TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: One Final Shiver

The Architect

One Final Shiver

With Skyrim looming and the danger of social ostracism if I don't play it at once, (everyone in the studio will be playing on launch day, and I don't want to have to constantly keep my eyes and ears covered in fear of spoilers :P) I decided it was now or never if I want to ever, ever play Shivering Isles.

So I finally loaded it up and after about two hours I was ready to uninstall it, never to look back. I was hating it. But then I thought for a moment, and gave it one more try. I realized that what I was actually hating was the combat. I've always hated the Oblivion combat, but somehow the combat in SI seemed worse. The enemies all have a ton of hitpoints and they're simply everywhere. So now I am using a console command to kill every enemy I am coming across. Problem solved. I ended up playing it through most of the afternoon and evening, and finally got to see some of the interesting stuff people have been talking about all these years.

Next I may turn off the voice acting. It's getting a little tedious hearing the same three actors trying to do "different" voices. The prince of madness himself is especially hard to listen to.

Other than those issues it really is a great bit of game!

When Oblivion was brand new, I had a blast with it. I got it on launch day and played to completion (80 hours) in 7 days. I immediately restarted with a different race/build and played it again. By the time the GotY shipped it was going south. Shivering Isles was really creative and a ton of fun, but the game was aging horribly even then. Playing it now is just like a fucking step back in time. I can't believe how immersed I was in it 6 years ago because now it is silly to the point of cartoonishness.

I HOPE AND PRAY Skyrim has grown with the times and feels modern. If it feels like a fleshed out Oblivion mod, I am going to pass.

I know I'll get caught up in it. In preparation, I'm starting my Christmas shopping now. I was fascinated by Morrowind and thrilled by Oblivion. To the point where after playing the latter about 4 times, I cracked open the Construction Set and started getting creative with my own homes, castles, dungeon abodes, etc. Only problem is that if I wanted to load all of my architecture mods at the same time I'd need a computer that was capable of running a small airport.

The preview vids I've seen cause me to hope that Skyrim will be all that I was hoping for. And more.

If Bethesda lets me down on this one I'll be sending lots of nasty e-mails to their devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post

If Bethesda lets me down on this one I'll be sending lots of nasty e-mails to their devs.

They won't read them. They'll be too busy counting their money to care.