TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328 ... LastLast

Thread: openDarkEngine

@Domarius.

Oh, ok. I understand now. I got the impression that it was an attempt to make an updated editor that took advantage of state of the art. Thanks for the clarification. So this is an attempt to make a middle ground editor that can withstand the next few incarnations of Windows?

You got XP to run on a 450? How much memory did it have? I am using the 600 MHZ right now (128Mb) and it sucks (wish I had my own internet connection). It takes like 30+ seconds for the right click menu to drop down. (But, yeah, I'd never go back either. XP on mine too).
    Last edited by kamyk; 18th Dec 2005 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk
    I am using the 600 MHZ right now (128Mb) and it sucks (wish I had my own internet connection). It takes like 30+ seconds for the right click menu to drop down.
    XP on 128MB, yuck. You might want to try disabling a few services to reclaim a bit of memory. Black Viper's services page seems to be down but there's an archive here.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf
    XP on 128MB, yuck. You might want to try disabling a few services to reclaim a bit of memory. Black Viper's services page seems to be down but there's an archive here.
    Don't stop there, though. Go to sysinternals.org and get a few fun utils to tidy things up with.

Dude, forget that stuff - buy more memory. It fixes everything. And it's cheap (relatively). Although if you have a slightly aging motherboard like mine you might have to spend a bit more than normal to get an older type that will work with it.

I was running 384mb (or something) for ages and that was what I lived with for years, it was great. I only just recently bumped it up to 640mb to do more graphic work and have more programs and browser windows open before the hard drive starts thrashing. (I haven't really made it thrash yet, which is cool).

Even cooler but somewhat more geeky and fiddly - I've split my fast hdd into a 5 gig partion and remaing space partion. Windows is installed on the 5gig an nothing else. I use Norton Ghost 2003 to image it, and it makes a 1gig image file (which I store on a seperate physical hard drive, just to make it happen twice as fast - 8 mins to 4 mins). Now whenever I have problems, or even when I just feel like I should do it - I re-image the 5gig partion. That way i've got "vanilla install" speed boot ups and shut downs, everything runs as fast as it did the day I formatted and installed. It's awesome.

I mean, why, when you go to all the trouble of setting up your computer, should you only get to experience such efficient operaiton for a few weeks at best? It's not right. Preserve it, I say.

Hey everyone.

I only read up to page 2 and u guys started talking about multithreading and im too tired to go through all that.

So i just wanted to post something.

A Complete Remake of the Dark Engine is Completly Possiable. Theres nothing Impossiable about it.

Quote:"Today I uploaded a first testing viewer, which is capable of loading and displaying Thief 1/Gold levels (well texturing goes wrong sometimes)."

If Volca is capiable of Loading up the maps. Then the engine is as good as made.

The Only thing which prevents anyone from making the dark engine, is knowing how to load the maps and all the other files. Includeing the scripts.

If Volca can do this. Then all that needs to be made is the engine itself.

Even if the engine itself is diffrent.

All the Engine itself is doing, Is drawning and Simulating the world.

The Engine reads the data from the map. And then uses that data to display the world.

The OM's or Fan Made Mission will never 'Break' the engine. Or cause a bug or errror. The only way this will happen is if the maps were read wrong.

So i guess all im saying is, A dark engine remake is completly possiable if the data structor of the maps are known.

I know this would be illegal, but if one of the Devs/programmers from the Dark Engine team would Anonymously send Volca the Data Structor to the map files and everything was kept on the Down-Low. Then a new dark engine rewrite is completly possiable based on the skill of the person making the 3d engine for it .

I think you 'might' be simplifying the whole process...just a little bit.

LOL

You just have to ...

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    I think you 'might' be simplifying the whole process...just a little bit.
    I never said it was simple

In fact it will be alot of hard work.

I just wanted to make clear that it is possiable. And yes it will be alot of hard work.

ZylonBane
    You'll forgive us if we don't enthusiastically accept such optimistic technical pronouncements from someone who can't even spell the name of their own state.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    ... from someone who can't even spell the name of their own state.
    Or much else, for that matter.

I like that possiable spelling. I always wonder how a native english speaker would speak this. I suppose it would be something like
    poss-i-able.

ZylonBane
    Witness the power of this fully possi-abled battle station!

Always good to see your continued optimism for projects of any kind for any game on any system Zylon.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann
    Always good to see your continued optimism for projects of any kind for any game on any system Zylon.
    You just dug up a five month old post to say that?

LOL

Does a statement from five months ago even qualify for a comment about 'continued' optimism?

I'm not sure the comment deserved attention 5 seconds after it was posted.

Since there are sings of activity here....:

The project continues to exist, at least for me... I had not much free time the last two months, so there was no visible activity...

Anyways, I continue my work.

I had to rewrite the whole project to fit into ogre3d (level display works), and now I'm in the process of understanding the .bin format to implement in-game objects.

I understand that realisation of this seems unrealistic and over-optimistic (sure it is big), but I'll see if it can be done later on, when the code will actually do something more than display.

It is a pity that the project has so little interest. Maybe it is believed to be redundant or too compex, I don't know.
    Last edited by Volca; 17th May 2006 at 08:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Volca
    It is a pity that the project has so little interest. Maybe it is believed to be redundant or too compex, I don't know.
    It's more likely that the community has developed the attitude of, "we'll believe it when we see it", and given some of the 'pie in the sky' projects that have come through here, without having a clue what they were talking about, you can't blame them.

That's not to say this projects fits into that category, but until the community sees that a solid foundation has been accomplished, it's going to have a tough time investing in it.

We were lucky with The Dark Mod, more people gravitated towards it than is the norm I think. In one sense, our goals were more realistic than some of the more recent 'total conversion' projects in that we were creating our toolset first and would later consider making a campaign.

I'm sure when people see that your project isn't fading away, they will come on board. It's hard to continue working without support from those you hope to benefit, but stick to it...they'll come around. If you believe in what you're doing...then others will begin to believe too.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    We were lucky with The Dark Mod, more people gravitated towards it than is the norm I think.
    Not really. TDM was met with the same suspicion. This attitude only started to change, because our PR work included constant updates as to the progress, and we are still here and working on it. And after about two years of work we can show appropriate progress.

I'm sure when people see that your project isn't fading away, they will come on board. It's hard to continue working without support from those you hope to benefit, but stick to it...they'll come around. If you believe in what you're doing...then others will begin to believe too.
    Later they will cheer you. Whatever that means to you ...

This project is a lot more ambitious than the Dark Mod, since it requires an entire engine to be written, including rendering, BSP processing, physics and so on, while TDM only requires Thief-style elements to be added into an already-powerful game engine.

But you forgot some things... There is many open-source physics engines and tutorials like "how to make parallax-mapping" in Internet. If that guy likes what he does, and time would be on his side, then he make some success. You must just assist him.
    Volca, I beleve that you can do something really cool!

Thanks for the replies!

I sure hope to reuse some physics engine (there are X alternatives for this, it will need some stability testing, mainly for crate stacking to be nice) - Newton/ODE (?)

The audio part will hopefully use some pre-made API too (I'm not sure if the wav files use a special codec). OpenAL (?) not sure here.

I understand that people will more likely help when they see effort and progress.

So far, i was able to achieve this:
    I decomposed the BSP and cell+portal structures of the map, and now use it to display the level. It could use some optimisation, but works nicely most of the time.

I had a success calling script initialisation function (the osm files are win32 dll) under linux, although there are quite some interfaces to implement to let them integrate and work with the engine. These osm files do much of the in-game logic and function.

Non-AI objects were loaded and displayed in the previous version (the one that sits in the CVS on sourceforge). Now I'm working on the ogre loader for these meshes (including AI ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Volca
    I had a success calling script initialisation function (the osm files are win32 dll) under linux, although there are quite some interfaces to implement to let them integrate and work with the engine. These osm files do much of the in-game logic and function.
    If your "open" engine relies on calling original Thief DLLs to function, it is not really open.

You could of course use the DLLs for learning purposes, and eventually replace them with your own code.

OrbWeaver, I think he means that he opened OSM files, which used for describing interaction of player, objectives and other stuff on mission. Not really engine DLLs. Am I right?

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328 ... LastLast