TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist 1.4.1 and T3EnhancED Thread

Yeah, I had played some T3 Fm's not long ago. I do have dual core now too, but I played those missions on this machine.

Now T3 won't play that I've uninstalled min proj, it does the smae intro skip.

I'll look for that dual core stuff again. Thanks

USB controllers also caused this.

Sword play

Hi,

can we have sword play in TDS in the Minimalist Mod. Its a pity to see swords lying around and can't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by muttonshop View Post
    Hi,

can we have sword play in TDS in the Minimalist Mod. Its a pity to see swords lying around and can't use them.
    It's not possible to add swordplay to the Thief 3 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    It's not possible to add swordplay to the Thief 3 engine.

wish we could make some changes (i have some more wishes to take the game to a new level)

It's even ridiculous to imagine someone climbing walls and crouching through tunnels with a quiver and a bowcase (which is – as I tested myself – the best way to carry a little horsebow on your back). A sword would be worse and just for nostalgic reasons...

But another question to New Horizon (no, not the T3EnhancEd this time ): I just replaced my original Thief3Edit Playeranims...ini with the MP-modified (as I hope) one, but I could not recognize any improvements in the game. Did you somewhere name a list where I can find in which files the basic MP improvements are done or could you please tell me?

Sorry, this might sound confusing, but I'm slowly tired.

I'm moving this here so the PSA thread remains rather clean:
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    I didn't? Sorry about that. I thought I did reply. That's the only file I have left at this point I think. Did you try downloading it again? It may have gotten corrupted in the download, or if it got corrupted during upload I'll try uploading it again. I've tested it here and it's not corrupted on my end. There were some other benefits to using T3EnhancEd as I had managed to get all the sounds to preview in the sound browser, and I eliminated some texture redundancies...I can't remember the full list of things I ended up over hauling, but it was extensive.
    Yes, I grabbed it twice and always had the same error. I even tried some archive de-compiler which crashed as well.

Getting rid of the Textures folder is quite simple, but I have no idea about the sound thing now. Here's the "old list" you sent me:
    Buttons removed from books/ pages - simple expansion of the active button area on either side of the book. Just click on either side of the page/book to turn forward or back.

Classic Hud - love it or hate it, I brought it back because I believe it belongs here. It's as much a part of Thief as stealing.

Loot Shimmer - Replaces Loot Glimmer. Not as noticable from longer distances.

Wall Hug Bug - Fix included of course

Fatigue limited to overweight and drunk - For Gameplay balance.

Holy Water Arrows - A mix of classic and new. You can carry them in inventory now. They no longer time out.

Inventory Keys - No more automatic opening of doors

Inventory Lock Picks - Doors can be pickable or unpickable. You as the FM author decide.

Inventory Books - another nice community fix

Classic Sounds - Like sitting in front of the fireplace at home, some of the original sounds just feel good.

Edible food - A bit more world interactivity

Auto Blackjack - Disabled

Xbox/ PC texture folders merged to save space - separate folders contained some overlap. All file paths now point to the pctextures folder.

Minor reorganization of Trigger Scripts - mainly addition of T3EnhancED scripts.
    T3EnhancEd scripts.

Sounds have been extracted and put into folders. Dummy .wav files created to allow proper rebuilding of schema meta files.

Player movement tweaks Modified Static Mesh Browser

By Default T3EnhancED will run the game in windowed mode with sound when you press the 'joystick' key. To play fullscreen with the xbreboot option (included) You will need to alter the user.ini

There are likely some minor adjustments here and there that I have forgotten, but they wouldn't be noticable as they were just tightening things up.
    Left aside the installing issue which doesn't allow to "add" any of these new features, there should IMHO also be the ability to chose. While there should be tutorials for holy water arrows and lockable doors etc. scattered across the forum, the really MP-related tweaking things are even more obscure. ShadowSneaker and my attempts to get your MP's movement tweaks (especially Garrett turning where he stands and not walking this little circle) have proofed to be not groundbreaking yet.

Hmmm. I'll have to upload it again. Sorry.

The Minimalist Project is really wonderful in a lot of ways, and I don't know if it will ever be updated, but there are some things about it I wish were optional.

First of all, in the first two games you could bop someone with your blackjack pretty much anywhere and down they'd go. In the third, obviously you see Garrett raise his arm so you know if you're going to be successful or not. In my opinion, this is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. The mod gets rid of the animation but doesn't change the mechanic so about 4/5ths of the time my blackjack smacks the guard in the back of the neck and he turns around and sticks a sword in my eye. This is not a good thing.

Second, when I loaded up Thief 2 for the first time back in the day, I was disappointed they didn't add a visual effect when you zoomed in with Garrett's eye. It seemed like a no-brainer, but I assumed that it was one of the many things they didn't have the time or money for. The mod gets rid of it for essentially no reason other than it wasn't in 2, which is sad because it's a great bit of lore.

Third, getting rid of the circles takes the decent lockpicking minigame and makes it fantastic, in my opinion. Much more challenging and nail-biting. However, if you hadn't played 3 extensively already, it would be essentially impossible. This really needs to be optional so people who are playing it for the first time have a ghost of a chance of figuring out what's going on. Especially with Thief 4 in the works, a lot more new people might be getting on board.

It is what it is and won't be updated anymore. My reasons are both selfish and practical.

The selfish part, I wanted to create a mod that would, partially, recreate the feel of T1/2. The practical aspect is that it's just not that easy to make a lot of these changes optional, as a good majority of the changes have to be compiled into the T3Gamesys file. What that means is that I would have to build multiple gamesys files with different configurations and package them in the installer. I could take the most often requested features and build a custom gamesys just for that, but I'm not going to because I stand firmly behind what the project is. It's just not meant to be a 'play it your way' app, it's a specific vision that I wanted to deliver.

I disagree about the circles in the lockpicking mode. Mainly because the first thing I did with my game was remove them....because they were redundant. All the feedback you need is visible in the movement of the hands.

I hope you can still enjoy it all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sethL View Post
    The Minimalist Project is really wonderful in a lot of ways, and I don't know if it will ever be updated, but there are some things about it I wish were optional.

First of all, in the first two games you could bop someone with your blackjack pretty much anywhere and down they'd go. In the third, obviously you see Garrett raise his arm so you know if you're going to be successful or not. In my opinion, this is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. The mod gets rid of the animation but doesn't change the mechanic so about 4/5ths of the time my blackjack smacks the guard in the back of the neck and he turns around and sticks a sword in my eye. This is not a good thing.

Second, when I loaded up Thief 2 for the first time back in the day, I was disappointed they didn't add a visual effect when you zoomed in with Garrett's eye. It seemed like a no-brainer, but I assumed that it was one of the many things they didn't have the time or money for. The mod gets rid of it for essentially no reason other than it wasn't in 2, which is sad because it's a great bit of lore.

Third, getting rid of the circles takes the decent lockpicking minigame and makes it fantastic, in my opinion. Much more challenging and nail-biting. However, if you hadn't played 3 extensively already, it would be essentially impossible. This really needs to be optional so people who are playing it for the first time have a ghost of a chance of figuring out what's going on. Especially with Thief 4 in the works, a lot more new people might be getting on board.

It's a great project in many ways, and I understand you're done with it, but I have to disagree pretty strongly about the lockpicking.

The hands don't move in a circular motion. Anyone who hasn't played the game already will essentially be reduced to moving the mouse about at random and hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sethL View Post
    The hands don't move in a circular motion. Anyone who hasn't played the game already will essentially be reduced to moving the mouse about at random and hoping for the best.
    That's the point though...the circles mislead you to believe you have to move in a circular motion, they're inaccurate. You pretty much only have to move from left to right and when you hit the sweet spot, the hands go into position to let you know you've hit the spot....and you also hear the sound. The circles complicate matters.

jtr7
    I get what you're asking, you just need to ask it in the appropriate forum over here:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Minimalist 1 4 1 and T3EnhancED Thread

Thank you for the quick reply

I have updated to Mambo 4.6.5 but the problem still persists. The Save and Close work buttons work fine for static content, but if I try to edit something like a news item, they dont do anything.

All of the solutions in the "Troubleshooting the WYSIWYG Editor" thread did not work, although they were helpful in solving another problem I had - thank you for posting them

Any other ideas you have would be appreciated.

jtr7
    Okay, what happened to the post I was responding to, and who is skolapper (with only one post) responding to?

Moved post and Spambot, eh?

Hello, I was wondering if someone could send me a link to some images of game play with this mod installed. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdemon6666 View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could send me a link to some images of game play with this mod installed. Thank you for your time.
    You won't really get much out of the screen shots. Essentially, the hud looks more like the T1/2 hud. The gameplay changes would need to be experienced. I don't have any of my old screen shots. I'm sure if you google it, something will come up.

So I had a little play with this and the things I like are really just the aethsetic side of things, I'm not keen on the changes to diffculty.

I'm not a very skillful thief so I have a hard time playing on Expert.

But for those serious thieves, this really is a wonderful mod. I'm really impressed with the amount of work that has gone into it.

So how possible is it to just have the beautiful HUD and fonts? Those are the features I'm more interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoe View Post
    So I had a little play with this and the things I like are really just the aethsetic side of things, I'm not keen on the changes to diffculty.

I'm not a very skillful thief so I have a hard time playing on Expert.

But for those serious thieves, this really is a wonderful mod. I'm really impressed with the amount of work that has gone into it.

So how possible is it to just have the beautiful HUD and fonts? Those are the features I'm more interested in.
    I've been toying around with just releasing a scaled down version...with mainly hud and font changes.

Can't find my source files though, been a few years, so I might have to start from scratch. Still have most of my notes in a book somewhere though.

Joe, try... copying the T3Default.ini, T3Ui.ini from the \system\ folder and the fonts from CONTENT\T3\PC Textures\Fonts or ~\Dynamically Loaded when the MP is installed (or open the exe with some unpacker tool). This should include the HUD and fonts AFAIK (maybe still the health shield texture), but there's probably a bit of messing around with the T3Default.ini because it contains a lot more stuff. I've included the fonts for my FM install and I think it was a lot of adjusting the row numbers etc., but I didn't change the HUD. You could take a look at the large number of ini tweaks for TDS (didn't someone say TDS wasn't easily moddable?) to find the right places to look when dealing with the MP files.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    (didn't someone say TDS wasn't easily moddable?)
    Comparably, it isn't. lol

Well, I never got the impression that you could change the HUD or AI awareness in TDP/TMA with ini files.

Sorry for the necromancy, but...

I've dusted the 'old' Thief 3 discs and installed it. Works great! But I've got some doubts (and problems)

Do the holy water arrows act as a 'one-hit-kill' or you will need more than one to down a undead?

And... So far, the blackjacking mechanics are a bit of 'not working'. Takes about three attempts to knockout a baddie. Is there any way to revert to the 'classic' Thief 3 blackjacking? I prefer if there is a way to make the new mechanic work, though.

There are holy water arrows in the MP?

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    There are holy water arrows in the MP?
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    (...) The holy water potions can no longer be tossed on the ground. (side effect of having to make them an inventory consumable) When the player 'uses' the vial...it is applied to 3 'water arrows', which transforms them into Holy Water Arrows. You will actually see 3 water arrows disappear from your inventory and 3 Holy water arrows appear. The scripting checks to make sure you have 3 arrows, so if you only have 2..then you will lose 2...same with 1. If you have 0, then you have just wasted a vial of holy water.
    Sounds like it. Didn't reach the Abysmal Gale to be 100% sure though.
    Last edited by Brazilian Taffer; 9th May 2010 at 08:44. Reason: Boredom

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast