TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what should I do with thiefmissions.com?

Thiefmissions.com

So what should I do with thiefmissions.com?

I just had to renew the thiefmissions.com domain for a few more years and that set me to thinking about just what I should do with the site. It was reasonably current as of the time I stopped updating it, but I know there are several FMs that need to be updated to current versions. And there's the whole question of new content. I know other sites stepped in to fill the void left when the site went static, and as far as I can tell they're doing that job well enough.

So, I guess it's a reasonable question: should I keep the site up? I know that bad information is worse than none at all, so if I do keep it running then I'll need to make sure that I'm not sending out old versions of things (and I'd ask for help in identifying those things). But do we really need yet another FM site at this stage in the game?

I know that if the site does persist then I'll be getting rid of some of the more annoying stuff like the download limits and such; the Internet is a bit different these days and the frankly minimal bandwidth the site consumes isn't worth the effort. I'm sure that would elicit a few cheers. I might even let folks rsync the whole collection, if anyone knows what that is. (Someone was asking about pulling down the whole thing recently.)

Why not allow others to upload their missions/updates on your site ?
    All it needs is a small cms and your allowance. Things could run very smooth with very little supervision from your side. Even bandwith could be shared with other sites so there would not need to be much traffic on your bills.

I'd miss the site of it were gone. If you could get it somewhat current that would be great.

I have to thank you again for all the effort over the years. It was so nice to be able to upload a new creation and see it ready for DL so quickly. Not to mention all the behind the scenes dev content you would handle...you were far from a faulty cog!

The Architect
    I think you should keep the site going. The newest FMs you have are still several years old, making updates to that archive very few and far between.

Besides, we'd all be really really sad if the site closed.

jtr7
    Mirrors and historical sites are always welcome.

I still download older FMs from Thiefmissions all the time, and expect them (before a certain date) to be there before the other places. So I hope it stays up.

I would truly hate to see it disappear! I still go there on a regular basis when checking on older FMs. It's so easy to search based on title, game, etc. Sometimes, I just need to figure out what the file name is for a particular mission and it's always easy to find. It would be ideal if you could manage to update it some time but if not, it's still very useful as it stands, in my opinion and a valuable resource.

There are a few missions in your database that are not on a few of the other mission collection sites - ones I never would have discovered if not for your site.. so if it isnt causing you any financial hardship I'd request you keep it up at least until your next renewal. If not, thats fine too - but it seems to be one of the nostalgic cornerstones of this community.

Oh please keep it up! Tough it out from time to time and update it, even if you have no time on a daily basis like the old days. I would be so sad to see it go...

Master Builder 2018
    I obviously can't advise you on what to do with it but if it helps any to know this, I use the site fairly regularly also and find it very useful for many things. It is part of Thief and part of this community for me. It would be a shame to see it gone.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    I think Thiefmissions.com is Classic, and is a Valuable resource. I would hate to see it Vanish. Thanks for your thread, and at least a warning if you do decide to close it, or not to update. It is a Terrific Site!

In addition to the great service your organization has provided with regards to finding older FMs (7 years worth 99-06/07), I don't think there is any site that has all of the lootlists so conveniently placed and organized. It would really devastating to miss out on that last 20 gold loot sitting in an location in one mission or another.

Speaking of lootlists, aside from the few lootlists on some other thief sites or the occasional lootlist on the mission thread or on the author's website, your site is almost the only place to get all of the lootlists (that are available).

I just DL'd from there today! As others have said, its a classic, easy to use. It is truly a valuable asset to the community. I do hope it sticks around for a while.

I used the site often before it went static. I say keep it up, and updated, if you can. There is no such thing as "too many Thief sites."

I'd say please keep it going if you can find the time for maintainance & updating (hate to have to count how many Fms I've d/l from thiefmissions.com.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    It is part of Thief and part of this community
    Yeah, that's how I feel too.

It was my 2nd Thief bookmark - after TTLG. I'd hate to see it go. I still download from there.

Like Outlooker says, it may be an idea to spend a bit of time working out the best way of allowing others to manage their FMs on your site (Username and password access kind of thing). You could pass all uploads by an approval board of some kind if need be (stopping people uploading films and so on) to make it more secure before they are published. Also allow alternative links to downloads from mirrors, that kind of thing.
    If you want you could hook into GarrettLoaders website to show scores for FMs given by the community as well.

Anyway it may be a bit of work to get that in place but will mean you don't need to do very much at all to maintain it.

I go to Cheap Thief Missions first because it's simple and easy to use. Some other sites have a cluttered appearance and are difficult to navigate.

Please keep it open and keep it simple!

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

I too would hate to see it go. If there is anyway you can maintain it the community (which is growing daily) would be missing a vital part of its being.

I don't know what it costs you in time or energy or $$ for that matter. If $$ can help, I'm up for supporting you. Unfortunately my abilities in dealing with a site is abysmal, and my free time is minimal.

If some of the suggestions (a review board, etc.) are feasible, I know there are many qualified and trustworthy members who would gladly share your workload.

Having babbled for long enough, I'll just say that I feel you and THIEFMISSIONS are both valuable assets that should not join GM, FORD, and the rest in vanishing. We NEED you.

haven't you considered enlisting someone to help you with updating the site and so on? I'd gladly help out, for example.

updating the site up to current state of affair is NOT such a big deal as one might think, anyway. I can supply you with the list of new and updated things since you went hiatus (for reference) - it's not that big (probably doable in a few days max if you get up to speed). The worst is actually beginning. I had similar situation after your site stopped updates, I had to catch up in late 2007 (I was postponing it hoping you'd be back), and it went pretty well, and I was largely up and running in a few hours. It went pretty smooth, and the worst was to actually *starting* doing it, as it's a pretty mundane job, I admit.

If you'd interested, I could even upload new/updated stuff to your ftp or I'm sure others would as well.
    Last edited by Hiatus; 3rd Apr 2009 at 08:26.

it's an auld acquaintance man....

[QUOTE=Sticky Fingers;1838110]I'd say please keep it going if you can find the time for maintainance & updating (hate to have to count how many Fms I've d/l from thiefmissions.com.)

and also it IS 'part of the community' We've (soppy musis here) Grown accustomed to its face.....

Here's hoping you leave it up! It's an invaluable resource and would be missed!

It such a wonderful asset to the Thief community, it would be heartbreaking to see it close. I remember downloading my first FM from thiefmissions so many years ago and I still send new players to the site before anywhere else, just because it's so easy to navigate, has a fantastic archive and loads so fast too

I still use it to download the older FMs and custom scripts whenever I need to reinstall as well. I agree with everyone, updating the FMs and allowing people to upload themselves will be a great idea to keep it going for the next few years.

Well, theres your answer
    21 Keep it ups
    0 Take it down
    well 22 keep it up, there is at least one link to your site every month in The Editors Guild it seems.

...and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I would truly hate to see it disappear! I still go there on a regular basis when checking on older FMs. It's so easy to search based on title, game, etc. Sometimes, I just need to figure out what the file name is for a particular mission and it's always easy to find. It would be ideal if you could manage to update it some time but if not, it's still very useful as it stands, in my opinion and a valuable resource.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    As others have said, its a classic, easy to use. It is truly a valuable asset to the community. I do hope it sticks around for a while.
    What they said.

Thiefmissions.com has all the older missions and was for long my main source for new FMs. The best thing with it is the simplicity, the clean interface and most importantly the searchability. The Thief-community wouldn't be the same without it. I kind of get all warm and fuzzy inside when I think about it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast