TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 FM: Forbidden Rites

Ok, I think that supposed secret door down the steps is bogus. I misread the comment further up in this thread.

But I remain in limbo, being unable to finish the mission. I haven't come across this complaint from anyone else, so I'm thinkin that there is a scroll or something that I missed picking up that produces the goal regards the glyphs. Even though I've done it, it must need to be part of the objective list in order to complete the mission. Does this sound right ??

What a great FM! The puzzles were superb. I judge that by the fact that I didn't have to consult the forum or a walkthrough to figure them out. Not too hard yet satisfying when you solve them. I was stuck at one point, the spell focus, till I noticed this switch I hadn't seen before and read something that made me go "Aha!" (and that little clue was quite clever and fun to "get"). So much better than trying to hunt for some key to get into the crypts.

I love a mixture of genres in an FM. You had your classic Mansion/Fortress/Citadel mission with a nice dash of undead/crypt action to spice things up. What a thoroughly enjoyable 1.5 hours. I never did get all the loot but I notice I only found something like 2 secrets so I'm going back in to find them all.

Thanks for this great mission Krush!

Clock:

Could you lay out what exactly you've already done, and maybe I can figure out the problem? Were you able to get through the bars in the sewer and swim out over the waterfall, and the mission does not end? If so, that is a major bug.

This bug existed in version one of FR, but I am pretty sure I fixed it on version 2. In fact I know I did, otherwise I would be inundated with hatemail...

The version of the zip file you have should be forbidv2.zip. If it's forbidv1 or something, you've got the wrong version and it's no good.

Sorry for the late reply but I was out of town.

I haven't gone back to the mission for a number of days, but I was struck by your comment. I got into the sewer, but I don't know anything about bars and waterfalls. The sewer leads to a ladder which takes you back outside. I thought climbing up the ladder and/or getting outside would trigger the end. I even roamed around a bit and ended up where I started in an attempt to end it.

It looks like I need to study the sewer passageway a little more closely.

I am using the right zip file. BTW, was I right that there is no secret door down the stairway I described?

Ok, that was really stupid of me. I went back and realized that I could go FURTHER in the sewer than that ladder. Further enough to slurp over the waterfall and end the mission.

Duhhhh.

Thanks for the FM. Very enjoyable.

Looking for more loot, still 140 short of max

Quote Originally Posted by Krush the Second
    spoiler:
    Lost City rug behind the Cthulhu statue in the four-pillared room.

Several coin stacks in a safe behind the banner in the high priest's office.

golden cup under a table in the formal dining room.

bag of spice in a chest in the attic above the training room.

a purse in a secret compartment in Cavador's bedroom.

a small statue in the top level of the old bell tower.
    Got all of those, any others anyone can come up with? BTW, Fantastic mission, Krush! I tend to miss some of the slightly more obvious bits of loot, anyhow... For instance, almost missed the small statue on the shelf in the basement room with the locked-up sewer hatch switch. Got it only when ready to unlock and leave... Any other nastly little loot buggers hidden? Thanks! --Crowemagnon

A compiled loot list would obviously help the most... thanxthanxthanx!
    Last edited by epithumia; 5th Dec 2005 at 09:58.

There's a bottle of wine in the "wine-room" hidden behind a crate, which might not be too obvious. Still missing a bit myself despite my best efforts at searching the entire level.

[QUOTE=madwolf]
    spoiler:
    and cool Indiana Jones style puzzles

That was my favorite part!

Whenever I find a bottle of holy water early I wince, figuring I'm going to have to deal with 900 zombies or something, but that was not the case at all. It had just the right amount of enemies.

I honestly can't believe this is anyone's first mission. Krush, you really should consider doing a whole mission SET - my only gripe about this one is that it was over too soon!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm diggin' this FM, love the huge building/structure. But right now, I'm stuck:

spoiler:
    Ok, found the circle by Roderick that creates the ward. I shot it with a holy water arrow, and now I'm supposed to read a spell. Which spell? There's one on a podium right there, but that's not it. I don't seem to have anything in my inventory that looks like a spell, only a book called "treatise on spells..." Where do I find the spell book that creates the fire?

Brother Renault, I believe you have to
    spoiler:
    read the spell while standing within the pentagram.

Southquarter.com/fms
    ok, antialias, but my question was actually:

spoiler:
    which spell?

spoiler:
    antialias, it is not necessary to stand in the pentagram and read the spell. You just have to read the scroll on the podium.

Brother Renault, when you shot the pentagram with a holy water arrow, did it light up with red flames? If not, then maybe the holy water did not hit the pentagram properly - try shooting it with another holy water arrow and aim carefully for the floor part of it. If you accidentally shot the stones around the edge of the pent, or the brazier, then maybe that is the problem.

After the pent lights up with red flames, you can read the spell and progress from there.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't seem to be very good at explaining things! Here is how I did it:

First
    spoiler:
    shoot a holy water arrow into the pentagram (if you don't hit it right you'll have to do it again - it should start glowing red)

Second
    spoiler:
    read the scroll on the podium - that IS the right spell. Wait a moment for the fire to start.

Third
    spoiler:
    drop the vial of blood into the fire.

I finally had time to play this mission and I was totally impressed! It's beautiful to look at, has great puzzles that are just hard enough to be fun without being frustrating and an interesting storyline. A truly outstanding achievement for anyone, much less for a first mission. Excellent work and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    Excellent work and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.
    I tried it on your recommendation, and agree wholeheartedly. I'm adding it to my list of "must play again" FMs. Well done Krush!

Thanks everyone!

Lootlist and Walkthrough

You can get them from Cheap Thief Missions here. Thanks to epithumia for hosting them.

Archivist
    Well done ffox and Nightwalker

Krush, what an excellent mission you've created . After the beta-test I didn't played the offical release yet so I did so yesterday evening.

I was pleasantly surprised by the tile puzzles, performing the ritual of lifting the warden spell, and the good layout of the mission.
    Compliments for the detail. The Fortress itself is already impressive to behold, but the caves and the lost city temple beneath it, with all the coloured lightning and beautiful architecture, are really stunning.
    Good variation in enemies as well. I didn't had much trouble dealing with them, except for the mage haunts which were a little more powerful then I expected
    spoiler:
    (I failed to dodge their projectiles.. )

And the story, as well as the many readables, really make the place come to life.
    The descriptions of the paitings in the library, and
    spoiler:
    Cavador's secret diary
    are some small things that give this mission a little bit extra.
    This is one of the surprises of 2005!

Great mission! Thanks!

I started your mission about 2:30 am - I get insomnia and Thief is a terrific distraction - great mission! Took a few breaks, but I'm still playing it.

One thing I especially love is the way you build the space and architecture so BIG. Walls and columns, cliffs loom over my head and feel dangerous. Weird how you manage to make your spaces so large, but they don't get boring or feel empty. Instead, all that space feels overwhelming and even crushing. I think that's partly because of the way you texture. Dirty, heavy, musty - perfect. I'm a nut for castles, and these spaces look a lot like photos I have of ruins in Scotland.

Spaces are furnished with stuff that makes sense with the function of each room. Not just thrown because you have to have something there. Well thought out and beautifully executed. Uberprops!

I hope you're going to make another one?

hey, the spell doesn't work!?

I thought I had it wrong, but from what I read here, I did everything right.

spoiler:
    I found a circle with a pentagram on the floor above the lab. In the center is a bezier (?) with a fire burning in it. I followed the directions in the book. Good thing I had 2 vials of holy water, because smashing the first one against the star just made a lot of noise. I shot a holy water arrow at the pentagram and red spots bubbled up from it (is this the fire?), so I guess it was activated. Then I frobbed the paper on the podium to read the incantation. I thought the whole circle would burst into flame, but nothing happened. I threw the vial of blood at the little fire in the bezier about 20 times before I got it in the center of the fire. Waited 10 minutes, ran down to the portal twice, it never opened.

I've reworked this spell 20 ways to Sunday and can't get it to work.
    spoiler:
    Was that little bezier fire supposed to already be burning when I entered the area? Is that a bug?

redleaf No it wasn't supposed to be burning already. You first need to shoot a holy water arrow at the base of the brazier then read the spell at which time the fire should start to burn. Then you put the bottle of blood in the fire and there's an explosion of sorts to let you know that you've done it properly. Don't despair if you've hit a bug. There's another way in. Go down to the Power room and look for a small switch that will open a secret door into the crypts. If you can't find it, email me and I'll send you a screenshot.

Playing this one again as I enjoyed it first time round.
    However, this time, no Father Gregor at all so couldn't finish.
    Don't know if it was because I did things in the wrong order, I got into the crypt via secret passage, not the door (force field still active) and grabbed the staff before visiting the lab.

d. Dec 2017
    Loved this mission. I am replaying after a 5 year lapse (no, not my memory) and I can't find the sewer exit. I thought it was in the yard just south of the hammer sanctuary where I can see the sewers through a grill. I pulled the lever in the basement to open the sewer and thought I had looked everywhere, but still cannot exit. Would appreciate some help, please.

If you're looking for a terrific mission to play or replay while waiting for a new release, I highly recommend this one, but beware, it is spooky. No zombies, fortunately, but there are some mean spirits hanging around underground. Nicely designed, with clever puzzles that won't strain the brain if you read everything.

You said you pulled the lever and got into the sewer? If so just float in the water all the way to the end and out the waterfall.

If there is a grill of iron bars keeping you from going to the end, you still have some objective left undone which needs to be completed first.

d. Dec 2017
    Phil_Solid....how I thank you for answering, but I pulled the handle in the basement....I really must have missed something and will go back to see where the entrance is to the sewers. That is what I'm looking for and I didn't see it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast