TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preview: SSR Contest

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Preview: SSR Contest

With the deadline looming just 36 hours away, I figured it was time to start pimping the contest over here since many of you may not know about it.

About 5 weeks ago, after some debate over format and rules at The Editor's Guild, I announced I was hosting the first SSR (Small Stock Resource) FM Contest. The rules are simple, the missions must be Small (about the size of Komag's Contest 5 missions) and use Stock Resources only (meaning no custom textures, AI or objects). The intent of the stock resource restriction was twofold: a throwback to "the good old days" of FM making when there were no or very few custom resources around, and also to prompt the authors into focusing more on gameplay and story than on creating a beautiful environment. In that regard, this is kind of the opposite of the Beauty Contest that was held last year, although as you'll see below the authors managed to make some incredibly awesome-looking missions even with standard textures.

You can read the full details of the rules at my website (link in sig), and also check out the main contest thread at TEG.

The turnout has been great, I already have 9 missions and expect 3 more by the deadline, so we're looking at a dozen new missions being released to you guys around the end of the week! Also, there are at least 3 other missions I know of (including my own) which won't make the contest but which the authors plan to complete under the contest rules and release when they're ready. The variety of the 9 missions I've seen so far is really amazing - there are several undead missions, several city missions, a hotel caper, a museum heist, a puzzler, and a cavern mission, and all of them are a blast to play!

Let me whet your appetite with a few screens from the missions - there will be three hires screenies from every mission posted on my website once the missions are all ready and the voting instructions complete.

Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

More!

Last edited by Yandros; 16th Mar 2006 at 09:40.

That's great! The screenies look indeed very nice and promising! I'm looking forward to play those missions.

I am an entrant but I will vote if I am allowed to.

I find that I like it when others put up a screenshot of my mission.

Oh crap...looks like I have quite a competition.

wow can't wait! Thanks to everyone who enteres the contest

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer
    Oh crap...looks like I have quite a competition.
    Unlike most contests, in this one I'm going to be strongly encouraging everyone to vote for missions that exhibit strong gameplay and story elements, with architecture and detail being secondary components. That's not to say that a stunning environment doesn't play a factor in gameplay, of course it does - inasmuch as it fosters immersion, depicts the mood of the plot, and makes the events believable - but it's far from the only or even primary consideration in my mind. The basic mission premise, flow of the story, styles of play allowed/encouraged, and quality of readables (since there are no custom ambients or voicework) should be some of the big components when it comes to voting in this contest. But of course all I can do is encourage this in the voters, they're going to vote however they want to, as they should.

That's true Yandros, but atmosphere does play a big role in FM's and will in my vote. It shows how even without all the custom stuff authors can create amazing architecture and moods. Which is actually part of the reason for this contest (in my eyes). I'd better sleep while I still can, because when those FM's are released I won't be getting any!

God, those screenies are nice. I can't wait to play the other missions, I couldn't care less where I place. I learned a lot and improved a lot with this mission, so that's enough for me.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

so hows the sequel to "A Shopping Stopover" coming?

I am now officially in heaven (or will be once all the new FMs are released). Thanks Yandros and all of you darling FM authors!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolf421
    so hows the sequel to "A Shopping Stopover" coming?
    It's going to be pretty heavy duty to do, (the hotel is fully mapped out and textured, but that's maybe 45% of the brushwork ) and I'm wiped out from working on my contest FM, so I'm taking a badly needed break. (I worked non-stop since February 6th, with my only time off being the week I had a fever that peaked at 103.2. ) It's on the back burner for now, I have an idea for a prequel that I want to do. There'll be at least one, maybe two. It depends on whether I can do a Lost City style mission or not . . .

//offtopic:

Another one that has an idea for a Lost City mission ;-) that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror
    It's going to be pretty heavy duty to do, (the hotel is fully mapped out and textured, but that's maybe 45% of the brushwork ) and I'm wiped out from working on my contest FM, so I'm taking a badly needed break. (I worked non-stop since February 6th, with my only time off being the week I had a fever that peaked at 103.2. ) It's on the back burner for now, I have an idea for a prequel that I want to do. There'll be at least one, maybe two. It depends on whether I can do a Lost City style mission or not . . .
    103.2!!! My god! Did you go to the hospital? 4 more degrees and you would have died!

103 degrees is when water boils ;-)

when will they be released

yay !!
    Last edited by Lightningline; 14th Mar 2006 at 17:17.

Probably Friday or Saturday.

How does one decide which to play first?

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Play them in alphabetical order!

Write the fm's in a circle design. Then spin a banana and whichever it points to (I'm assuming the point you peel is the pointer in this) is the one you play first.

For best results Grease it down with crisco first....

OH NO! I can't wait but of course, I have deadlines with uni...and other horrible distractions and my mind feels close to exploding...but I digress! I can't wait! I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Save the best one for last!

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer
    103.2!!! My god! Did you go to the hospital? 4 more degrees and you would have died!
    I slept it off. I would've gone if I still couldn't breathe after I slept, though.

How were the fever induced hallucinations?

Great! I got ideas for more Thief FMs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast