put much credence in professional reviews, but I personally find Gamespots reviews usually more accurate than some of the other online sites. Not all of the time but usually.

According to them, the gameplay gets repetitive and the story sucks.

While I do respect Gamespot reviews more than other sites, I'd like to know what you guys that have played the game think. And most important how is the stealth?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - while there are certainly plenty of times where I disagree with GameSpot, and while I find their reviewing policy suspect (they claim that all their reviews are vetted by numerous people and that they're objective, not subjective - but if that's true it doesn't explain various score differences between near-identical games, like The Guild and The Guild 2), overall they do a good job, have their heart in the right place, and are generally trustworthy. Plus, Greg Kasavin has replied to every single e-mail I've ever sent him (at this point he knows who I am).

Eurogamer gave the game an 8, but even they said the storyline was awful and the boss fights very uninspired.

Assuming it doesn't have the same crash bug on this machine, I really should play through all of Arx Fatalis.

They still like it better than .hack, though.
    Last edited by Aerothorn; 27th Oct 2006 at 11:30.

Well, I'm not sure how trustworthy they are lol, but I find that a lot of the time I tend to agree on their reviews more than some other sites.

It seems to me, (although I don't always agree), that they have the balls to point out some of the negative aspects of gameplay that other sites don't.

On the other hand, sometimes it seems like they'll give out good scores to really hyped games, while games that I sometimes feel deserve more recognition don't get it from them. Of course all of the others are guilty of this as well.

As far as Dark Messiah goes, the demo is a lot of fun. I am really curious about the stealth aspects though as it's kinda tough to really check it out in the demo.

It's easy to bash game critics. Somewhere out there you'll find an experienced, smart, knowledgeable and honest game critic who has written a bad review of a game you absolutely love.

But I think game criticism is important. I believe film and music evolved as art forms through a synergy of artists and critics. I'm afraid I don't see the same synergy in game development and game criticism, and the evolution of game design suffers from it.

Okay, that was one big digression.

My point is that I, too, see Gamespot as a more reputable and legitimate source for game reviews. However, don't let a bad review from them prevent you from playing a game you might love. Use sites like GameRankings and Metacritic if you enjoy reading reviews before making a decision on a purchase.

And most importantly, as long as you have the opportunity, let your personal experience of a game -- and your personal taste in gaming -- guide you.

For me, I support Arkane's apparent desire to carry on the Looking Glass legacy, even if they aren't always successful. I've already ordered the Limited Edition and the Game Guide from Amazon. But my anticipation has been tempered by that cheesy and generic plot video (see this thread) and my experience with the terrible multiplayer component during the closed beta period (I'm sure it's better now, but boy was it bad back then).

Yeah, game reviews (despite what Gamespot may claim), while having objective elements to them, eventually come down to the personal tastes of one (or more) person(s). If you thought the demo was a blast, than get the game.

Then again, way back when, I thought GTA 2's demo was a blast, got the game, and regretted it...the demo was a blast because it was only 5 minutes long, and the gameplay never changed.

So yeah, make sure that the demo is something you'd want to do over and over.

As far as the Multiplayer component is concerned, its development was outsourced to Kuju, so this shouldn't really be taken as any indication as to the quality of the single-player game.

The single player game has attracted a mostly positive response from reviewers so far, particularly those that have focused on the game's merits - such as the dynamic combat system which appears to be the most advanced one to date for a 1st person rpg.

I wont get a chance to play this game until tomorrow though, so I will have more to say about it then.

It seems that most other sites have given the game a score of 8.0-9.0 ish. This game's been kinda mixed for me, because at first I was extremely hyped up for it, but after seeing how ridiculously overpowered the combat looked and the whole fact that everyone likes placing dangerous giant spikes of death in the most opportune places was kinda a turn off.

I read both the gamespot and the ign reviews, and they both sounded like they knew what they were talking about (as in, they actually backup why they hated/liked it). So, honestly, I don't know what to think of the game. Has anyone that has played the demo (my computer isn't good enough for it) found out if it offers a harder mode of play? I generally prefer games that offer a good challenge (I play most shooters on the hardest mode available no matter how frustrating it is; halo on legendary and CoD2 on veteran). I'm really hoping that Dark Messiah will show that some difficult and tactical battles, but I'm yet to see that as in all the videos I've watched the player is absolutely dominating everything in sight within a mere few seconds.

On steam the multiplay part of the game is seperate from the single player game, they are launced seperately, the multiplay isnt yet available for pre-load on steam.

When you meet a thing to be killed in game you are given a range of things built in the game to kill said thing. either chop it up with swords, daggers, shoot it to death with a bow and arrow, drop something heavy on it, use magic on it, kick it into something spiky, kick it off the side of a building, kick it down the stairs, kick it into the fire, hit it into the fire, use a mechanical crane to bash its head in with something heavy thats swinging, throw something heavy at it, you can also kick into a stone wall and that will also kill it. You also dont need the special power up to chop its head off, if you hit it the right way, then you can chop body parts off and they die soon after, so far chopped heads, arms, legs off, without the special power up.
    Last edited by belboz; 28th Oct 2006 at 03:03.

These are my impressions that I posted elsewhere. Basically it's a very fun game, but for fans of Thief and Deus Ex with their generally grim and serious tone, DM might be a bit too fun. You gotta be in the right mood.

I've done the first couple of levels. It's a good quality game, though not a fantasy Deus Ex like I was hoping. Definitely an action game with some required combat, but playing like a stealthy assassin is still usually possible ... Just be prepared to fight like a cornered cat when someone spots you, because other enemies will hear and join the fray.

One of the best moments I had in the first few maps is hiding in a darkened alcove and hitting the wall with my dagger to alert a guard and have him come over to investigate the noise. When he walked into the darkness I unleashed a flurry of attacks on him and dragged his corpse out of sight. Great stuff.

They've pretty much ballsed up the difficulty though. I chose hard difficulty first and had daggers that do 1 damage. It was next to impossible. Today I restarted it on normal difficulty ... and found some daggers that do 4 damage ... So I was doing 4 times the damage on an easier difficulty level. Restarted again with hard difficulty, got the daggers, having a great time.

It's very fun, and you shouldn't expect a serious game. If gameplay has genres, this is a comedy. In a good way.
    For people worried about the game being too easy, try playing stealthy. You'll still have to fight at times, and you'll still experience melee combat, and on hard difficulty it's a good challenge. (At least the first few chapters that I've played so far.)

after playing about half of the game, I've read that review. I have to say, I disagree with about every single statement in that review.

I got the game the day it came out and I relly enjoy it. To me it is a mideval
    spinoff of deus ex except for insted of finding bio upgrades you will earn points that you can apply to increse or abtain various skills like strength as apposed to magical ability. I was origionally turned off by any game that made you do this but in this case there is definately more action vs figuring out what to upgrade or what skills to increse. I havent encountered any bugs so far except the here and there seeing through something for a split second and I am on the 10th chapter. I hope you have a beefy PC to play it on to. If I even use the reccomended settings specified by a * in the display settings I end up with a slideshow. On medium to high and not using the full dynamic range the game looks beautifull and playes great.(There is 10 chapters devided into about 5 to 8 levels each or load points, whatever you want to call them) It can be very difficult at first but dont worry. In time you will be much stronger and able to take out enemies that gave you trouble once very quickly. I have gotten at least 15-20 hours out of the game and I am playing the slash and mash way. I would imagine if you want to play the thief way it could be a very long journey. This game is worth every penny. I am normaly a FPS only guy to but FP slash amd mash workes for me to and I am 37 years old !!!!
    Wether you say you can't, or can, your right !

Quote Originally Posted by belboz View Post
    On steam the multiplay part of the game is seperate from the single player game, they are launced seperately, the multiplay isnt yet available for pre-load on steam.

When you meet a thing to be killed in game you are given a range of things built in the game to kill said thing. either chop it up with swords, daggers, shoot it to death with a bow and arrow, drop something heavy on it, use magic on it, kick it into something spiky, kick it off the side of a building, kick it down the stairs, kick it into the fire, hit it into the fire, use a mechanical crane to bash its head in with something heavy thats swinging, throw something heavy at it, you can also kick into a stone wall and that will also kill it. You also dont need the special power up to chop its head off, if you hit it the right way, then you can chop body parts off and they die soon after, so far chopped heads, arms, legs off, without the special power up.
    LOL your not into the killing aspect of the game are you.