TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Oblivion Gates have you shut down?

BANNED

How many Oblivion Gates have you shut down?

Just curious. First character got 7 before I retired him. My new character just hit 10.

16, got tired of seeing repeat gates and beat the game.

Just recently closed my 11th. The trouble was that Oblivion Gates yielded very little profit. My armorer skill was not up to snuff, and the loot from the gates were small (no monsters wore armor, and the weight of the swords limited me to only a few.)

Now that I'm around level 24, the gates are really yielding a nice profit. Plus, my armorer skill is now high enough to repair magical items, so I don't have to spend two or three grand just to repair everything.

(Oh, I always reload my game so I get Sigil Stones that increase my strength. It's maxed out at 187, unless I can find better stuff. Carrying 935 pounds of stuff is great.)

I got most of my good random magic things from oblivion gates (mundane ring(50% resist magicka, 25% spell reflect), ring of perfection(10 to all stats), necklace of swords(+25 blades, 25% reflect damage), ring of iron fist/amulet of axes(same stats as necklace of swords except hand-to-hand/blunt respectively)). Also the 100% resist frost thing.

BANNED
    I REALLY have to be in a certain mood to go through one.

I usually run as fast as I can through them ignoring all the monster in them.

I should try that, their repetitive nature bores me. It's okay when they're new ones (even though the towers are all 90% carbon copies), but I had the same one twice in a row right at the beginning and it really just killed all the interest in them right quick.

Quote Originally Posted by RyushiBlade
    (Oh, I always reload my game so I get Sigil Stones that increase my strength. It's maxed out at 187, unless I can find better stuff. Carrying 935 pounds of stuff is great.)
    Go for the Feather stones instead if you just want to carry more. They are about twice as effective as Strength stones for carrying purposes. Same with Intelligence vs Fortify Magicka stones or Endurance vs Fortify Health, the specialized stone is about twice as good for that purpose.

The Oblivion Gate are all too samey so after the first few I just ran through and grabbed the stone.

A lot of the dungeons are much more interesting. They have bits of story, characters of interest and things to read -- bandits dissapearing and diaries describing mysterious noises, necromancers hiding out, doomed archeological expeditions that've left their notes scattered about the ruins, etc.

Zero! I'm having too much fun doing other things.

I've done two so far, and I have no great desire to do anymore. Are there any real consequences to just ignoring the gates you discover as you're exploring the countryside?

Quote Originally Posted by Malygris
    I've done two so far, and I have no great desire to do anymore. Are there any real consequences to just ignoring the gates you discover as you're exploring the countryside?
    Sadly no.

The consequence will be severe lack of good enchantments

(Stuff like Chameleon 30%, or Spell Absorption 15%, or Magicka +50. Woo mamma. Only in Oblivion)

True tho, done 6 and now that i got all my armor enchanted i dont have that much desire to do more of em. Altho the loot IS kinda good (best i found was a Storm Ring with 100% percent Thunder immunity). You could also decorate your house with the Sigil stones. "So i went into this Oblivion thingie everyone is so afraid of and got me one of them balls because i dont have enough garish crap to stuff in my house"

(you got yourself some balls lol? Yaya, now git! :b)

Ya I followed tucos advice and basically enchanted a full daedric suit with +300 Magicka. Why is enchantment worse then the Sigil Stones? Why do I have no power to change how much +stats/resists/etc? Why can high level items have only one enchantment put on them where drops have more then one (I havent checked can you do this with rings)? In morrowind it was certianly possible to put more then just one but of course then the devs would have to ad the "capacity" numbers to the armor of oblivion.

It sucks that enchantment was nerfed but at the same time its nice that Sigil stones are both 75-100% better and costs ZERO. Why would I want to enchant my cuirass with +24 Magicka (which I think is the max with grand mob soul) when I could enchant +50 for no cost after quickloading a bunch in front of a stone. Sadly you need that much magicka to even cast spells that kill shit and +120 is much worse then +300. It was possible to do in morrowind with just sign of the anatronach (sp?) and mysticism, I loved area of effect absorb health spells.

Oh well, I just use the +magicka armor and then the uber rings and amulets. Oh I also decided to enchant, with sigil stone, a daedric longsword with +25 lightning damage because of course again enchanting your own is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig455
    Oy, you said it. After five they got very very boring. I closed my last one down outside Skingrad, my home city, because it was making the air all nasty and roiling red and I got tired of it. Got some REALLY nice loot from the boss chest at the top of that one! I had a big smile on my face for awhile after.

Sometimes I'll venture into a gate to get ingredients. Spiddal sticks do brew up into a nice poison. I just ran out too so I guess it's time to "get in the mood again."

Disappointed with the sigil stones too. They don't enchant things as nice as I thought they would.

If the Oblivion realms were a bit more varied I think this would be a fun aspect of the game. But they way they built them if you've seen one you've definitely seen them all.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti
    Go for the Feather stones instead if you just want to carry more. They are about twice as effective as Strength stones for carrying purposes. Same with Intelligence vs Fortify Magicka stones or Endurance vs Fortify Health, the specialized stone is about twice as good for that purpose.
    I've never come across a feather stone in all my reloadings. I'm fairly certain I'm missing out on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgano
    Why do I have no power to change how much +stats/resists/etc? Why can high level items have only one enchantment put on them where drops have more then one (I havent checked can you do this with rings)?
    I think this was an attempt to balance the game, since in Morrowind enchanting was VERY unbalancing. But I also think the randomized sigil stones were a bit of a mistake. In fact, I know it was a mistake. After five or so gates, you won't need to close anymore because you would have already gotten all the enchantments you wanted.

I hope they can somehow fix this in a patch for the future. It would suck, I know, but it does help balance the game more. Then you'd have a reason to close every gate in Cyrodiil.

(Moved to Hints and Spoilers 'cause of all the talk on sigil stone effects. Some may want to be surprised!)

Feather is fairly rare.

Oh I also decided to enchant, with sigil stone, a daedric longsword with +25 lightning damage because of course again enchanting your own is worse.
    You can do 40 fire damage. No idea about lightning, no reason to do it since storm atronachs make such a huge presence.

So fare 9 but i close 3 or 4 a day now so in a week ill tell ya what happens and why does Dadric armor suck so much

It's not that bad. Daedric Armor gives you an AR of around 60. Using a sigil stone with Shield to raise it above that, you can come out with an AR easily over 80. Use multiple stones to get over 100.

Oh, Tuco, I know you were wondering this. For whatever reason, Shield works more like points and not percent. 20% Shield adds 20 points to your AR. 50% shield adds 50 points.
    Last edited by RyushiBlade; 8th Apr 2006 at 17:59.

Quote Originally Posted by RyushiBlade
    It's not that bad. Daedric Armor gives you an AR of around 60. Using a sigil stone with Shield to raise it above that, you can come out with an AR easily over 80. Use multiple stones to get over 100.
    Except... Armor is capped at 85 total.

What! Well that's crap. Why? I didn't see any way to take advantage of the AR system in Morrowind. Hmph. Bummer.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig455
    me too. sometimes im in school, and im like,"when i get home ill close an oblivion gate." i get home and i dont really feel like it.
    Last edited by pur3pwn3r; 8th Apr 2006 at 22:06.

Yeah, I know what you mean, Pure.

Like you, I find myself only motivated to close Oblivion gates when the bully pushes me around too much on the playground. It's not my fault lactose gives me fits of irate rage.

BANNED
    i just get too bored. mostly in english.... and social studies, and science, and relgion, and reading, and math, and, well, you get the point.

BANNED
    I just did 2 more gates. Got +125 FEATHER!!!!!!and +12 agility. Couple of decent rings also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast