TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System Shock movies from Mac version playable in Windows (Warning! Few screenshots!)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU
    I'll head home this weekend and see if I can figure out how I did it last time
    When you have figured it out, could you post it here? I'd like to do comparison between my and your methods.

Here is my method to do conversion form Mac-verson to Windows version:
    1. Find and download System Shock Mac-cd image file.
    2. Download and install Deamon Tools.
    3. Do a internet search for program called HFVExplorer, download and install it.
    4. Do a internet search for qtflat.zip (too hard to find, btw), download and unpack it.
    5. Mount Mac-cd image with Daemon Tools.
    6. Use HFVExplorer to extract data- and resource-forks to seperate files.
    7. Use qtflat program to do conversion.
    8. At the end we should have working MOV-files.

If somebody wants, I could upload qtflat.zip to my webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat
    Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFrog
    It uses the magic number 4D 4F 56 49 ("MOVI") and is identified from this as a Silicon Graphics movie file.
    A Google search for "Silicon Graphics movie file" turns up a few promising-looking links. There's evidentally a "Silicon Graphics Movie Library" with code to handle their format, so if this is indeed the right format, that may provide the solution (always assuming that you can get hold of it, compile it, and run it on something other than IRIX...)...
    Yes, that could be another possible explanation for SShock's internal movie format. The development team at Origin could have used IRIX-based servers and workstations to do 3D-renderings and other things.

ZylonBane, I did have converted System Shock Intro movie (from MOV to AVI) at my webpage and if I remember correctly, I did some rough testing on it to see if it shows up in System Shock 2. Unfortunately, I don't remember did it work. I need to test it now. And for that subtitling, I have translated what Terri Brosius says at intro movie to text file. However it requires a bit more work to be true sub-text.

An .avi version of System Shock's intro is available at http://koti.mbnet.fi/kegetys/dl.php?...k1_intro&e=avi , according to Google. I downloaded it, and it works. I have no idea if this one will work with SS2, but it may be worth a try.

Interesting. I downloaded it too and made comparison using GSpot with my version. It seems to use same codecs that my version uses. And it have same sample rate with my version. The only difference is file size. Mine is almost 12,2 MB big and the other is only 4.1 MB!

I used VirtualDub to extract audio from mpeg version of SShock intro movie and using same software, I imported that audio track to my AVI version.

If owner of that address reads these forums, I like to thank he/she for making more compressed version of orginal SShock intro movie.

Cool, in the Endgame movie at 20Sec you can see a Combat Suit from Terra Nova

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed

Cool, in the Endgame movie at 20Sec you can see a Combat Suit from Terra Nova
    I wouldn't know if it is or isn't, but I wouldn't be surprised, since LGS was involved with Terra Nova.

Enchantermon
    Is that considered flirting?
    TNTís Lair
    Citadel Conversion Project

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantermon
    I wouldn't know if it is or isn't, but I wouldn't be surprised, since LGS was involved with Terra Nova.

Enchantermon
    Considering the fact that they made the game, yes, I would say they definitely were involved with it.

I recently played through TN, and was re-watching the cutscenes with a Smacker player last night, and I noticed that in one scene (the bit where you see Mylonas' memory of having her throat torn out), you can hear a brief bit of music that must have been re-used later in SS2. Sounds like part of the music from Med/Sci (haven't played in a long time though). Either that or it sounds really close.
    Last edited by Drat; 8th Oct 2005 at 01:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Drat
    you can hear a brief bit of music that must have been re-used later in SS2.
    Ha! Good catch :) (Scen11a.smk for those playing at home).

You're right, it's instantly recognisable. Eric was responsible for music in both games, of course. I wonder how much of the song existed at that point?

Sorta reminds me how DooM II Map10 existed at least as far back as DooM 0.4 Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitter
    Considering the fact that they made the game, yes, I would say they definitely were involved with it.
    Well, yeah.....I guess I could have said that.

Enchantermon
    Is that considered flirting?
    TNTís Lair
    Citadel Conversion Project

I just started playing SS1 again for the first time in to fucking long. Had to stop though, as I'm too tired, it's getting too bright to see much on this dark monitor, and I got killed by a cyborg drone. A goddamn drone! I hadn't saved, or switched the surgery machine.

Anyway, I noticed another System Shock/Terra Nova appearance. In the intro to the game, at about 47 seconds, you can see, very faintly, a TN drop-ship flying along over the station's shield towards the bottom left of the screen. If you are quick, or a using an external version of the video, in the next shot you'll catch a much closer glimpse of one flying past just before the shuttle with the Hacker on board flies into shot and goes to the hangar.

Quote Originally Posted by Drat
    In the intro to the game, at about 47 seconds, you can see, very faintly, a TN drop-ship flying along over the station's shield towards the bottom left of the screen.
    Damned good eyes again there, Drat. I remember noticing the closer one in the next shot, but I'd never recognised that first drop-ship before.

The mac films are playable in Quicktime Player on mac without modification. I know this because for some reason the final film would not play for me in-game, but I could play it in Quicktime.

Vorn

Presumably the mac QuickTime player compiles the data/resource forks in real time? Can that be reverse-engineered?

I am another macless wonder, so sorry if this is retarded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12