TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 49141924252627282930313233343944 ... LastLast

Thread: Freebies for everyone!

Level 10,000 achieved

Celebrate 700 posts of free games with K.O.L.M.!

K.O.L.M.

That's a terrible accronym and bears no relation to the story of this platforming game. Although it does bear some relation to the gameplay. Collect enough of the little floating letters and you'll find out what it means.

In KOLM you play a broken robot who must endure half an hour worth of platforming-challenges to repair yourself and become the ultimate weapon of destruction. All the while mother watches though her monitors and comments on your progress. The platforming is solid and the story is mediocre, but no part of this game overstays it's welcome. Play it!

i dunno kolm was okay for a time waster but lacking in a lot of areas. Story was pretentiously lacking - although it added to it a bit, there was still no substance. Liked how you couldn't see at the start but it was kind of downhill after the early stages of the game.

Platforming may have been okay if it wasn't extremely laggy and jerky, especially when entering the larger areas. Input also becomes imprecise due to this, meaning that battles with enemies and bosses are clumsy at best. The game compensates for this with the inability to lose - if you die it just increases a counter and puts you back to the start of the room. i was trying to play the game without killing anyone in case it gave you a different ending (assuming the game was more innovative than it is, considering the slight hype from other sites / reviews) because your character describes the other creatures as brothers early on in the game, but then once you get to the first boss battle and realise you were avoiding combat for no reason.

You can play the game for score but when the controls as clumsy as this and a game that gradually becomes more and more uninspiring towards the end (the last part involves 3 "bosses" spammed in one room to quickly give you three item upgrades - clearly the author got fed up at this point or ran out of ideas) (partly flash's fault but to be honest when you're making a flash game it's not like you shouldn't be aware of this, and others manage the slowdown / input issues better).

i did enjoy it for a while and it was a reasonable waste of time but it just seemed rather pretentious and a bit hollow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Played this one afterwards and much preferred it. More interesting to explore, reasonably satisfying controls and mechanics, better story which while not the best in the world at least has something about it.
    i liked the fact that there are multiple ways to play the game / multiple endings that all fit within the story well. Also there is some mild challenge to one of them - though again you cannot die, there is more pain for messing up at certain parts, due to falling very far and having to repeat your actions if you mess up. The world is more interesting and easier to explore.

This game still suffers from slowdown sometimes, particularly in the snow areas but it is to a far far less extent than that of kolm. There weren't really any control issues either, which always helps a lot. Also, due to the control mechanics, trawling through the world feels like less of a chore than that of kolm - it's a lot more fluid.

Not meaning to piss on your post henke so please don't take it like that - played both games independently and just thought they were rather comparable is all. If you haven't played endeavour, it's quite interesting. Not a world-changer obviously but a nice distraction.

henke, I have a strange feeling that you will appreciate GTA: Doncaster. The humor, references, and gameplay should be right up your alley.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh... the humor in that isn't quite good enough to make up for the lack of gameplay.

And yeah, inselaffe, I played endeavor when it was posted on RPS. Pretty fun. I collected 6 of the diamonds but got bored with it after that.

edit: Raid the human settlements in Goblin War Machine! As you progress you'll earn money to buy new parts for your warmachine. Some levels will require a heavily fortified machine while in others you'll need to strip it down to get lightness and speed to overcome the obstacles.
    Last edited by henke; 17th Jan 2011 at 13:11.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    edit: Raid the human settlements in Goblin War Machine! As you progress you'll earn money to buy new parts for your warmachine. Some levels will require a heavily fortified machine while in others you'll need to strip it down to get lightness and speed to overcome the obstacles.
    When I played this I was plenty surprised. For games developed by New Zealanders, I enter with low expectations, for good reason - more often than not they're absolute pants.

Taking the Death Toll
    That sentence doesn't really mean much when you provide only one example.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

The Rugby League series. The same developer is working on a Union game at the moment, I have no expectations for that either.

You might've heard of the developer's most famous title, Shatter? Super Breakout with neon strobbing, changing the wind's direction and boss battles. It was fairly decent, considering that it was Shadowcat fodder. Sidhe seem to always fuck up royally anything with more complexity.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 19th Jan 2011 at 05:38.

Funnily enough, I was never interested in that game.

Chakat sex pillow
    Shatter's a marvellous little breakout clone. I'm not really interested in bite-sized arcade games, but Shatter has the addictive gameplay down pat. Plus it has the most awesome contemporary arcade soundtrack ever - better even than Bionic Commando: Rearmed's - so what's not to like?

Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso

Juniper Games is pleased to announce that “Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso” is now completely free to download and play.
    With a name like that, how can you not check it out? :)

http://www.juniper-games.com/smoozles/smoozles.htm

Part 1 of Telltale Games' Back to the Future - The Game is free if you enter the coupon "121GIGAWATTS".

Link

Just found a patch to make games made under Game Maker 6 & 6.5 work under Vista & Windows 7: GM Vista Converter. Biggest game I know this applies to is Death Worm, so this is the first time I've been able to play it again in like 2 years.

Level 10,000 achieved
    BeGone

Unity-powered team-based MP FPS in the style of CounterStrike. Pretty fun. A slightly more tactical alternative to Quake Live.

"Smaller boy takes up less space in my heart." LOL

Taking the Death Toll
    help me i can't stop playing stalwart

That was pretty nifty.

indeed. Now this is how you make a musical game.

GOG.com have added another free game to their catalogue to celebrate the site update*: Dragonsphere, a 1994 point-and-click adventure from MicroProse.

* featuring a new downloader (not Adobe Air-based; built-in error correction; still completely optional), and a personal messaging system for members.

Is Dragonsphere any good from a non-nostalgic point of view?

is Best Pony
    John Walker apparently loved it in 1994 but having never played it now or then, I cannot comment further.

Apparently, APB is back and free this time. Source

Haven't tried it yet, so can't vouch for it: 1916: Der unbekannte Krieg seems to be a first-person perspective WWI trench survival horror with velociraptors. Fuck knows, but I'm downloading now.

ARMA 2 multi-player

Quote Originally Posted by RPS
    It’s basically a cut down version of the game, allowing you to play the multiplayer aspect – complete with multiplayer servers and the powerful editor – for free. The original games will remain, and you will need those if you want mod support, the full suite of graphics options, or the story campaigns. This is, then, like a big fancy demo. Of a genuinely great PC game.
    http://www.arma2.com/free
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mgao249jNg
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 11th Jun 2011 at 02:30.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Nifflas (maker of Knytt Stories) is offering Saira for free until 15:00 GMT (10am EST) tomorrow. Go go go!

Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 49141924252627282930313233343944 ... LastLast