TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Morrowind a little too generic?

BANNED

Morrowind a little too generic?

Now before everyone bites my head off, I LOVE this game there is no better way to blow a ton of time all exploring the massive area, but I really feel this game needed some more imagination they got all the skills and character based stuff right but come on EVERY Tomb looks the same as well ever "Canal Level" there is hardly any "Status" weapons and Armor, and for the most part the monsters are all pretty generic you seen one Bone Lord youve seen them all. How about some more passionate dialog? More unique "Bosses" and" Special Swords and such...I know you can "Make" your own Hero weapon but it's not the same. Any thoughts?

P.S. the only area in the game I am had trouble with was the Puzzal Canal, what the hell are you suposed to do in it? I reach this flooded room and can see up into an area but there is a force shield that won't let me in?

Sorry to move your thread, but if you wanted an answer...

Oblivion is fixing a lot of the problems you mentioned. From what I've heard, Oblivion still has the same problem with monster diversity (though there are multiple types of the same monsters.) That's not to say it's as bad as Morrowind.

It's true that many of the tombs and caves look the same. It's all up to architecture, I suppose, and they did get pretty creative with the mixing of the parts. It wasn't until playing Morrowind for more than a year that I began to get bored of the repeated architecture, no matter how creatively assembled the pieces were.

Also, Oblivion will have a miniboss in nearly every dungeon you enter. There's a developer quote about this, but I'm too lazy to go rummaging around. Just take my word for it!

And finally, enchanted weapons are going to be greatly decreased in number. That means when you have an enchanted weapon, it's actually going to feel special. And powerful.

For the Puzzle Canal:
    spoiler:
    I'll give you a hint, first. Don't be afraid to take deep risks. Read what you have to do carefully. It has nothing to do with a spell, scroll, or potion of Water Breathing.

If you really, really need to know the answer:
    spoiler:
    Drown yourself. Completely. Once your health reaches zero, it will regenerate and the shield will be gone. You impatient lout! *snickers*

Morrowind.TTLG.com

There are also plenty of artifacts in the game that aren't generic items.

Excellent. I could always tell where I'd already been in Morrowind because I left piles of glass weapons everywhere.

BANNED
    Thanks for the help with the puzzle canal.
    One other thing I hope they change in Oblivian, is monster "Attack" profiles, it is pretty stupid for a rat to be attacking a 50th level adventurer, it should flee in fear, as in most d20 games, that way "Cliff racers" wouldn't get such a bad rap

I think the question there is: Can a rat tell the differance between a level 20 adventurer and a level 1 adventurer? It is just defending its terrortory. If you have ever installed the flee mod then it is the most annoying thing in the world because to get rid of the combat music you have to chase down the enemy and it makes easy enemies easier.
    In other games I would hardly call the fleeing realisitic and with the exception of fear spells, it adds nothing to gameplay.

BANNED
    Pisces,
    I would agree with you, I didn't think it through the consequences, but here is an idea, why not just generate random creatures on the fly, based on character level? Like in Fable, where the "random" monsters get tougher the higher your level.

The sensible solution would be to have wildlife that probably wouldn't be attacking people not attack people unless you do something to upset them. 'Flee' in this case doesn't mean 'start a fight with then run off', it means 'just stay clear of them in the first place'.

For aggressive monsters there's the possibility of an aggro radius style system like WoW, where the distance you have to keep from a monster before you anger it into attacking you is proportional to the difference in level. So a level 50 would have to really bug a low level monster before it attacked them, but a level 5 would be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthenet
    Pisces,
    I would agree with you, I didn't think it through the consequences, but here is an idea, why not just generate random creatures on the fly, based on character level? Like in Fable, where the "random" monsters get tougher the higher your level.
    Levelled lists for creatures are used in Morrowind as well as in Oblivion. But no one wants to end up fighting every creature they meet for five minutes - that's why not all creatures match your level. Similarly, developers don't want all fights to be easy or average, so they have the occasional higher level creature (as a challenge.)

Quote Originally Posted by RyushiBlade
    Levelled lists for creatures are used in Morrowind as well as in Oblivion. But no one wants to end up fighting every creature they meet for five minutes - that's why not all creatures match your level. Similarly, developers don't want all fights to be easy or average, so they have the occasional higher level creature (as a challenge.)
    Another reason they used the levelled creature's like that is to give variety because you are wandering around in the wilderness so it would be pretty silly to have all rats, then all nixhounds, all alits and so on. It adds more creatures onto the list as you gain level and the creature is chosen randomly off that list, so as you get high levels you see on average stronger enemies but rats don't suddenly dissappear all of a sudden and every creature you fight isn't a golden saint but they are still around. Remember that the enemies are high detail animated 3D so take a lot more to build a large variety than in other games.

In oblivion they mentioned somewhere about packs of enemies, now I don't know anything more than that but in BM they had a couple of places where larger packs of wolves would form the higher level you are and so one could theorise that oblivion could might possibly do something similar, but we'll have to wait and see.

They're not all the same. They all have thier unique translation, transformation and rotation matrix!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Myoldnamebroke
    The sensible solution would be to have wildlife that probably wouldn't be attacking people not attack people unless you do something to upset them. 'Flee' in this case doesn't mean 'start a fight with then run off', it means 'just stay clear of them in the first place'.

For aggressive monsters there's the possibility of an aggro radius style system like WoW, where the distance you have to keep from a monster before you anger it into attacking you is proportional to the difference in level. So a level 50 would have to really bug a low level monster before it attacked them, but a level 5 would be in trouble.

I like that idea of an Aggro radius style system, anything has got to be better then as soon as your "detected" you are immediately charged by any Tom, Dick or rat...

To set the AI of creatures based on the player’s level would seem to give creatures more insight than I think they deserve. But if you must, then I suppose you could create several versions of each creature in the construction set adjusting their fight/flight settings for the player’s level (Rat_00, Rat_10, Rat_20, etc.). Then you can edit the leveled lists so that when the player is 10th level and a rat is spawned you get the Rat_20.

Personally, I would not take that approach. I like what SabreGirl accomplished with her Morrowind Ecology Mod suite. The overall aggressiveness of creatures has be tweaked to be more realistic, and Solstheim in particular is not the ‘minefield’ that it normally is. She adds new (mostly passive) creatures. PumaMan also has a mod that reduces the aggressiveness of most creatures with Passive Healthy Wildlife.