TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 17 1234561116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unforeseen Consequences Project

The Unforeseen Consequences Project

"As a big fan of all the Thief games I was very disheartened when I heard that Thief would be no more following Thief: DS. I felt that there was at least one area that remained unexplored which could provide some great stories and a new campaign."

Unforeseen Consequences takes you on the journey that never should have been. Terrible Powers have been activated and with them the downfall of the city has begun. As natural disasters overrun the city, the last remaining Watchers, previously relying on the power provided by the hieroglyphs must turn to the skills of a new Thief to help restore the city and the Watchers back to their former glory.

Showcasing the powerful DOOM 3 engine through the astonishing work of The Dark MOD, Unforeseen Consequences will take you through the mansions of the wealthy, the industrial estates of the Builders, the sanctuaries of the Pagans and into the tombs of the undead.

Visit our project website: http://unforeseen.50webs.com
    Visit our project forums: http://www.hosted-forum.com/index.ph...did=unforeseen
    Last edited by Kingers; 5th Jan 2006 at 08:09.

ZylonBane
    Hey, didn't you already make the EXACT SAME ANNOUNCEMENT in another thread?

Attention-whore much?

No we closed the other thread and created this new one.

ZylonBane
    So you're saying you've never announced this FM before now?

Woah... deja vu.

I accidently zombified our project's thread.

So now this thread is going to suffer the same fate . . . You really should expect this kind of stuff by now

I wasn't going to say, but I'd also quite like to know what this thread is contributing to Theif General that the other 3 recent Unforseen Consequences posts havn't been able to deliver...

Which makes me feel quite the meanie pants. It's not that I'm not interested in hearing about teh project or that I don't wish you well, but ffs - don't be rude. These threads arn't free ya know. There are 40 threads on the Thief Gen front page - currently you're occupying 10% of them. Perhaps you could get back to the original thread - it'll soon get back on topic when there's actual new content and news in it. Also, I was quite enjoying the zombies.

(ps. Can I be your official Burrick consultant. There are Burricks in the Dark Mod - right?)

(pps. *belch*)
    Last edited by jay pettitt; 2nd Jan 2006 at 16:52.

How do you close a thread without the involvement of an administrator or moderator?

I was rather interested in this project to begin with, but I see much repetetive talk, and little results so far. What I do see looks very good (of course it does, you are using the pre-release of Dark Mod). I will say that I see you have the support of some of the Dark Mod team, so I won't write this off yet...

I think you are taking all this a bit too seriously though.
    Last edited by kamyk; 2nd Jan 2006 at 17:24.

ZylonBane
    But Jay, this is IMPORTANT. Look at the banner, man! I said look at the banner!! "A Thief Inspired Dark MOD project". Bloody hell man, that's what I've been saying all along... that's WHAT the Dark MOD (yeah "MOD" in all-caps because it's that imporant!) has been missing since the start-- a little Thief inspiration. And Unforseen Consequences is going TO fix that! Bring some Thief inspiration into THE Dark MOD!

Yeah!

Here's an idea, Kingers. Rather than cluttering up ThiefGen, why not post your threads to the official TDM boards? They'll be more on-topic there.
    .j.
    D Jeremy Brown - Black-hearted taffer, underworked editor and Karaoke War-god.

Anything not nailed down is mine.
    Anything that can be pried loose is
    by definition not nailed down.

Here's an idea. Everyone show a little compassion and restraint. What is the point in taking the piss out of someone for something so trivial? Better yet, volunteer if you want to see some better results. Up until a week or so ago, Kingers was running a one man show. I think he's done a pretty good job trying to keep the damn thing afloat by himself. If you want instant gratification, go masturbate. I expected better from the Thief community.

Hear hear. This community was built on mutual support. Without that there would be no Dark Mod, no Hammerite Imperium, and no slew of FMs dribbling from the pores of this forum month after month.

Be thankful that there are people like Kingers trying to get such projects off the ground, for people like him have worked hard to entertain you and crafted this fantasy world you enjoy so much. I haven't seen Solabusca, ZylonBane or jay pettit get off their ego expanded butts and offer any such service.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    If you want instant gratification, go masturbate.
    This is exactly the advice Kingers should take. This thread serves no purpose. It's just more "Hey everybody! Look at me now! Look at meeeeee!".

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    This is exactly the advice Kingers should take. This thread serves no purpose. It's just more "Hey everybody! Look at me now! Look at meeeeee!".
    Well. It IS a kind of an unlucky situation we have at the moment, but that is under no conditions an invitation to start making brainless replies like an idiot would make.
    ZylonBane, I consider you as pretty indelicate.

Here's an idea. Everyone show a little compassion and restraint. What is the point in taking the piss out of someone for something so trivial? Better yet, volunteer if you want to see some better results. Up until a week or so ago, Kingers was running a one man show. I think he's done a pretty good job trying to keep the damn thing afloat by himself. If you want instant gratification, go masturbate. I expected better from the Thief community.
    I've been supportive, New Horizon. This is my first comment, one way or the other, on Kingers' project. I haven't jumped down his throat about anything. But opening a second, identical thread announcing/promoting your project when the first one is on the front page is excessive, regardless of how much thread-drift you suffer. Will Kingers now declare this thread dead and open a new one?

Thread-drift is part and parcel of internet discussion.

I expected better from the Thief community.
    Why? I have heard about how supportive this place USED to be, but when I showed up here no one particularly threw their arms out to me, and I'm not even making grandoise claims. Out of 13,680 members, I count myself lucky to have 10 that even answer my questions politely, if at all. I have a great deal of respect for you, as you are one of the few people here who actually made me feel like sticking around this forum, but if you hadn't noticed lately this place is now a vent of cynicism, and ignorance. Last week a promising new FMer was run off by an older, and respected member for no better reason I can determine other than crankiness.

If I weren't dead set on making Thief FMs, I wouldn't even bother with this place. Maybe I'd occasionally PM a person or two who have proven to me that they aren't like the majority of the lot here...

I would agree with you, and I believe in being helpful and supportive, but I got verbally slapped here for doing just that. So I am just keeping my head down, and doing my modding, and when I have something worth showing people, then maybe I'll open my mouth about how awesome my project is going to be. Otherwise, I expect that I would recieve exactly the same reactions. Sad, but seems to be the way it is here. (Hell, I'll probably get flamed just for saying what I just have).

Hey!

I've enjoyed our interactions!!!

.j.

Moderator and Priest
    Multiple recruiting threads aside, the dark mod started out somewhat similarly. What with Fingernail just popping in one day and proclaiming "HEY GUYS! DOOM 3 ENGINE ROCKS! LETS MAKE A MOD, K?", and those of us that eventually becamed the hardened, jaded, and emotionally deadened members of the team counterproclaimed "HELL YEAH! I AM SO IN ON THAT ACTION! LETS DO IT, DOODS!"

It's not exactly like we all came together in a dignified and professional manner, but despite that we still managed to come together and do a whole helluva lot. I won't discount Unforeseen Consequences offhand til I have a solid reason to do so.

Yes, this forum is becoming a festering pit of self loathing jerks. The answer is to wrap up warm in your thickest skin and ignore their drivel. If they get their kicks from trying to belittle others on the forum of a fringy fantasy computer game there's something wrong with them, not you.

It doesn't really matter if the community doesn't support your mod. You put the effort into the mod because you want to, for fun, not to please anyone else. The Hammerite Imperium has gained little support but we carry on because we enjoy it, even though DromEd pushes us to the brink of madness. I actually had a dream about placing AI patrol routes last night.

ZylonBane
    Oh get off your high self-pity horse. It's really quite simple:

Announcement with nothing to show = doubt and derision
    Announcement with something to show = admiration and encouragement

What we're seeing here is a sterling example of the former. The annoucement of, for example, SS2 Rebirth, was met with the latter. That's just how these things work. Human nature. Deal with it.

And this much I have to agree with. Especially when the announcement has been posted repeatedly.

What we're seeing here is a sterling example of the former. The annoucement of, for example, SS2 Rebirth, was met with the latter. That's just how these things work. Human nature. Deal with it.
    Why should Kingers value your opinion then, since you've created nothing of value yourself in this field to prove that your judgement is worth the internet space it's flagrantly vomited upon?

Derision of another's efforts having attempted something of value yourself = authority.
    Derision of another's efforts having attempted nothing yourself = complainer.

This isn't human nature, it's just the nature of internet forums, where some smug patrons try their best to look big behind an anonymous mask.

Kingers is obviously not just announcing this campaign for attention or he wouldn't have bothered creating a website, forum and assembling a team. It's really quite simple.

Fair enough. But I'm sure you and Renz will remember The Dark Mod getting a fair roasting from mincing around Thief Gen like it owned the place. Filling teh fora up with Dark Mod self publicity just resulted in a fairly broad section of the thief fandom adopting a fuck off dark mod posture - which is silly, because Dark Mod is pretty cool when you think about it.

Sorry Kingers, Kick in the teeth not intended. Genuinely wishing the project well, and looking forward to hearing plenty more about it. Trust me though; many threads != happy thief fans. But you probably know that by now.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsen
    Why should Kingers value your opinion then, since you've created nothing of value yourself in this field to prove that your judgement is worth the internet space it's flagrantly vomited upon?
    You're right, I really ought to try my hand at creating something for the community one of these days.
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

Moderator and Priest
    DARKMOD: IT'S FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!

And Mac, I'm not exactly defending ZB's attitude here, but I think he is (or was) fairly active in the System Shock 2 editing scene. So he has done something of merit.

Edit: notice the clever placement of sig action above.

Page 1 of 17 1234561116 ... LastLast