TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Super Mario Brothers

New Super Mario Brothers

Nintendo returns to the beloved plumber's roots with New SMB! Too bad I don't own a Nintendo DS, as I thoroughly enjoyed the original Mario games. A return to the classics can be sucessful if done right, and it sounds like Nintendo has got something here.
    Is that considered flirting?
    TNTís Lair
    Citadel Conversion Project

This game made me consider buying a DS. Instead, I decided to wait for the DS Lite.

Just about have world 2 wrapped up. Mega Mario is worth the price of admission alone.

Also: For god's sake Nintendo fire whoever it us that currently names your shit.

Which name do you not like; Mega Mario or New Super Mario Brothers?

BANNED
    Take your pick, E.

It's an interesting game in that it takes stuff from Mario 1, Mario 3, Mario World, and even Mario 64, but in many ways it is a step back from the developement those games made. It is strange running through mario 1-ish levels and then finding a ghost house later on. I'm kind of dissapointed that there aren't more powerups (the leaf for example), but the shell-mario really makes up for any short comings.

Bottom line: It is Mario platforming fun. Recommended

I'm considering getting a DS for hurricane season (seven+ days withoutpowerorschooloranythingtodo is no fun), so I'll probably get around to playing it. I'll most likely grab the Castlevanias first, though.

Moderator and Priest
    The game's layout and style remind me most of Mario 3 with a bit of Mario World thrown into the mix. If you liked those two games, you don't have any reason to pass this one up.

I'll post alot more once I'm a bit farther into it. I wanna get to the secret worlds before I start making a final opinion on the difficulty.

I'm waiting for the DS Lite just for this game and the Brain games. June 11th is going to be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig455
    Take your pick, E.
    Mega Mario is kind of unoriginal IMO, but I didn't think New Super Mario Brothers was that bad of a name. I don't think calling it Super Mario Brothers 4 would have been appropriate.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Putting "New" in the title is always a bad idea. Maybe it sounds good now, but in ten years it won't.

Okay, did Bowser's skin just melt off when he fell in the lava??

Quote Originally Posted by henke
    Putting "New" in the title is always a bad idea. Maybe it sounds good now, but in ten years it won't.
    Joke's on you, New York!

Actually, I think all the "New" names in New England (and that too) are retarded. Then again, almost all names come from boring real words (such as Detroit just being French for "the strait" as in the water between present day Detroit and Canada).

But at least the worst one ever isn't in the US - it's in Canada - Newfoundland

I'll probably get a DS for college-visiting trips this summer. Wee.

I might buy a DS Lite for this game alone... but then I wonder.. what if they port it over to consoles later on? I've never really been a fan of hand-held consoles, when I did own a GBA SP I never really played it at all.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncia
    Joke's on you, New York!
    "New York" is just cool by association. The name in itself ain't cool. And of course time is relative, 10 years is old for a game, not a city. Give it a few thousand years and "New" York will be lollin too. In fact I've seen it brought up in Sci-Fi movies where characters refeer to places like Old New York and New New York.

And yes, I know that there's a good chance that the earth will collide into the sun before the joke gets old so it's not such a serious shortsight putting "New" in city names. But with games it is.

edit: Just in case if anyone still wonders what I'm on about:

A chatroom, 2017 AD:
    h4x0r2015: have ya played new supermario brothers?
    LeeTboi2004: THERE'S A NEW SYUPER MARIOGAME????????+
    h4x0r2015: no the one from 2006 i mean
    LeeTboi2004: LOLLLLLLLLL
    Last edited by henke; 22nd May 2006 at 15:20.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DS can play Gameboy Advance games, can't it? If that's the case, surely it wouldn't be worth it when people could just buy the Advance port of the mighty Super Mario World? I can understand wanting the new Mario Bros game, but is it really worth the price if you can get SMW on the cheap (Again, assuming that this is possible)

Quote Originally Posted by henke
    In fact I've seen it brought up in Sci-Fi movies where characters refeer to places like Old New York and New New York.
    Surely Futurama?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalit
    I might buy a DS Lite for this game alone... but then I wonder.. what if they port it over to consoles later on?
    Magic 8-Ball says "highly unlikely". Games are ported to handheld once the handheld is powerful enough to run them, but the reverse is highly unlikely. The game typically wouldn't go over well in a regular console setting. Besides, Super Paper Mario is coming out for Gamecube, so I can't see them porting a completely separate platformer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shevers
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DS can play Gameboy Advance games, can't it? If that's the case, surely it wouldn't be worth it when people could just buy the Advance port of the mighty Super Mario World? I can understand wanting the new Mario Bros game, but is it really worth the price if you can get SMW on the cheap (Again, assuming that this is possible)
    Definately possible, and I have done so. Yoshi's Island is also a possibility. Feel free to play whatever Mario games you want on the system

Which, come to think of it, means every major Mario game aside from Sunshine. Even the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 can be played via import of the Famicom Mini release.

Level 10,000 achieved

GUESS WHAT

The game that came out in 2006 and then again in 2012 is doing the unthinkable. It's coming out... AGAIN. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is droppin' on da Switch tomorrow.

Reviews are at 80%, and I'm probably gonna buy it!

About that title tho, not so "New" anymore is it? HA HA HA! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING HA HA HA

oh wait

whats this

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    WOW WHAT A NOSTRADAMUS

haha you put a smile on my face when I needed it, thanks henke!

-then I looked at the original post date, over 12 years ago holy balls, now I'm depressed again.

That and seeing Enchantermon, Gunny, Stitch, Scots, & Aerothorn posting... Not sure any one of them has posted in several years... I mean aside from Scots of course.

On topic... but this is new deluxe. That's completely different!

Moderator and Priest
    GOD, WE'RE ALL SO OLD!

Well, you all are. I'm still bright eyed and bushy tailed as fuuuhhhhh.

Moderator and Priest
    Yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast