TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mount & Blade

TTLG.com

A second castle...? (Heads off to find it.)

I haven't played this for ages but I had great fun with it. Anyone know if the new versions(s) work with older versions' saves? Or is it new character/cheat mode time?

No, I think it's incompatible with old saves.

Also, James, the castles are both on the side of the map farthest from the ocean. One's on the Swadian side, and the other's in Vaegir territory.

TTLG.com

Seen it now - Culmarr Castle, which is new!

Piln - according to the readme, pre-0.730 savegames are not compatible.

I was surprised with how well this game is done. The battle sequences are really quite nice. It is obvious, however, that huge gaps of the game are missing. Still, it's quite fun.

My favorite tactic is to tout 3 large bags of throwing axes and a sword of war into battle. When you charge on your horse towards the enemy, chuck an axe at their horse. It gets hamstrung and dies and the guy goes flying, only to be killed upon getting up be the 10 or so infantry following along with me. Most fun I've had in a game in quite some time.

BANNED
    How big is the map?

Pretty big, actually, it would take you 2 or 3 days of travelling on horse to reach from one end to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy
    Pretty big, actually, it would take you 2 or 3 days of travelling on horse to reach from one end to the other.
    That's ingame days, of course. A few minutes realtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Uglyhead
    That's ingame days, of course. A few minutes realtime.
    At least a half hour, I think. Unless you have a large group of guys following around with you, you're going to get in at least a couple of battles on the way across.

Mount & Blade owns. Just bought it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy
    At least a half hour, I think. Unless you have a large group of guys following around with you, you're going to get in at least a couple of battles on the way across.
    If you travel light and fast, you can also outrun many would-be attackers, though, which would shorten your travel time quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Uglyhead
    If you travel light and fast, you can also outrun many would-be attackers, though, which would shorten your travel time quite a bit.
    Tried it, sometimes you get trapped between a hammer and a hard place, which is why I always travel with an additional 50 foot or so with me. They take the bolts, I kill the crossbowmen.

If you're solo you only need to kill one of the enemy then you can leave the battle and run away. Make sure you have a fast horse when you try this.

Quote Originally Posted by dvrabel
    If you're solo you only need to kill one of the enemy then you can leave the battle and run away. Make sure you have a fast horse when you try this.
    If escape is tantamount, you might consider dumping inventory. Also, keeping additional horses in your inventory decreases the travel penalty caused by hauling loads of goods. Especially handy if you're going the merchant route.

Here's a good trick, too; dismounted horses provide handy little barricades. They can keep you safe from arrows until they die, and enemy horsemen who try to charge you will run into the horse and stop, leaving them open for a headshot with a ranged weapon.

TTLG.com

Version 0.750 is now out.

What's new?

TTLG.com

According to the forums, the official list is:

Face generator has received an overhaul
    New Launch window
    A proper configuration window instead of the editing the configuration text.
    Automatic render buffer resizing. That means no more "out of static vertex buffer" error for mods (unless you really run out of physical video memory of course.
    Number of Party stacks is not limited anymore.
    Mouse smoothing. (A million thanks to the kind souls who suggested that!)
    Unarmed combat!
    Lots of NPC voices and voice effects!
    Some new sound effects
    Anisotropic texture filtering for sharper looking textures.
    All merchants and taverns have been furnished

(http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.p...c,10408.0.html)

and people report other things found in this thread:

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.p...c,10328.0.html

The quick test run I did suggests that my horse tends to run away now, when I dismount to take potshots with my crossbow, and the enemy approaches too closely! Desertion!

I downloaded it promptly, installed it, ran a tst mission, and then the siren call of Oblivion sucked me back to Tamriel.

I presume this is yet another savegame-go-bye-bye update? I'm not playing this much right now anyhow (Masters exams in a week and a half), so I'll probably wait until it's officially stable in any case.

I'm glad to hear they've removed the party stack size limit. No more of this:

Kidnapped Girl: Much as I appreciate you rescuing me, sir, and no matter how much I'd like to go home, I can't join your party right now because there isn't any room!

Although if there's still a total party size limit, the problem won't go away entirely...

TTLG.com

Actually, my one quick test used my old savegame, and there weren't any obvious errors.

It did make me think a bit on the comparison of Oblivion to M&B - I wish I could combine them, to get M&B's handling of mounted combat with Oblivion... though, to come down to it, Cyrodil isn't really cavalry country.

The best part of this update is the voices in battles which really change the atmosphere a lot. The game seems much more fun now that the bandits etc yell when you hit them.
    Also, I found that my savegames all work.
    Definitely a good update.

BANNED
    I am anxious to try this. I have been waiting 'til it's a bit less "beta". Looks like it's getting a lot closer/.

While the additional voices are useful, it also has several bugs for me. One such bug is where clothing and weapons will randomly disappear in Zendar. While this is the cause of much amusement when it affects the NPCs, it gets annoying when you lose your horse.

TTLG.com

Ouch - the horse is bad news. M&B gave me a visceral appreciation for the investment a horse represents.

Does version 0.751 fix that? I know it's out but I'm too swamped to check - the readme says it's a bugfix over 0.750.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig455
    I am anxious to try this. I have been waiting 'til it's a bit less "beta". Looks like it's getting a lot closer/.
    It's beta in the sense that there's no extensive story or big quests right now to make it a full-length "adventure" ... but the gameplay is more or less in place now, it doesn't really need any of this, and is so much fun that I wonder what you're waiting for, considering it's shareware (the demo). I haven't seen any bugs that really detract from the core experience of galloping into battle.

BANNED
    Please don't take this wrong, but the
    extensive story or big quests right now to make it a full-length "adventure"
    , is exactly what I am waiting for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast