TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Stock Resource Fan Mission Contest!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Small Stock Resource Fan Mission Contest!

It's on, starting today! Hope nobody cheated and got a head start! I dropped the ideas of a theme requirement and a common starting room, in favor of encouraging creativity. Surely the non-custom resource requirement is enough of a constraint.

Full info is posted on my website, and I also updated mission in progress and added one new object (well, new object textures anyway).

If anyone needs clarification on any rules, or if I omitted some detail, post it here or PM me.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

What about custom schemas that use original wav files?

Do things like blue-rooms have to be within the size boundry?
    Last edited by R Soul; 6th Feb 2006 at 15:27.

Technically speaking, custom schemas come under the heading of custom gamesys.

Technically, that's correct, so custom schemas are fine.

Sorry I didn't clarify the blueroom policy - everything should be in the 500k cubic unit area brush. I'll update the website tonight.

Do you think eveyone entering the contest should use a generic readme.txt file, so that no one's identity is discovered by the style of their own readme.txt?

yandros probably should type a basic anonymous readme format for everyone to use.

What's the mathmatical formula for figuring out the volume, so those who can't (not me of course ) will know how to get a different sized cube than the 2 stated size possiblities.

You know, I was just going to ask the same thing. I'm going to see if I can squeeze in DromEd time in between writing, hopefully I can get something done.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    single cubic boundary? i can't for instance build an "L" shaped world if the total volume of that world is under 500,000

Well, I was just trying to make it easier on myself to load up the mission and be able to glance at it and know it was within the limit, without having to do a bunch of calculations. But since I'm a math major, I guess I can handle it if someone wants to do an L or other slightly non-cuboid shape. Just be sure each major part of your mission is enclosed in an area brush and they all add up to less than the limit.

Schwaa, TNT - the volume of a rectangular solid is just length x width x height. So an 80x100x60 area brush is 80 x 100 = 8,000 x 60 = 480,000 cubic units.
    Last edited by Yandros; 6th Feb 2006 at 23:12.

I was pretty good at math back in Highschool. man that was so long ago. Anyway, i should've known that.

I've updated the contest page a little, mainly just tweaked the Size Limit section to reflect the inclusion of blue rooms and the multiple area brush point of Otto's.

I might as well add this as it's early on and you seem to be tweaking the rules a bit.

Komag got to the point of allowing objects that extend past the boundries. Not blue room objs per see as they would be completely out of bounds.
    but a great example is a fire. Say you want the fire on the floor at the very bottom of the work space. The particles, while being fully enclosed with the fire object inside the world will still have a visible half outside the world. That's just how particles work, they are only half as big as they look in Dromed. Also, maybe you want to place a ladder in a 16 foot space but don't want to squish it to fit an 18'er in there so you leave 2 feet hanging out.

Anyway, I think you should allow objs/particles to extend past the bounds and just make the rules "No Terrain" out of bounds, or maybe "No Complete obj" out of bounds. That would force Ai that are telported in to be within the confines somewhere, but that depends o the blue room rules which I haven't looked at yet.

HB's got something planned, the Taffer!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    But since I'm a math major, I guess I can handle it if someone wants to do an L or other slightly non-cuboid shape.
    Slightly non-cuboid shape comming up...

Schwaa, that's a good point, and it was actually me who asked him to allow that in the first place... I'll update the website later this morning.

I should've known that math thing too. Ah well, I tweaked my area brush some, and quickly finished off my story, so I'm definitely going to try for it now. Now nobody has to worry about coming in last anymore, I got that part covered!
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

i thought this was useful, a chart for determining sizes, size on the left and top, where they intersect is the third dimension in whole numbers that keeps you under the limit.

That's cool, Jason! Mind if I link to the image from my website, just till the contest is over?

go right ahead, i'll email you the excel file later.

I want to see a 4x4x31250 entry!

Brrr, not much fun if you're Claustrophobic!

Thief 2: Vent Shaft.

The only objective is to crawl along a really long vent shaft killing small spiders.

Actually, looking at those sizes, i think it's a rather long drop! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Splat!

If you know the lengths of two sides (e.g. depth and width) to figure out the maximum allowable height you just do the following:
    length3 = 500000/(length1 * length2)

(just to be clear to the less mathematical, you do the bit in the brackets first, so multiply the two lenghts, then do 500000 divided by the result)
    Last edited by R Soul; 7th Feb 2006 at 10:28.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast