TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mount & Blade

Thread returns from the dead once again.

I like this a lot - it's sort of a medieval version of Elite, plus some sassy third-person combat in the style of being a dude on the ground from one of the Total War games ... or something like that.

Anyway, yes, I didn't just breathe life into this thread to say that; there's another semi-hefty update available (from 0.89x to 0.901), which all you other M&B types may be interested in.

The map is now HUGE, and, I would guess, takes a couple of game-days to cross. There're some sexy quests to take (from Village Elders, Guild Masters, dudes in Castles etc) and I believe some of the AI has been tightened up (horse archers on your team supposedly behave a bit better, although I haven't tested this yet).

Plus! You can buy and read books from a mobile book trader, which I'd guess improve your stats. It's not a crappy instant thing where you buy the tome and TA-DA, WOW NOW YOU CAN FIGHT BETTER, you have to select the book you want and it progressively gets read during your travels. Ultimately improving your knowledge of trade, or leadership or whatever. Which at least is a nod towards realism.

I recommend it if you haven't re-visited the game for a while. Make sure you get 0.901, because 0.900 had some hilarious bugs (I'm sure 0.901 has a few too; but less).

It's an awesome game. I haven't tried .90X yet, I'm waiting until they get a stable build.

hi guys, i have tried the neweest version that was released a month ago. its perfect, its still not finished but highly playable. Most bugs are gone now, and try the new mods like:
    -Hundred Years war
    -BoW extended mod

both are great.

Downloaded the gametrial and tried it out.
    Damn, I thought you could be riding through the entire gameworld in the same way as in the battlefield. =(
    But still...the gameplay is quite nice. I won't stop playing this too soon.

It's ready

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.paradoxplaza.com/

Groundbreaking Medieval Combat Title in Stores Now

New York - Sept. 16, 2008 - Paradox Interactive today confirmed that after several years of development, Mount & Blade, the widely-acclaimed action-RPG title for the PC, has successfully mounted North American store shelves. Mount & Blade will be available in European stores on Friday, Sep. 19th.

Yeah, I tried the demo recently.

Not bad, the rpg stuff is paper thin, but mounted combat's pretty cool. I played nothing but instant battle.

Wonder when they'll get around releasing 1.0 to those of us who paid at version .3

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

$30 USD off of Gamersgate. Nice.

Seriously, who pays for beta builds of games?

is Best Pony
    Everyone who bought KotOR II?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Everyone who bought KotOR II?
    Don't be a smart arse. "Rushed to retail by publishers, unpolished" titles don't count.

is Best Pony
    God, take a joke already.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Seriously, who pays for beta builds of games?
    You don't believe them when they say it's done?
    Or are you really just saying, "Seriously, who pays for indie games?"

I don't know, though. Has anyone got the release version to see how finished it is?
    What's your basis for thinking it's still incomplete?
    Last edited by demagogue; 22nd Sep 2008 at 11:28.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    You don't believe them when they say it's done?
    Or are you really just saying, "Seriously, who pays for indie games?"

I don't know, though. Has anyone got the release version to see how finished it is?
    What's your basis for thinking it's still incomplete?
    Sorry, I should've been more specific. I meant paying for the builds of this game prior to this "complete" retail release.

EDIT:
    Right, after doing some reading it seems that the development of the game was mostly funded through this practice. Fair enough I guess and kudos on them for completing the game.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 22nd Sep 2008 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I meant paying for the builds of this game prior to this "complete" retail release.
    Oh yeah, I thought about that at the time, too.
    It means the final price is cheaper because you get access to the release game as well, but not too much cheaper.

Edit: That's an even better explanation...

How much cheaper depends on when you bought it. I think it was like 12 bucks when I bought.

Simply put, how many people would've bought an incomplete version of say, GTA4 for half price knowing they'd be able to upgrade it to the full game when it was released? Then you tack on that modders have been working the game hard since like .3, and the result is that you're paying less and getting more now. Seems like a good deal to me.

I think I paid around 8 bucks, not sure when but it was a long ways back. Aside from trying out the .803 sieges I haven't touched M&B in months and it feels fresh and looks and plays better than ever.

I was miffed that you can no longer customize the recruitable hero avatars though, and I guess I'll always wonder what may have been if they had worked on implementing a story line rather than adding various graphical enhancements but that's life.

In the end M&B still does what it does far better than any AAA title I've played. A little rough around the edges sure, but when you are in the mood for full-on mounted combat with hundreds of units, castle sieges, sacking caravans and looting villages, there is no substitute.

it's out on steam as of today (at least in europe)
    should I get it ?
    is it good ?
    I'd like to support some small studio but I'm no big 3rd person medivial battle fan, are there other ways to play the game as well ?

It is also possible to play it in first person. There are already some reviews out there. I just know about german reviews at the moment:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...t_&_Blade.html

http://www.gamona.de/games/mount-bla...e,1116870.html

I know german. thanks, maybe I'm going to check it out.

It's available in Steam for $29.99
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/22100/

PC Gamering Smartey Man

M&B2: Bannerlord is out in 2 days.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...II_Bannerlord/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234