TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Living Nightmare by John Denison Apr. 6/06

I can't kill him becouse the mission falled.

spoiler:
    Don't kill him by yourself! Let someone else do the dirty work.

The first objective
    spoiler:
    is to activate the turrets. You have about 4-5 minutes to push the button at the top of the tower. Once you do this Mr. Oh Dear Sr. will run out and flee to the front (while saying "I'm worried...")

I just found this mission almost by accident - but what a beautie. Reasonable length so it won't drive you completely insane and destroy your career. Pretty architecture. Lots of loot in interesting places. Innovative beginning (and how!!). Not too much aimless wandering thanks to nice tight clues. And a few extra tricks that haven't been used before. Thank you John.

p.s. I had a record amount of damage taken - especially since I didn't use any healing juice.

Thank you CatAnita. The beginning was really simple. All of the effects are from the original game. The tiny falling fire drops were from the explosive charge used in Return to the Cathedral in Thief I.

I know this is technical, but I'd like to give a small behind-the-scenes description of what happens at the beginning: There are two emitstreamtraps located at each front corner of the hospital property. Each one is emitting a special fire arrow once every 5 seconds. The emitstreamtraps also have a rotate property which makes them sweep east to west and back again. The special fire arrows are just like the regular fire arrows except that when they collide with anything, not only do you see the explosion it normally makes, but it creates two fires, one fireplace smoke, and the BigBigFireDrops. One fire remains where it strikes, and the other falls to the ground. Prior to adding the BigBigFireDrops this effect worked nicely. With the BBFD sometimes the fires are blown away and even turn sideways. This was kinda weird, but I still liked the BBFD especially when they hit the trees and the drops would fall down around the tree, and make sizzling noise when they hit the grass.

Here is a comparison between the foyer of the hospital, and the foyer of the manor in A Servant's Life:

Both of those are the same room. A Servant's Life uses a very early save of Living Nightmare, but extremely modified to look like a manor. A Servant's Life will be out in about two months.

Quote Originally Posted by UliB View Post
    When you have found all the loot in the rooms, you can reach the torc.
    Full spoiler: check the zombies
    I replayed the mission again.
    What's a "torc"? I can't find it in my dictionary ....
    I know how it looks like, because I know where to find it in the game, but for me it's just a sort of necklace made from beads or something
    I've seen it in a lot of missions, but I would like to now what it really is.
    Can someone describe it to me?

Gloria Creep

I guess I should play the other version also ..... but just for now: where are the dice then? I can't remember anymore ..... ermmmm .....
    Last edited by Gloria Creep; 12th Oct 2007 at 20:57. Reason: forgotten domething to ask
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Hi Gloria

The Serpentile torc is the same necklace that you described. It's behind the portculis in the circular room.

The dice are located in a chest in one of the rooms on the east wing.

Yes John, I know:
    That's where I found it.

But WHAT is a Torc then??????????@ It's a necklace .... I now know.

But why isn't in my english diectionary???!
    Has the word "torc" ave another meaning then?!!!
    Does: Torc ...just mean .... necklace?!

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

It's more than just a necklace. It does have a specific style. Here is a link with a very good explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torc

Thanks John !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gloria Creep

John, did you ever release the sequal: a servant's life???
    I can't find it anywhere
    I love to play it now.

This mission was awesome!!! and YES, I did find the Dewdrop dolly.
    A be;ated Thank You for that!

Gloria Creep

Hi Gloria,

you can get "A servant's life" at thiefmissions.

Its a nice mission, but a bit ...uhmmm... different.

Thans UliB
    I'll go and check it out. I guess I never played it

Gloria Creep

Terrific mission, John! The beginning is challenging without being discouraging, great pacing, a lot of fun areas and cool effects! I didn't have to kill anyone myself --
    spoiler:
    once I gulped down the invulnerability postion, I just let the tree beast do all the dirty work for me! heh heh heh The effects of the switch in the torture chamber were a little .

spoiler:
    The anti-grav shaft was worth a few repeat jumps --
    way better than reverse bungie jumping.

Thanks for all the fun!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it Redleaf.

What a cool mission. Full of surprises and neat puzzles. My only problem is I cannot seem to find Oh Dear's Bowl. Looked high & low. Some help please.

If you are in the dining room, walk toward the front of the hospital. As you pass the gate there will be two fancy chairs. Look on one of the chairs.

Thanks so much. I didn't see that bowl until I was on top of it. It was on the floor, under the chair.

I'm about halfway through this at the moment, but I am getting some odd performance issues:

The gold up the tower and the Health potion are an inexhaustable supply, as is the purse on the ledge outside the main door.
    I can make the loot total just by frobbing again and again.

Also, after reading the posts, it seems Mr Oh Dear was supposed to be attacked by an archer in the small compound. In my game he was wandering around the main building being attacked by all the guards and I had to BJ them all to save him before I attempted the tower.

Have I done something out of sequence?
    Last edited by frobbin hood; 19th Feb 2008 at 09:47. Reason: typo

Nevermind. I got it now that I found the walkthru at cheap thief missions.
    Solution: Go out the double doors from the cafeteria. (where the big fireplace is) go left to the west wall. Laying in the grass is the bottle. The diary is in a loft area.

I can't find the bottle.
    I've been looking in what I think is the courtyard. Is it the area with the birdhouse? I've gone down all the ramps in this area and looked for chairs in shadows, but the only chair I've seen is near the birdhouse and there's no bottle or shadow.

I also need the journal. Had it once but must not have saved.
    Last edited by The inscrutable po; 14th Nov 2009 at 23:14.

frobbin hood

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I'm not sure what happened with the loot in your copy of the game. It never behaved that way before. Mr. Oh Dear should not be in the front of the hospital until you climb up the tower and hit the red button. Either way it won't matter. As long as Mr. Oh Dear doesn't die before reaching the crypt then you are ok.

Can anyone tell what changes from "Normal" difficult mode to "Expert" difficult mode?

As far as I can remember, nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    As far as I can remember, nothing changes.
    Thank you John

TreeBeast & dumbass...

I don't want to read too much since I just started, but reading about luring dumbass to the beast, how does that work? He follows me a bit & then all of a sudden he jumps up & runs back to his starting point

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456