TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: MY Thief 4

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2005
    Location: Not Kansas
    The only eggs I remember were the Frogbeast eggs. Love throwing them at the guards, but kind of felt sorry for the little beasties.

    Still don't like guns in Thief games, tho, regardless of what they fire. Rather takes all the fun out of it for me. If I want a game with weapons other than bows & swords, I'll go play one, just don't put them in Thief, please.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: Germany
    Actually you could see them fly. The robots shot exploding grenades and I think the cannons did as well. There were other types thought that shot arrows. If you positioned yourself correctly, you could use them to replenish your broadheads.

  3. #28
    Previously Important
    Registered: Nov 1999
    Location: Caer Weasel, Uelekevu
    Some of the Hotel guards in T2x had one-shot, wildly-inaccurate, very-dangerous-to-operate pistols. Obviously brand-new technology with some serious bugs in the design still.

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2004
    Location: Does it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia
    The only eggs I remember were the Frogbeast eggs. Love throwing them at the guards, but kind of felt sorry for the little beasties.
    Oh, and Spider Eggs in Thief X2. I always felt uneasy carrying those around, just because the spiders in the Thief games scare me more then anything else. It's those damn noising they make. The 'click click click' as they walk, and the sound when they spot you, and the hissing... *shudders*

  5. #30
    Member
    Registered: May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man
    Some of the Hotel guards in T2x had one-shot, wildly-inaccurate, very-dangerous-to-operate pistols. Obviously brand-new technology with some serious bugs in the design still.
    Ah yes, I forgot about the pistols.

    I never really considered the Children of Karras, the traps, or the turrets to be guns for some reason.

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Vertigo, DragonSand, Xeen
    The footsteps of spiders never scared me. What scared me was when their footsteps increased in speed! That was always a frightening sound, because it meant I was busted and had better start moving.

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2004
    Location: Los Angeles, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man
    Some of the Hotel guards in T2x had one-shot, wildly-inaccurate, very-dangerous-to-operate pistols. Obviously brand-new technology with some serious bugs in the design still.
    Like hell they were innacurate, I was wandering around outside, saw a guard, got spotted, pulled out my sword and went "FACE ME IN COMBAT FOOL!"

    I promptly saw my health go down with a loud 'bang.'

  8. #33
    Some of the Hotel guards in T2x had one-shot, wildly-inaccurate, very-dangerous-to-operate pistols. Obviously brand-new technology with some serious bugs in the design still.
    I got the feeling those were flintlock pistols.

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2001
    Location: Scoville
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFlight
    I never really considered the Children of Karras, the traps, or the turrets to be guns for some reason.
    The sound effects indicate that the projectiles are propelled by mechanics rather than combustion.

    Which is odd if you think about it, because the projectiles themselves certainly do make use of it.

  10. #35
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    That's not odd at all though. Explosives were around long before the means to incorporate them as weapon propellants weren't they?

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2005
    Location: Dortmund, Germany
    I think Flintlock pistols would be allright in thief games. Garrett wouldn't use them anyway because they are far too loud, but guards could and alarm the others by the way. That would be interesting for gameplay anyway, because you would really have to make sure that no pistolguard spottes you...

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2005
    Thief 4 was in preproduction for a little while before Ion Storm was shut down. It's definitely gone now though. Some Thief fans might have loved it, many probably would have hated it because of its differences from the previous titles. I thought it could have been cool, but I guess we'll never know

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2004
    Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt
    Thief 4 was in preproduction for a little while before Ion Storm was shut down. It's definitely gone now though. Some Thief fans might have loved it, many probably would have hated it because of its differences from the previous titles. I thought it could have been cool, but I guess we'll never know
    Yes, I remember hearing that it was going to be pushed ahead into a different time in history or something? I'm sure people would love to hear the background, even though they may not like the changes that were proposed.

  14. #39
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2001
    Location: cesspool
    Something must be wrong with Thief series, is it cursed by the Builder?
    Everytime some new addition is planning for the series, there is some cataclismic event for developers. Other, much worse games have official addons and constantly are developed further + game companies that make those crappy games bloom and smell good

  15. #40
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Come on Krypt, tell us more about it if you know.

  16. #41
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect
    Come on Krypt, tell us more about it if you know.
    Yeah..... I am curious now, too...

    But keep it to yourself if Garrett is going to have Lazor thingy's and .22 pistols with EMP disablers

  17. #42
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2005
    Well, alright. String up the lynch rope in advance so you can take care of me afterward

    Basically Thief 4 was going to be a retelling of the original games, except set in modern times. It would have modern versions of the same characters from the old games, who's roles would have been translated to modern day parallels. Some of the old maps were going to make a reappearance as well. To be clear, it was not going to be anything like Splinter Cell or similar games. Garrett wasn't going to be turned into a James Bond type of guy with a bunch of gadgets or anything like that. He would still be the dark, sarcastic loner who uses his own skills and ingenuity to do his thieving, not gadgets. I don't think we were even going to let the player use a gun, just simple tools and weapons. The art direction would have been similar to the steampunk from the previous games, just translated to modern times, with the same crowded and dilapidated city streets and such. I guess the Silent Hill series is the closest reference I can think of for what we had in mind for looks, but it would have been pretty different from that too. We were going to somewhat modify the "rules" of the modern world to make them more conducive to the Thief-type stealth game also, and not necessarily realistic. There wouldn't be light switches that anyone can just turn on to reveal you, the enemies wouldn't all have machineguns, there wouldn't be lasers, etc. Basically we were going for a very similar type of gameplay to the original series, just in a twisted steampunkish modern setting.

    It was only in pre-production for about two months before the Ion Storm "end times" began, so the concept never got much more fleshed out than this, but that's basically what it would have been.

  18. #43
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2005
    Location: Dortmund, Germany
    Everybody will probably take out his dagger now, but I think I would have played that game. Sure it wount be the real oldschool thief anymore and neither as good as the originals, but it really seems to be the same gameplay and perhaps they could have created a nice atmosphere too.

    But lucky anyway that thief 4 woun't be released, because otherwise very many people would probably turn their backs to Ion storm. Poor company...

  19. #44
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    Location: Richmond
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt
    Well, alright. String up the lynch rope in advance so you can take care of me afterward

    Basically Thief 4 was going to be a retelling of the original games, except set in modern times. It would have modern versions of the same characters from the old games, who's roles would have been translated to modern day parallels. Some of the old maps were going to make a reappearance as well. To be clear, it was not going to be anything like Splinter Cell or similar games. Garrett wasn't going to be turned into a James Bond type of guy with a bunch of gadgets or anything like that. He would still be the dark, sarcastic loner who uses his own skills and ingenuity to do his thieving, not gadgets. I don't think we were even going to let the player use a gun, just simple tools and weapons. The art direction would have been similar to the steampunk from the previous games, just translated to modern times, with the same crowded and dilapidated city streets and such. I guess the Silent Hill series is the closest reference I can think of for what we had in mind for looks, but it would have been pretty different from that too. We were going to somewhat modify the "rules" of the modern world to make them more conducive to the Thief-type stealth game also, and not necessarily realistic. There wouldn't be light switches that anyone can just turn on to reveal you, the enemies wouldn't all have machineguns, there wouldn't be lasers, etc. Basically we were going for a very similar type of gameplay to the original series, just in a twisted steampunkish modern setting.

    It was only in pre-production for about two months before the Ion Storm "end times" began, so the concept never got much more fleshed out than this, but that's basically what it would have been.
    Ah....So it's Thief with shiny metal floors, some torches, and middle age weaponry......

    I can get that by visiting Mechanist buildings in Thief II, thank you very much

  20. #45
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2004
    Location: Does it matter?
    The way you described it, it actually doesn't sound too bad. Still, I think I'd prefer the 'middle ages' time period.

    By the way, did you get far enough into pre-production to toss around any ideas about what engine would have been used?

  21. #46
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Smith
    By the way, did you get far enough into pre-production to toss around any ideas about what engine would have been used?
    It would have used the same engine as T3, but we were hoping it would be optimized a bit more and get some new features.

  22. #47
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2004
    Location: Does it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt
    It would have used the same engine as T3, but we were hoping it would be optimized a bit more and get some new features.
    Why would Thief 3's engine even be considered for use again though? With all it's bugs, glitches, and horrible optimization, you'd have to spend a lot of time just cleaning and fixing it up before you even added anything to it. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just license another engine?

  23. #48
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Vertigo, DragonSand, Xeen
    Which leads to the next question.

    Would it have been "Thief IV" for PC only? Or would it have been Thief: More Shadows or whatnot for PC and Console?

    Either way, as long as it was the fourth and apparently *still* only brand of First Person Sneaker out there, I would have bought it and would have given my full attention at least one time.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2005
    Don't ask me, I wasn't the one making that decision I guess they figured that since we had put so much work into making our own engine and had learned a lot from the last games that we could do a lot more with it the next time around. I would have preferred using Unreal (the actual engine and not just the editor) or Doom3 though.

  25. #50
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2004
    Location: Does it matter?
    I'm surprised another Thief game was being considered at all. I was under the impression that Thief III didn't do all that well in the market.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •