TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202530354045 ... LastLast

Thread: Freebies for everyone!

No one has mentioned it here, and there was an article on RPS, but I'm incredibly addicted to Warfare 1917.

A strategic platform game set in the trenches of the first world war. It's very simple but highly engrossing. Most of your strategy revolves around when to send your men over, and which reinforcments to focus on.

I'm playing it every day at the moment.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Man, first of all, why in the world would the u.s. air force sponsor a video game? (other than AA, it's obviously makes sense for AA) I mean, what's in it for them? second of all, why does midway feel the need to force us into having an internet connection? that's just lame. Maybe the ads need the internet?
    Midway do a kind gesture for the community and they only ask for you to put up with some online adverts - that are likely only displayed during menus and loading screens, not in the actual game.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Agreed. I think it's cool that games are doing this. FarCry, The Suffering, and now this...all stuff I like playing (though I bought FC)

Hold up. I never said I didn't like the idea in itself, I just meant that I don't like the fact that you have to be online to play a game; if it's a singleplayer game to begin with..

Though I honestly don't care about farcry or the suffering.

Aren't we pretty much always online anyway these days, what w/always-on broadband?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Aren't we pretty much always online anyway these days, what w/always-on broadband?
    Sometimes, Internet connections go out on us. What if we want to play a singleplayer game that shouldn't need an Internet connection like a multiplayer one to pass the time until our Internet connection comes back, but the stupid DRM refuses to let us do so because it can't access the Internet at the moment?

Also, some people like to put games on their laptops and play on the go. A laptop will most likely not have a constant Internet connection, unless the owner's paying up for a data plan from a cell phone carrier (and even then, the carriers' coverage isn't perfect).

Here's the strangest part of all, though-some people just plain don't have Internet access yet. Should they be denied the ability to play singleplayer games that don't need Internet access for anything other than DRM?

Sure, all of us on this forum probably won't have much of a problem with it. However, I still think that requiring an Internet connection for a game that doesn't really need it is just ridiculous.

De Blob Wii free for the PC

Thanks NamelessPlayer. Good response. I was going to say something with far fewer words, but I like your response.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Though I honestly don't care about farcry or the suffering.
    The Suffering's good enough to buy on its own, seriously. It's a fine game.

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessPlayer View Post
    [...]However, I still think that requiring an Internet connection for a game that doesn't really need it is just ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous. In this case the online advert pays for the rights for you to play the game.
    Think of it like shows on commercial television. You don't complain about needing cable to watch those. Still, if you want to, you can buy the same shows on DVD without the adverts, without cable and you can watch those on your laptop while on the move.

DRM requiring an internet connection is a different matter and has nothing to do with the case at hand. But it is indeed annoying regardless.

Chakat sex pillow
    Nice! Never played that one, thanks for the link. I'm gonna give it a try.

Note to all: yes, it's ad-supported.

Hedgewars is a pretty darn good free, open-source clone of Worms Armageddon.

Reviewed at FreewareGenius:

Hedgewars is a very faithful adaptation that sticks to the turn-based model and recreates most of the original elements, from the wacky range of weaponry to the destructible environment, and even the cartoonish look and feel all the way down the little one-liners that the characters utter at the end of each turn...
    Online multiplayer is supported, but at this time, I saw no one playing
    Last edited by doctorfrog; 7th Oct 2008 at 18:22.

Sometimes, Internet connections go out on us. What if we want to play a singleplayer game that shouldn't need an Internet connection like a multiplayer one to pass the time until our Internet connection comes back, but the stupid DRM refuses to let us do so because it can't access the Internet at the moment?

Also, some people like to put games on their laptops and play on the go. A laptop will most likely not have a constant Internet connection, unless the owner's paying up for a data plan from a cell phone carrier (and even then, the carriers' coverage isn't perfect).

Here's the strangest part of all, though-some people just plain don't have Internet access yet. Should they be denied the ability to play singleplayer games that don't need Internet access for anything other than DRM?

Sure, all of us on this forum probably won't have much of a problem with it. However, I still think that requiring an Internet connection for a game that doesn't really need it is just ridiculous.
    But you wouldn't have the game for FREE w/out the ads...If it's such a good game that you just HAVE to play on the go, etc...then buy it. It's like 5 dollars

And where are you using your notebook that there is no internet wifi? Everywhere I take mine (work/school/friends house/restaurants/family) has it. Besides, the last time my cable/internet connection went down was a couple hours well over a year ago. Your DRM argument is pointless when you aren't paying for shit.
    Last edited by gunsmoke; 9th Oct 2008 at 04:31.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    But you wouldn't have the game for FREE w/out the ads...If it's such a good game that you just HAVE to play on the go, etc...then buy it. It's like 5 dollars

And where are you using your notebook that there is no internet wifi? Everywhere I take mine (work/school/friends house/restaurants/family) has it. Besides, the last time my cable/internet connection went down was a couple hours well over a year ago. Your DRM argument is pointless when you aren't paying for shit.
    When the game is paid for through Internet ads, that's another matter entirely. Besides, as you said, such games can generally be bought for a few dollars each, and then you can have the luxury of playing it without needing an Internet connection.

However, I still feel the urge to vent over games that ARE NOT paid for with such ads (meaning that you have to BUY them) and STILL require it anyway when the core game DOES NOT USE IT.

As for Wi-Fi coverage, I guess you just happen to be more fortunate than I am. Half of the time I travel somewhere, there are no Wi-Fi signals. The other half tend to have a mixture of ad-hoc connections that don't allow for Internet access, secured access points that I don't know the keys to, and seemingly unsecured access points that appear to let you connect just fine, but still won't let you access the Internet. Oh, and I almost forgot about the access points that don't have security and let you connect, but the instant you try to open a Web page, you get redirected to an order form to pay for usage. Finally, I don't want to hang around a place I generally have no interest in other than the fact that I can get a good wireless Internet connection there.

Anyway, let's just drop the subject here and now. It's been discussed enough-hell, it's been in here too long and put a nasty stain on this thread. Why don't we get back to talking about other new freeware games instead of letting this escalate into another stupid Internet flamewar (which I sure as hell know it'll end up being with that nasty tone of yours)?

Taking the Death Toll
    instead of letting this escalate into another stupid Internet flamewar (which I sure as hell know it'll end up being with that nasty tone of yours)?
    If you're trying to avoid a flamewar that's not the way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    If you're trying to avoid a flamewar that's not the way to go about it.
    In retrospect, that was a bad move on my part.

However, the general feeling that I get whenever someone uses that apparent tone is that they want to dedicate the rest of their lives to finding out exactly who the hell I am and have that person murdered in the most grisly ways possible, all over a forum post or two. The end result is that I start to get pissed off at whoever was originally pissed off at me, because I won't stand to be eventually murdered over something like a forum post. Psychological flaw? Most likely.

Anyway, this still isn't getting the thread back on topic. I'd try to help with that, but I can't think of any more freeware games that haven't been mentioned here at some point.

Less bitching, more gaming!

It wouldn't be terrible to take this argument to a new thread, where it can dry out and die.

New games, then:

TIGSource had another game making competition! This one had participants selecting an existing property, and 'de-making' it, porting the gameplay mechanics into simpler, less technologically advanced games. They turned Team Fortress II into a side-scroller multiplayer game and Homeworld into a top-down RTS.

Demake Compo: Results!

Winners:
    1. Soundless Mountain II (Silent Hill II)
    2. Gang Garrison II (Team Fortress II)
    3. Aquarium (?)
    4. Little Girl in Underland (Alice)
    5. House Globe (Homeworld)
    6. S.T.A.C.K.E.R. (STALKER inventory management simulator)
    7. Squish (?)
    8. Fillauth (Fallout) / Macarena of the Missing (Limbo of the Lost)
    9. Sexy Seaside Beachball (Boob-physics and vollyball simulator, with 2-bit graphics)
    10. Advanced Set the Rope on Fire Cartridge (Burn the Rope)
    I enjoyed STACKER, which is a surprisingly action-packed Tetris-style inventory-shuffler, with the graphics of a top-end cold-war era computer display. I've heard that Soundless Mountain II can be pretty creepy as well.

Recommended more for those who enjoy exploring raw game concepts, few of these are polished enough to be considered absolutely complete.

Cool, thanks for sharing!

Soundless Mountain 2 IS a winner. Further proof that sound design is key in horror games.

Taking the Death Toll
    Maybe even ZylonBane will like it!

I spent at least an hour playing Gang Garrison 2. That's pretty neat!

---> http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2424.0

a limbo of the lost "demake" lol

edit again: Wow, been checking out this tigsource site.... Thanks to doctorfrog, I now know of a cool indie game site. Thanks man

edit hours later: While browsing that tigSource site, I found a game called Survival Crisis Z, which is of course free. Rather than explaining it myself, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_Crisis_Z And here's the dude's website with the download: http://skasoftware.com/

Basically it is a sandbox-like zombie apocalypse game and there's two modes. Arcade and Story.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 11th Oct 2008 at 01:39. Reason: figured i'd edit this post rather than double post.

I'd normally pace myself, but a Metroid remake just hit a release, and I wanted to give everyone that gave a crap the chance to get it in whatever state it might be before someone powerful shut it down.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

It's based on the only Metroid I've ever played, that is, Metroid II: The Return of Samus, released in six glorious shades of green on the original Game Boy. This version, at least graphically, appears to be brought well up-to-date.

This hasty post brought to you by a paranoia that saw a promising remake of Space Hulk get shut down by short-sighted property holder.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrog View Post
    3. Aquarium (?)
    7. Squish (?)
    Aquarium is definitely a demake of Aquaria, and Squish is apparently a demake of "Crush".

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrog View Post
    You've also got Metroid: SR388 to look forward to, which looks even better in my opinion.

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202530354045 ... LastLast