TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Bridge - T3FM 22/05/2006

Did you learn this stuff yourself or used Komags tutorials? Also what is the maximum size roughly you can make a mission? They can't be as large as DromED ones can they?

yeah I jumped up in the fork of all those trees, I tried to catch the leaves, tried to shoot one with a broadhead, but at first I just STOOD there watching them. I had to practice for 10 minutes jumping off off pipes before i felt confident enough to climb to the top of that pipe and jump to that balcony. you should have seen me I had all the guards out cold and I was dragging, pushing, pulling, anf throwing anything that would move into big piles all over the place to try and get up onto the roof-tops or over a fence. BTW Str8G8 that was a dirty trick having a set of stairs going down into the water on the other side of a fence but blocked by and invisible wall. also over by the locksmith in an alley there was a locked gate. I climbed over it was anybody able to find a key to it?

Guys, you make me nervous
    How could I skip so much pleasure???

Quote Originally Posted by str8g8
    The Bridge v1.1 can be downloaded at cheap thief missions. ...
    Thank you very much str8g8, for this beautiful FM... it's wonderful!

Best regards
    Angelo
    (moderator of the Thief-Italy official forum)

I played it one more time yesterday but with my headphones this time. It's amazing how much atmosphere the ambient sound adds! Sound: 10/10

Did you learn this stuff yourself or used Komags tutorials? Also what is the maximum size roughly you can make a mission? They can't be as large as DromED ones can they?
    I'm not sure but I do believe T3 fm's can be roughly the same size as T2 fm's but you're gonna have to use a lot of zone portals.

Quote Originally Posted by ~s:a:n:i:t:y~
    Guys, you make me nervous
    How could I skip so much pleasure???
    (Like hey, it's just my very small Thief's Highway fetish, but I like it.)

Also I pushed for free-form climbing, within Postal2, for their hillsides.
    (And then I took a very simple ivy-covering for a small house-sized trellis, fitted it to their P2 ladder-piece, set at about 75 degrees, and then proceeded to create a fairly tall vine-covered mountain side that lead down to a nice and quiet chinese pond.)

So, Sanity, with a little time and lots of patience, even our not-too-graceful T3 Garrett might even "learn to climb trees", perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Tithian
    I'm not sure but I do believe T3 fm's can be roughly the same size as T2 fm's but you're gonna have to use a lot of zone portals.
    Oh right. So it's just the loading parts that stop the game from feeling as large, level wise as the other Thief games?

Thats not what a zone portal is but might have something to do with it...

Go on then extrapolate...

Man, I should know these technical stuff by now. I mean I have only like a few more hours of work on my first t3 fm.

Man, I should know these technical stuff by now. I mean I have only like a few more hours of work on my first t3 fm.
    Did you teach yourself or use Komag's tutorials?

I see no reason why T3FMs cannot be as big T1\T2 ... as far as I understand it, the size of the T3 OMs were limited more by the xbox's 64 meg memory limit - everything, textures, geometry, animations, had to fit into that. The PC doesn't have that kind of arbitrary limit so T3FMs are only limited in terms of performance, and as Tithian says, efficient portalling could make huge levels possible. (Portalling is just a way of splitting the level up into zones, so the engine only draws what it needs to).

In answer to your question, I did use Komag's tutorial to get started, and also the excellent wiki, and the support of all the other mappers over on the T3 Editor's Guild. They are a really talented bunch, and always ready to answer any questions or problems when you get stuck. I recently released a resource pack (it's on my web page) containing all the custom textures and models I used in the Bridge ...

Thanks buddy, I can't open your webpage with IE7 beta...

Quote Originally Posted by str8g8
    In answer to your question, I did use Komag's tutorial to get started, and also the excellent wiki, and the support of all the other mappers over on the T3 Editor's Guild. They are a really talented bunch, and always ready to answer any questions or problems when you get stuck.

What he said. But there's a whole lot you can learn by trial and error and by examining the OM's in the editor.

str8g8, why didn't dr. straitgaite make it into the final release?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahoney
    Thanks buddy, I can't open your webpage with IE7 beta...
    The Strait Gait THIEF Site
    (Just a bit too much "http://" in his address and I used to do the same thing.)

I should've realised...

I believe they can't, at least not nearly as big and complicated as large T2 missions, f.e. Life of the Party or Calendras. They can be big in terms of space, but then there won't be nearly as much indoor locations.

I see no reason why T3FMs cannot be as big T1\T2 ... as far as I understand it, the size of the T3 OMs were limited more by the xbox's 64 meg memory limit - everything, textures, geometry, animations, had to fit into that.
    The reason is the ugly and underdeveloped engine, not memory. And the best proof are T3FMs that we already have and experience of their authors. How much time would it take from you to make a mission like Midnight in Murkbell for TDS? 30 or 50 years?
    Last edited by 242; 16th Jun 2006 at 06:21.

Finished playing it today. Very very nice. I really enjoyed it. Played on hard, found 89% of the loot and 3 special items. I just couldn't find the
    spoiler:
    golden mouse in the kitchen.
    I loved the details and the atmosphere is awesome.

The only problem I had was a technical one. The game slowed down every once in a while. The further I got with playing the more it slowed down. After entering the store and moving beyond the "privat" sign, it was in slow motion almost 98% of the time. I removed the high resolution package and made sure that nothing is running on my system beside apps I really need (System: P4, 2.13 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 6800). Still, no change. As soon as I left the store, it started to speed up again. I started other FMs to see if I get the same problem, but all is good so far.

"The Bridge" is definatly a great mission. Thanks for the hard work!!!
    Last edited by assassine; 17th Jun 2006 at 11:13.
    What's with the hood?

I'm using the pinnacle game profiler Zomag reccomended and the Pinnacle staff did a Thief DS profile which works a dream on the 360 controller !

I really had fun with this FM, great architecture, good ideas, the paintings for the loading screens, the plot, going for the perrin & Grimworth finally after all those years! the coloured light from the window!

Great Job, really, I really had the feeling of playing the old fashioned thief again, like the old Times!

Great work on this one! My first thought as it opened was . . . I'm back in Thief 2!! And I mean that in a good way!

Hey, I can't find a way to reach you from your site... so I'll post here.

I found a broken link on your site in the Artwork section - "The City" digital painting is downloadable, but clicking on "The Bridge" link results in a 404 Not Found. Can you fix this? I'd love to snag that one too!

Thanks a bunch...

Pootzwacke: finally got around to fixing the link, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Kremin has done an Italian translation for the Bridge, and so I have updated it to v1.2. Get it from cheap thief missions.

It really blows me away that someone would take the time and effort to do this. Cheers

No other changes for now as I have moved on to other things. There is still some stuff that I would have like to do but I would rather do a big update at a later date than just tinker for the sake of it.

No Readables!!!!!

I have read in the posts that people have had some problems with video and text.... but nothing that sounds like the problems I am having!!!! I have had no problems with video or with objectives.... It's just I can't read anything in the game.... like a sheet of paper on the ground or a book on the table I can't even read the plaque outside the Key Makers shop???? In the main courtyard with the sheets of paper all over the place when I try to read, all I get is (Book' Bridge Tribune not found) and when I try to read the book on the table in the guard shack by the bridge....I get (Book' Bridge Guard Journal not found) and so on for everything else I try to read????????????????????????

I do have to agree with everyone else though........ this is probably the most visually stunning Thief Fan Missions I have ever played!!!!!.... I just want to play it to it's full potential!!!!!

Thanks in Advance
    Donkay

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast