TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SYSTEMSHOCK-Portable

SYSTEMSHOCK-Portable

Please help me test this. It's meant to be a small, easy implementation of SS1 that you can run from anywhere (USB key, external/local HD) without further hacks.
    Last edited by Kolya; 8th Aug 2006 at 17:05.

Works reasonably well -and out of the box- on my computer. Well done.

It does work here, too.

However you are missing file called Vddloader.dll. I do have VDMSound installed so dosdrv.exe finds it.

Does sound work for those user who don't have installed VDMSound?

It worked on a system without VDMSound installed for me, but if problems with sound occur for other people I know what to look for, thanks.

Works great. Slightly longer loading times when I run it on a USB stick, but it's playable without any glitches.

Works good! The bundled VDMsound seems to be sufficient as I don't have it installed otherwise.

However, I think you should warn people in the readme about the crash that occurs when starting a new game if the cursor is outside of the 320x200 screen area - this can easily happen if you move the cursor just after pressing the Start button. If only there were a smarter mouse driver tweak that could detect what screen resolution is being used at any given moment...

Great job putting all this together Kolya, I've been wanting to replay it recently but put off by all the fiddling that has to be done.

Yes, I find it best to throw the mouse into the top-left corner of the screen and use the keyboard to select the game to load or startup options.

Thank you guys, yeah this will go into the new readme. And the error message ("com port 1") that Nameless Voice told me about was reported again by my sis. As far as I know it's save to ignore this message.

Yes, it's safe to ignore it. I just wish I knew how to make it go away...

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya
    Thank you guys, yeah this will go into the new readme. And the error message ("com port 1") that Nameless Voice told me about was reported again by my sis. As far as I know it's save to ignore this message.
    Yes same is happening here. Com1 and Com2. No problems, just ignore.
    1024x768 is a bit sluggish on my P4 3.06 GHz - especially with the fullscreen mode - is this happening for everyone or is there somewhat a problem ?

EDIT : nevermind, I read ToxicFrog's original thread and got my answer

Hmm, seems to work fine... to an extent. I can't view the movies and the screen just turns black if I try to change the resolution to 640x480/1024x768.

Rig: Geforce 6600 GT, A64 3200, win xp

I forgot to say this: If you want to play on 800x600 just change the "Video Mode" in the game to "640x400" instead.

Spitter: I don't really know... Did you try the winxp fix for Geforce4 cards?
    Last edited by Kolya; 19th Jun 2006 at 07:41.

Does that for me too, which is annoying.
    GeforceFX 5500, Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, Win XP SP2, Sony SDM-HS93 (just in case it's a monitor setting I missed, which was my first thought since trying to change the resolution turned the monitor off)

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya
    Spitter: I don't really know... Did you try the winxp fix for Geforce4 cards?
    Yeah, no luck. I also tried 800x600, but I get visible Unsupported Resolution bugged up artifacts on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H
    Yes same is happening here. Com1 and Com2. No problems, just ignore.
    1024x768 is a bit sluggish on my P4 3.06 GHz - especially with the fullscreen mode - is this happening for everyone or is there somewhat a problem ?

EDIT : nevermind, I read ToxicFrog's original thread and got my answer
    Briar, could you post the solution/problem explanation here also? There's 5 pages of that other thread to wade through.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have a 128mb GF4200 and an AthlonXP 1700+; 1024x768 runs pretty smoothly with it. I needed to apply the Geforce4 fix, but apart from that there were no graphics problems - nor even a COM-port error. Speaking of, why is that occurring for some people and not others I wonder?

Ziemanskye + Spitter: Try changing the resolution to 1280x1024 as described on SBF if your monitor supports that. The same way you can reset the resolution bindings to defaults and try playing at 640x480.

Tell me what happens please so I can extend the "Troubleshooting" on this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil
    Briar, could you post the solution/problem explanation here also? There's 5 pages of that other thread to wade through.
    No solution. ToxicFrog suggests in the OP of that thread that this sluggishness is a page flipping issue (and therefore not resolvable).
    I find it strange that there's no problem at all on your Athlon... Thus, there may be more to it than memory management, but actually it's very playable in the current state and I'm not seeking absolute perfection there, so

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil
    nor even a COM-port error. Speaking of, why is that occurring for some people and not others I wonder?
    I'm using Windows 2K and not XP, that's the only thing I see.

I'm using Windows XP, and still get that COM port error.
    I always thought it was the game looking for a mouse or joystick on the serial ports in some illegal-direct-hardware-access way Windows doesn't like.
    Out of curiosity, what type of port are your mice plugged into?
    Mine's using USB. Maybe the problem only happens when you don't have a PS/2 or serial mouse installed?

USB mouse and winXP here. And no com-error as you know. So that's not it.

Released version 0.3 which is 14MB smaller.
    This version only supports resolutions of 1024x768 and 800x600. (See the readme for instructions on 800x600).
    The high resolution patcher ("ss1hr.exe") by Toxic Frog is not included with this version anymore. It's downloadable seperately on SBF anyway.
    Last edited by Kolya; 19th Jun 2006 at 11:50.

0.3, and still with trying to change the resolution (even with twiddled CDShock.bat) it just blacks out or kills my monitor.

Blacks out on the 640x480 button, turns the monitor off on the 640x400.

Is there anyway to force this so it plays in a window rather than full screen?
    (Might at least make successful/not resolution changes more obvious)

Got it working in 640x480 by using the ss1hr.exe and defaulting the 1024 res back to 640 one. Videos play back now, too.

Could you please try a newly extracted version 0.3 + the MonitorKillPatch.zip I just uploaded to SBF? Unzip this into the game dir.
    It contains MOK's unchanged cdshock.exe and a corresponding cdshock.bat.
    It should let you play at 640x480.

I know you got that working already Spitter, but please confirm if it works for you too. Thanks.

Monitor kill patch thing works fine at 640x480, should I test to see if I can force higher on it?

My guess is that brings you back to your monitor problems.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast